• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SM1120 Finally found one!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I still haven't had a chance to look yet but for now I think I'm going to pass, a nice brass knurly knob is sounding good. Thanks very much for the offer, at least now you know where it is. ;)

Johnwa - the MIL spec manual seems to be the only manual I have that shows the retainer as well, if it creeps again I'll make the retainer for it. Did you built the preload adjuster tool on page 25? My spindle seems a bit stiff (not unreasonable) but that may be just from sitting for a few years. I'll get a few hours of run time before I start messing with things.

Super user you just know it's going to creep again, make the darn retainer. Ya just do it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Okay Mom,,,, lol. I feel like I should have my head down, hands in my pockets kicking a can down the lane. :D

What thickness material and screws did you use for yours?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Okay Mom,,,, lol. I feel like I should have my head down, hands in my pockets kicking a can down the lane. :D

What thickness material and screws did you use for yours?

Mother says sorry that's my former military bearing shining through. LOL

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Done! Can I go play now,,,,,,, oh,,,wait,,,, that is play! WaHOO,,,
When I took the top off the bearing had moved ever so slightly but that sucker's not moving anymore. I used a piece of 3/16 plate for the retainer and welded on a tab for the tach sensor.
Dusty - Thanks for the push, it did need doin.

Attachments

• Bearing_Retainer.JPG
    Bearing_Retainer.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 18

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I got tired of walking out into the shop in the morning or two days later and finding I'd left the VFD running so I put an "ON" light on it.
Now I know when it's still on, during the day it's clearly visible and at night it lights up the whole shop. I had to paint off the right side of the lens cause it was blinding me when running the machine. lol
1656868512914.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I got tired of walking out into the shop in the morning or two days later and finding I'd left the VFD running so I put an "ON" light on it.
Now I know when it's still on, during the day it's clearly visible and at night it lights up the whole shop. I had to paint off the right side of the lens cause it was blinding me when running the machine. lol
View attachment 24788
Funny, I never turn off my VFDs.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The way I'm wired is for the green button to turn on the contactor and that supplies power to the VFD. The contactor has a hum/buzz so I don't like leaving on all the time. It's good for surge protection as well since we get a fair number of power outages and bumps.