• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tecnico's Shop Window

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Lol! I have steadfastly avoided letting myself be sucked into that black hole. I have enough things on my wish to do list without adding another. I just finished fixing a camera and I’m thinking about another to make one more out of two….:rolleyes:

It would be good to have a friend with one though…..;)

D. :cool:
I totally agree. It's very easy to develop that hammer syndrome where everything looks like a nail. OTOH, custom things like hose attachments really can't be easily solved by anything but a 3D printer. Yes. one can use a slip roll, shear, brake and welder to make some custom ones. Or make wooden ones as patterns and cast metal ones from that.

But I do know people who have moved to the dark side and the metal/wood shop gets very little attention unless it's to build something for the 3D printer.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Couldn't agree more, yet I'm still trying to resist... But for me at least, the biggest draw for getting a 3d printer has been the idea of printing my own shopvac hose fittings...
And now the scary part! the 3D printing is easy and ultimately not that expensive both in time and parts since you can leave it unattended for the 8 hours it takes to print something big.

The real part of 3D printing is the CAD drawings that are turned into STL files which are turned into G-Code. If you aren't using CAD yet that's the place to start. And if you're not sure what needs to be drawn, pick something. I gained a lot of experience by creating an assembly for my Gingery Lathe. I'd already built the lathe but I took Dave Gingery's drawings and turned them into 3D parametric and then combined them into an assembly. Totally just for practice.

Compound Slide Assembly.jpg
I didn't do the whole lathe. Just the compound and then a few other bits when I converted it to use my Electronic Lead Screw.

Six O Two

(Marco)
the 3D printing is easy and ultimately not that expensive both in time and parts

I've managed to stay proficient enough with Solidworks even though I switched out of that line of work a long time ago, so I'm fine with the CAD part, although I could see how it might be steep learning curve for others who aren't familiar with the parametric 3d modelling paradigm. My personal opposition to 3d printing is mostly because I'd prefer to not contribute to the mountains of plastic being generated currently and I fear that the minute I got one, I'd manage to fill bins upon bins of garbage plastic from non-conforming parts. Maybe when home laser-sintering machines become affordable, I'll jump in then, lol.

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
I've managed to stay proficient enough with Solidworks even though I switched out of that line of work a long time ago, so I'm fine with the CAD part, although I could see how it might be steep learning curve for others who aren't familiar with the parametric 3d modelling paradigm. My personal opposition to 3d printing is mostly because I'd prefer to not contribute to the mountains of plastic being generated currently and I fear that the minute I got one, I'd manage to fill bins upon bins of garbage plastic from non-conforming parts. Maybe when home laser-sintering machines become affordable, I'll jump in then, lol.

Another Solidworks (Mechanical Desktop/Inventor/CREO/NX) driver here.

I agree with your thoughts on all the junk I could create on a whim with good intentions!

D :cool:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
It’s time to follow up on a project I started a while back that started out with making a bushing with a fixed internal key. That thread is here:

Keyed Bushing Thread

The bushing was the starting point for re-powering the drill press my father made from scratch, including castings, about 70 years ago. The project is adapting a treadmill motor/controller with the objective of increasing the speed range and getting rid of a two stage belt drive I had added some years ago.

I wanted to use the multi-vee drive belt system the treadmills have so I needed to make a new driven pulley, the challenges there were cutting the grooves and fitting a brass plain bushing/bearing in the pulley. As it turned out, once I ground a tool for the groove profile, machining it was easy, about the same as cutting a thread without the helix.

TW-36.jpg

Fitting the bushing was a bit of an exercise in math and careful machining. I was aiming to hit the same ID size of the existing bushing and cut the OD so it was a press fit in the pulley housing. If I recall, I aimed for about .0025 for the press fit. I actually fit the bushing in the aluminum pulley using differential expansion (heat) rather than pressing it in.

After doing the math, I put the bushing in the fridge and the pulley in the oven and the bushing just dropped in loosely until the pulley cooled down. I think I used 400F/204C. That was my first try at doing something like that so I was quite pleased at how it worked out.

TW-37.jpg

The rest of the story is the treadmill motor and drive electronics. I grafted the treadmill adjustable motor mount onto a plate that bolts nicely to the drill press bracket and adapted the electronics.

The treadmill uses a PWM controller that gets its speed setting inputs from a set of analog membrane switch buttons so after a bit of tracing the circuits of each button press I was able to mimic them with a single button and a rotary switch. I also incorporated a dedicated switch to replace the STOP button of the treadmill.

What this gave me was the option of up to 9 speeds ranging from very slow to fast plus fine adjust and all I had left to do was measure the speeds and mark my switch settings.

There are several reasons I went this way vs. an SCR controller and a potentiometer etc. First I wanted to use as much of the free material I salvaged from the treadmill as possible rather than inventing things. I also didn’t want to break new ground for me like understanding SCR controllers.

Using the control electronics from the treadmill takes advantage of its built in safety controls. I had read the article by Days (Dazecars.com/YouTube) where he blew up the same power board because his band saw grabbed and stalled. He didn’t use the treadmill control board.

The complete treadmill power & control system gives me the overload safety function that's built into the control board. If the motor is overloaded the controller senses this and “folds back” the drive power until the overload is removed or the machine is shut down.

I mounted the power & control boards in a 8 x 10 x 4 metal enclosure made by Bud Industries that I bought on Amazon, amazingly cheap at ~$20, delivered.

TW-38.jpg

The “finished” product looks like this (Awaiting painting and a belt guard….):

TW-39.jpg

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Next Project: Standard Modern 1120 Model 2000 Lathe

I've acquired the 1120 series 2000 Standard Modern lathe discussed THIS THREAD and I'm making this the home of discussions about cleaning it up and bringing it back on stream.

First off, I went and picked it up about a couple of weeks ago. I rented a U-Drive pickup and motorcycle trailer which is lighter than their dual axle trailer. It turned out well because to load we had to move the trailer across the lawn by hand and then hook up the truck. The lathe was in a shed at the back corner of the lawn with trees and clothesline poles providing obstacles. Luckily, while the lawn wasn't frozen or covered in snow it was firm enough to drive on. I did have to drive around the house & over the front lawn, staying away from the septic tank, to get back to the driveway!

With a bit of finagling we put the lathe on the wheeled dolly I had previously built to move my First mill and easily rolled it up on the trailer for the trip home.

TW-40.jpg

After a bit of digging in the basement, the seller turned up a 1HP, single phase Baldor motor, a couple of well used 3 jaw chucks, a Rohm ½” drill chuck/MT3 arbour, a couple lantern tool posts and a of bunch of matching tool holders. I am missing the curved boat(?) from both though. One chuck has a D1-6 backing plate but the pinions are cracked, the other has no backing plate.

Generally the machine looks OK although covered in a thick layer that looks sort of like Cosmoline but I imagine it’s just old, dried oil. The ways generally look good although by the tailstock will need some clean-up. I got to lift the cover of the gearbox and it has a fill of thick, clean looking oil and everything inside looks great. What I could see of the QC geabox looked just as good. Cosmetically someone seems to have partially painted parts of the machine (with Tremclad??) so I’m thinking eventually I want it all one color.

Big picture: I think I have acquired a machine in fundamentally good shape with some clean up and TLC required.

TW-41.jpg

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
First question:

I'm not sure that the motor pulley that came with the machine is correct, it's a two step unit and the dimensions are as follows:

Overall width = 1.480
Small pulley OD = 3.570
Small pulley minor dia. = 2.47
Large pulley OD = 4.500
Large pulley minor dia = 3.400
Shaft size = 5/8

Anyone out there with an 1120 Series 2000 that can confirm that I have the right pulley?

Thanks,