• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Tap handle Starrett 91B or Greenfield #4?

Tool

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm looking for a quality tap handle about 9" long.
This style.....
91a.jpg

From what I have read:

+ The old Starrett handles are really good and hold the tap very tightly and the handle does not loosen up while using.
+ The new Starrett handles have heat-treat and other issues and are simply not a quality tool anymore since the company was sold

+ Greenfield (vintage) highly rated, not sure if the handle stays tight (really don't want a tool that constantly needs to be re-tightened while using.

Anyone use the Greenfield #4?
Anyone tried both?

Comments please.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I purchased a new Starrett 91B tap handle from ITM last year. I've only used it 20 times or so, but I am a big fan. It does an incredible job of staying tight which was the main reason I got it as that is my biggest gripe from all the cheap tap handles. I've not used the greenfield model.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
+1 on the Starrett handles, I have the A and B sizes and they are simply a dream to use.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I'll add that I was also going to try and buy a second hand one, and I'm sure I could have eventually found a cheaper one, but all the second hand ones on ebay were more expensive than new from ITM

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I purchased a new Starrett 91B tap handle from ITM last year. I've only used it 20 times or so, but I am a big fan. It does an incredible job of staying tight which was the main reason I got it as that is my biggest gripe from all the cheap tap handles. I've not used the greenfield model.

Thanks for that, yes some of the eBay sellers are out of control . I just placed an order with ITM, Free shipping, I hope I get a good one.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I might have a Greenfield. Sure looks like the Amazon pic. Its 'OK' but Starrett is nicer (although also nutty expensive these days). I could post a pic if you're interested.
I'm wondering if they used to be nicer & subsequently sold their soul (ebay pic looks different)

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Starrett 91B on the way.

Does look very similar to Moore & Wright, when I searched M&R I find quite a few small "Engineer" handles (3-4" long) did M&R make them a bit larger ~9" long?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There must be something about the way a tap handle is used that makes them come loose. ALL of mine do that. Both big and small. I hate it!

What do you think the chances are that this 91B is genuine? They also have a 91A.

Gee I thought the previous Amazon link to the Greenfield wrench was even more suspect!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gee I thought the previous Amazon link to the Greenfield wrench was even more suspect!

Ya, but at least that one ships from Amazon direct. The Starretts ship from someplace outside of Canada....... :oops:

Last edited:
Ya, but at least that one ships from Amazon direct. The Starretts ship from someplace outside of Canada.......
Ya but the price doesn't seem to be even in the right ball park and close examination of the picture looks to me like the Amazon version is made cheaply from cast parts like a Canadian Tire model whereas pics of the genuine article show parts with more angular edges that are clearly carefully machined.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
What do you think the chances are that this 91B is genuine?

Step right up, spin the wheel, everybody's a winner!

I wouldn't buy from Amazon if there was an alternative, you don't know what you'll get. Starrett has an office and warehouse in Canada, in Mississauga. Not sure if they sell direct, but if you call KBC I believe they will price match. otoh you're left paying for shipping.....I'd ask what KBC can do for you....they have to be feeling the pressure from Amazon and I believe there are very large margins on the stuff.

The other thing to try is find some little local industrial supply place. They're all over. If you find an intelligent one, because they don't stock it, bringing one in for you at a discount to get your sale is still like found money

I'm thinking the cat's meow would be to make my own. But before I did that I would need to experience the genuine top models to understand why they have the reputation.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
before I did that I would need to experience the genuine top models to understand why they have the reputation.
It would be a good project. You're welcome to drop by and test tap a few lol. Aside from the mechanical function, the Starretts are so nice because of the feel, they've got the shape and finish right. It'll be a lot of filing and polishing, which can be rewarding in its own right.

I've been fortunate to get a few over the years as part of complete tool kit purchases, but I can't believe what they want for them now. For a tradesman, the 91C + HST is going to be over a days work after tax, cripes even before tax....I can't imagine they are a big seller.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
if you call KBC I believe they will price match. otoh you're left paying for shipping.....

Good idea. I will give them a call. I am an hour away from their store in Oldcastle. I get over that way fairly often cuz 3 of my kids live that direction. I'd prolly try to get all 3 Starretts and then sell (or give away) my other handles of that size. Not the 3/4 or 1 inch though - they are crap too but nothing to replace them with that I can afford.