Thread indicator

Wow, very nice..... And in your first 10 posts to boot, you do realize that you have set a very high bar for yourself as our expectations from you will be pretty great moving forward. :p
Be careful that you don't fall into the same trap that most of us have, where our machines only keep us to improve themselves....... You might not even realize that it's happening. :eek::oops::p

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Rather than welding on a mounting bracket I would consider a mechanical mount. That way there would be some latitude for adjustment.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good idea

Besides, cast iron is easy to drill and tap. But not so easy for us mere mortals to weld. You don't even have to clean up the paint.

You have a gorgeous thread dial so far, why risk ruining it with a weld you would rather hide.

glenhw

Besides, cast iron is easy to drill and tap. But not so easy for us mere mortals to weld. You don't even have to clean up the paint.

You have a gorgeous thread dial so far, why risk ruining it with a weld you would rather hide.
I have made all the parts out of stainless except the gear so far there is hole taped on the lathe for it already hope it all turns out

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have made all the parts out of stainless except the gear so far there is hole taped on the lathe for it already hope it all turns out

Is the carriage/apron drilled and tapped for mounting a threading indicator already?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
done for the day now i have to make the diale and weld on a mounting bracket i am going to laser engrave the dial and top od the cylinder for markings

Are sure you have not done a crap load of machining already? That doesn't look like beginner work to me at all.

If you really are a beginner, you missed your career calling and should be making aerospace parts at this point in your life.

glenhw

Are sure you have not done a crap load of machining already? That doesn't look like beginner work to me at all.

If you really are a beginner, you missed your career calling and should be making aerospace parts at this point in your life.
No first parts on the lathe just bought a king canada colum mill and then this lathe i have found a super 7 myford lathe that i will rebuild this winter

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
No first parts on the lathe just bought a king canada colum mill and then this lathe i have found a super 7 myford lathe that i will rebuild this winter
Well you are doing really well. I second the idea of making some sort of clamp on bracket. Allows for mistakes that are easier to hide.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Yup, you missed your calling then. By now you should be making aerospace parts for $50k a pop. ;)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
A quick search of images for "threading dial" gives a pretty good assortment of methods/ideas for attaching the body to the lathe. I'm sure you'll find an idea that will match the elegance of the body.
Well done.