Starrett Stuff

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Stel, I have a can of axel grease near my metrology stuff for gluing things like wires and gauge blocks to a thread. Works wonders.
Yeah, I use some fairly thick grease as well, but not really thick enough because the wires will drop if I take too long. I'll try thicker grease.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
@thestelster Rounding up a few Starrett things today in between other things . Looking for that little fine feed Albrecht chuck for @Susquatch while doing so . If you've ever seen pics of my place , you'll understand why I have to round up . Might get some pics tonight if the beers are cold down the basement . :)

mmcmdl

This is a few things in the bedroom . Anyone elses bed look like this ? :eek: I'll move these downstairs tonight and get some better pics with everything else . Just got off the phone with Dabbler for 40 minutes discussing what to bring to Calgary in July .

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 10

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have heard of sticking the wires into foam rubber or styrofoam to keep them in place and the swearing down.

I have some plastic holders that would be easy to use. They were a promo that came with something else I bought.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.

I still prefer a thread micrometer though.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I just received this gizmo. Starrett No. 995 Planer Gauge.

It's missing a couple parts which I can probably make: Scribe and knurled nut, and maybe more accessories. I'll have to do some research.

Attachments

• 20240311_174642.jpg
    20240311_174642.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240311_174734.jpg
    20240311_174734.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240311_174834.jpg
    20240311_174834.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 8

mmcmdl

Cool ! Got a little fine feed knob . An upgrade to the 246 model . Working on the pile down here still . Once I get the roll arounds tomorrow I'll have room to make pile down the basement of all Starrett stuff .

mmcmdl

Question for the Starrett surface/toolmakers gages . The Starretts were not marked until a date . What year did they start marking them , if they did ? I've probably sold 7-8 NIB gages over the years and none of these had Starrett engravings but rather had the information on the box .

mmcmdl

Great ! :eek: Stel , I found an old set of Starrett sockets on their antique website . I didn't know they were Starretts but they obviously are . I have one dowstairs , the rest are still down the other place .

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great ! :eek: Stel , I found an old set of Starrett sockets on their antique website . I didn't know they were Starretts but they obviously are . I have one dowstairs , the rest are still down the other place .
I didn't know they made socket wrenches!! Well, why not.