Stuart 10V Steam Engine Build

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking very good. I hope when I get to mine, I di as good of a job with it all as you are doing with yours.

I've seen a few YouTube videos of a Stuart build but most of them seem to be of different models or they are just the finished product itself, not the build. Have you come across any good build videos that you would recommend?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Thanks folks, still have a long way to go.
DP - here are a few of links to 10V builds, you need to filter and choose the the ways of doing things that seem best for you but all are good info.

Machining the Stuart 10V Steam Engine Castings - Part 1 - YouTube this one is long and takes a lot of coffee

http://homews.co.uk/page42.html this one is done entirely on the lathe and has jigs and holding fixtures

There are more but those are the ones I watch most. Joe Pie and Blondehacks build a different brand but the process is still the same just different ways of going about it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Figured it's about time for an update, not as far along as I'd hoped but still making progress. The bottom end is pretty much done, next will be starting on the cylinder. It seems I spend as much time figuring out fixtures and mandrels as working on the engine parts,lol. It ended up I over bored the flywheel but a piece of .001 shim stock wrapped around the crankshaft tightened it up nicely. I put what I've done together and all spins with no resistance. :D So far so good.

Attachments

• P1010909.JPG
    P1010909.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010911.JPG
    P1010911.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010912.JPG
    P1010912.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010913.JPG
    P1010913.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 10

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
p1010909-jpg.22655

What the heck is that skinny long drill bit about?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never seen a drill bit that long. Where does one get such things?
I was in the Restore today and saw some drill bits that were about 36" long! Shaft was smaller diameter than the drill portion. Guessing for running wires, not machining, but they were tempting.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've never seen a drill bit that long. Where does one get such things?

Just plug long drills into Amazon. If you want good ones, call Varco or Fastenal or Grainger.

I am like others here, I inherited some beauties from my father in law.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've collected quite a few from various complete kit purchases over the years, and have also made many drills and reamers by silver soldering on extensions

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've collected quite a few from various complete kit purchases over the years, and have also made many drills and reamers by silver soldering on extensions
Let’s see some silver soldered extensions. I’ve tig welded a few.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks folks, still have a long way to go.
DP - here are a few of links to 10V builds, you need to filter and choose the the ways of doing things that seem best for you but all are good info.

Machining the Stuart 10V Steam Engine Castings - Part 1 - YouTube this one is long and takes a lot of coffee

http://homews.co.uk/page42.html this one is done entirely on the lathe and has jigs and holding fixtures

There are more but those are the ones I watch most. Joe Pie and Blondehacks build a different brand but the process is still the same just different ways of going about it.
That fellow's channel is really good. That's where I saw the Hemmingway knurler I'm going to build.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I'll start a thread, don't want go so much OT on Stuart build
I just went thru the welding folder and there is no thread for silver soldering which is something I need to learn. To many broken bandsaw blades sitting in the corner. This will be a good topic for a thread of it's own, a lot of time is spent searching for things that are buried off topic in other threads.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just went thru the welding folder and there is no thread for silver soldering which is something I need to learn. To many broken bandsaw blades sitting in the corner. This will be a good topic for a thread of it's own, a lot of time is spent searching for things that are buried off topic in other threads.