Some Mods To the Belt Drive On My Mill

I made a pulley that would fit into the top of the cone pulley on the motor to give me a slower speed
160 rpm the lowest with the factory setup was 270 rpm.

Assemble these parts.

You will have this.

Slide it into the cone pulley and tighten the nut.

A shorter belt was required.

There is a wide space in the speeds in the middle between 490 rpm to 950 rpm.
By running a belt directly from the motor to the spindle pulley I was able to get 660 rpm.

The cone pulley was bored and had a key-way all the way through.
It just slid in and the expanding shaft holds it tight.

DPittman

Ultra Member
I made a pulley that would fit into the top of the cone pulley on the motor to give me a slower speed
160 rpm the lowest with the factory setup was 270 rpm.

Assemble these parts.

You will have this.

Slide it into the cone pulley and tighten the nut.

A shorter belt was required.

There is a wide space in the speeds in the middle between 490 rpm to 950 rpm.
By running a belt directly from the motor to the spindle pulley I was able to get 660 rpm.
I'm curious...what operation did you need the slower speed for, tapping?

DPittman

Ultra Member
My similar milling machine only has .350" of room in the cone pulley so not much room for a shaft but I guess the key takes the majority of the forces anyhow and a bit of epoxy or loctite would suffice to hold the pulleys together 20210403_124401.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My similar milling machine only has .350" of room in the cone pulley so not much room for a shaft but I guess the key takes the majority of the forces anyhow and a bit of epoxy or loctite would suffice to hold the pulleys together
In that case I would suggest a shaft with key for alignment and torque load and securing the new pully to the adjacent pulley with machine screws.

VERY INTERESTING!! I have the exact same mill and have the same complaints with mine as well! I wish it had a few lower speeds and this looks like a great idea! Thanks for posting it.