• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
With Covid border lock downs it can be difficult using a USA shipping address. As an alternative are some drop ship companys that you ship to a US address and they will deliver to your door.

Not aware of this. Tell us more.

Not aware of this. Tell us more.
In the GTA area one firm is called Crossborder Pickups (can't comment on service because I haven't used them) because I do my own pickups and imports (and no I don't don't do it for others because there is certain registrations, insurance, certifications required).

Suggest you google US address Canadian delivery to your own local area.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
We have the same thing here in Calgary area - they pick up from Sweet Grass. Forgot company name. They also clear customs. Its in a warehouse in Calgary later on. For many items that ship to Canada its not worth it. Both Sweet Grass depot and forwarder charge extra as well as custom service is not the cheapest so for me UPS shipments it works out the same or even more expensive then just delivery to your door.

Search around, the rates can very competitive if there is free shipping on the US side. Most times they require complete invoice from you and depending if you do your Tariff Code look ups they may charge less. Tariff codes can be found at https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/menu-eng.html down load the PDF file as you can search it. Secret is google the products Tariff code first 4-5 numbers are the important ones as it puts you in the right chapter now narrow down. Typically I can determine my codes in less than 2 minutes.

If I did it this way most of the time for smaller packages savings would be about 10-60%, because I consolidate and do my own, I typically save about 60-85% (which includes my time and expenses, mind you I have been doing this for years just to keep the costs down).

Added...Mind you custom fees and taxes are still a must, but at least you know they are right.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We have the same thing here in Calgary area - they pick up from Sweet Grass. Forgot company name. They also clear customs. Its in a warehouse in Calgary later on. For many items that ship to Canada its not worth it. Both Sweet Grass depot and forwarder charge extra as well as custom service is not the cheapest so for me UPS shipments it works out the same or even more expensive then just delivery to your door.
Maybe you are thinking of DYK? I use them for certain shipping situations. I agree, sometimes its a better way to go, sometimes not. You have to calculate the all in charges on both sides of the border. I made a spreadsheet that has their weight/fee tables & dinger fees all baked in. Where services like this are useful is when the USA seller just doesn't want to ship outside USA period.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Where services like this are useful is when the USA seller just doesn't want to ship outside USA period.

This is basically where I sit too. There is a growing number of companies who won't ship to Canada - period. For these times, you really have few alternatives if you really need/want the product. That's why I asked about this earlier.

After researching the outfit that @Degen referenced, I'm actually quite happy to pursue it further. I downloaded the brochure from "CrossBorderPickups" and I'm gunna give them a try. It may well be expensive, but given no other alternative, I'm prepared to pay to get those few things I really do need.

For those things where the seller will ship to Canada, I'm not sure there is really any benefit over USPS or UPS.

Currently USPS is not good at all. As to how bad, you may never get it, so don't go down that route. If you are going UPS as for World Wide Expedited, costs more but covers brokerage fees, customs and taxes no getting away with that. I ship about $2-3k in UPS a month.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Currently USPS is not good at all. As to how bad, you may never get it, so don't go down that route. If you are going UPS as for World Wide Expedited, costs more but covers brokerage fees, customs and taxes no getting away with that. I ship about $2-3k in UPS a month.

I don't do your volume, but have never had a problem with USPS other than shipping delays. WAY MORE problems with Canada Post and only the odd problem with UPS.

I guess that just goes to show that we should not trust anecdotal data. The statistics of your higher usage are much more useful and telling.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I don't do your volume, but have never had a problem with USPS other than shipping delays. WAY MORE problems with Canada Post and only the odd problem with UPS.

I guess that just goes to show that we should not trust anecdotal data. The statistics of your higher usage are much more useful and telling.

I also only had issues with Canada Post - they LOST packages! I know such thing does happen but it should not be "common". Good thing I had insurance on them. I always insure stuff sent via Canada Post - its free for 100 CAD.

Main issues with UPS were before I had my own broker. I use Border Bee. They are cheap and great. Highly recommended. Process is automatic with UPS.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've had a consistent bad experience with UPS. They ship to Calgary via Vancouver so I cannot use my broker here. Then the next shipment lands in Montreal - their brokerage fee on one shipment was more than 1/3 the retail value 380/1000. If a vendor only ships UPS I refuse to do business with them.

That was after 3 very good years, and then the 10 bad years began. I haven't used them for 7 years now.

USPS has never lost a single package for me, and I'm around 50 now.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I've had a consistent bad experience with UPS. They ship to Calgary via Vancouver so I cannot use my broker here. Then the next shipment lands in Montreal - their brokerage fee on one shipment was more than 1/3 the retail value 380/1000. If a vendor only ships UPS I refuse to do business with them.

That was after 3 very good years, and then the 10 bad years began. I haven't used them for 7 years now.

USPS has never lost a single package for me, and I'm around 50 now.

My broker is somewhere in Quebec. No issues. UPS is far better the Fedex or DHL as they are automatic. I.e. they have my broker on file, package arrives, I pay tiny fee to my broker. With DHL and Fedex there are all sort of issues as process is not automated, I have to tell them about the broker and they always play stupid. UPS - no issues - they know no one would pay their huge outrageous brokerage fees ever so they know everyone has their broker. Dabbler just sign up for Border Bee.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Boy, looks like I opened a can of worms........

It actually is a total can of worms - UPS can be terrible for some and great for others. When I moved from US to Canada long time ago my US friend sent me stuff UPS and put in their value. Since this was my own stuff it should be duty free... but UPS decided to do duty anyways... and their world famous brokerage... it was like $500. Lets just say I was not impressed. After some letters Canada returned the duty but UPS kept the brokerage fee... They can be "hard to deal with" - an understatement!

Canada Post about 100+ shipments a year, no issues. US Post at best with tracking 6 weeks plus at worst never arrives. Do not ship US Post. Ship Courier, pick your favourite.

Boy, looks like I opened a can of worms........
Big time apparently! I don't do huge volumes but over the years many shipments. When coming from the USA only USPS does not add brokerage/customs fees for me. All other couriers do, so USPS has been my favorite for things coming from USA. I never yet lost anything this way. UPS has delivered my packages to wrong address so I now avoid them with a passion. Canada Post has also lost some of my packages. I have had a package mailed from Eastern US go to and vanish in California. I have had a package mailed from nearby central Ontario go to Quebec first! In some cases it has been the fault of the sender with buggered shipping addresses. In other cases something went wrong with the courier.

Sorry no can of worms meant. Some explanation is needed. The USPS issue got bad since about early 2018. Defunding of Postal service, pension fund issues, reductions in staff. The final straw was when a new Post Master General with an external agenda was put in charge that put it over the edge.

When main transfer stations get full the mail trucks get re-routed and redirected to a different hub to be sorted and directed. Good in theory, but what is happening is some trucks get a continuous re-route so in effect the mail becomes stored in warehousing on wheels and until the mail gets sorted (scanned) it vanishes (some cases permanently), its out there on a truck somewhere.

The issue got so bad with my suppliers that shipments are no longer done by mail at their choice (their customers complaining), payments are no longer by mail (either direction) even with tracking numbers (this is how I know).

The only exception so far is stuff being shipped to US armed forces bases aboard, likely a hub that doesn't re-route.

Be forewarned, don't go through my painful learning experience.

In reading some of the threads for sources, here are some I try to use.

Big box stores, some and price.

Metal retail stores, better selection, can usually get you what you want at a cost.

Distributors, if they talk to you and you buy in wts that make it worth while for them likely yhe best pricing and selection.

Finally, a hidden gem, scrap buyers, I've been lucky and even gotten endmills, reamers and drill bits from them at pennies on the dollar. Material at scrap pricing plus profit which is way less than wholesale new. Make friends with them. This can be a one stop material source, if its bigger than you want buy and run.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
In reading some of the threads for sources, here are some I try to use.

Big box stores, some and price.

Metal retail stores, better selection, can usually get you what you want at a cost.

Distributors, if they talk to you and you buy in wts that make it worth while for them likely yhe best pricing and selection.

Finally, a hidden gem, scrap buyers, I've been lucky and even gotten endmills, reamers and drill bits from them at pennies on the dollar. Material at scrap pricing plus profit which is way less than wholesale new. Make friends with them. This can be a one stop material source, if its bigger than you want buy and run.
Insurance is killing this now, but wholeheartedly agree. You can get stuff for pennies on the dollar at the right locations