• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Table clamp

Crosche

Super User
Cool model Chad. Thanks for posting. I want to make four ... too many projects. :p

Same problem! I am currently working on a carriage stop w/ dial indicator mount for my lathe and would like to make a couple more table clamps and I have two tomahawks that are 80% done...whew!!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Cool model Chad. Thanks for posting. I want to make four ... too many projects. :p
Follow up questions... The threaded hole 1/4-20 is defined as D=0.201". Steel is suggested to use .2188" for 50% thread. What is your thinking there Chad? Interesting. Did you make jaws too? Care to show off? :) Nice project.

1587434650821.png

Crosche

Super User
Follow up questions... The threaded hole 1/4-20 is defined as D=0.201". Steel is suggested to use .2188" for 50% thread. What is your thinking there Chad? Interesting. Did you make jaws too? Care to show off? :) Nice project.

View attachment 8747

I drill with #7 drill and then tapped. My thinking was that the 1/4" bolt seemed the appropriate size with respect to the proportions of the clamp. Also, I thought that it would provide sufficient thread engagement.
I did not make the hardened jaw because I lacked material of sufficient thickness and wound up giving the clamp to a good friend and fellow knife maker. He has a cnc and plenty of material for the jaw. :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey John,

Could you please convert Chad's file to dxf format and post it for me?

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks @Janger

Neither QCAD or LibreCAD displayed anything useable. Is there another format that would give me the basic dimensions?

Craig

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
With Fusion it does not show dimensions either - you have to make a print drawing from the model and indicate which features need dimension lines ie click on an edge and draw out where you want the numbers to be laid out on paper. Are those other CAD programs like that too? Post a screen shot of what you mean?

Crosche

Super User
With Fusion it does not show dimensions either - you have to make a print drawing from the model and indicate which features need dimension lines ie click on an edge and draw out where you want the numbers to be laid out on paper. Are those other CAD programs like that too? Post a screen shot of what you mean?

Sorry guys, I should have been on top of this. I have a CAD file that I will upload.

Crosche

Super User
See if you guys can get this to work for you. BTW, I drew this from memory so it may not be exactly the same as the one I machined, but it's pretty darn close.

Attachments

• Clamp.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 0

trlvn

Ultra Member
That worked a lot better. When imported to CADintosh X, I had to adjust the scale by 25.4 X. My software isn't reading the file's scale (if one exists) and is defaulting to mm. Adjusting to 25.4 times changes it to an inch scale. This is what I see:
Milling table clamp import.jpg

Craig

Crosche

Super User
That worked a lot better. When imported to CADintosh X, I had to adjust the scale by 25.4 X. My software isn't reading the file's scale (if one exists) and is defaulting to mm. Adjusting to 25.4 times changes it to an inch scale. This is what I see:
View attachment 8756

Craig

Good! That looks like it worked out for you.

eotrfish

Super User
I was able to import the .dwg file into Inventor, remodel and make an Inventor drawing. Note that some of the dimensions on the original should have been reference (x.xxx) dimensions.

1587489668100.jpg