• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Site slow or unreachable at times

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Bill - I think you said you were using an old version of internet explorer? I’m in IT and we call that program internet exploder due to many problems that crop up with it. I would suggest trying another browser like chrome, Firefox, opera. They are al free so just download one - say chrome - and try it. https://www.google.com/chrome/

Hi John, dumped internet explorer about 2 month ago switching over to google chrome so yes a most positive change. My cable service (above ground fiber optics) is with Sasktel often suspect of lowering (Mbps) to providers. Whatever my PC problem is I'm not a very happy camper.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Strangely enough, I just experienced a couple of errors.

What happened: as normal, I visited the site and scanned the list of new posts. Opened page 1 of this thread (in a new tab) and read the new-to-me postings. When I tried advance to page 2, it 'hung' for about 2 minutes before reporting a "522" error, see pdf attached.

After a couple more minutes, I was able to access the site and open this thread (to post this reply). [See below; could not post initially.]

My system: yes, I use an old version of Safari (10.1.2 from circa 2017) on OS X (10.10.5). I have reasons that are holding me back from updating to new versions. There are a couple of sites that refuse to connect with my version of Safari (notably hobby-machinist.com). For those, I use Firefox...but I strongly prefer Safari. I figure since my bank, BMO, is OK with the security on this version of Safari, it can't be that bad.

Update: I spent about 20 minutes trying to post this message. Upon clicking the "Post Reply" button, the animation indicating that the site was working would appear for a few seconds. However, the page would not reload or otherwise show that my message had actually been posted.

Trying to access the thread in a new tab produced a "525" error a few times, see attached.

Craig

Attachments

• canadianhobbymetalworkers.com | 522: Connection timed out.pdf
    35.1 KB · Views: 2
  • canadianhobbymetalworkers.com | 525: SSL handshake failed.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 1

Crankit

Rarely have I found issues but I am having one now with this topic not responding, either in it accepting the like(ing) of Joshua's post or moving to the next page....won't do either. I'm getting an Error 525 as well

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
8:50PM Calgary, Shaw Cable, IE 11.

Site is very slow to respond, to the point of making or changing posts impossible.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Just saw this @Jwest7788 then it was ok after.
I'll be honest, I have no idea what the cloudflare 525 error means, it's not one I am familiar with.

Will dig in and get back to everyone after looking into it.

Edit: I found a knob I could twist in the settings, but the error doens't leave a lot to work with online.

Looking for a fresh report of this issue if anyone can verify for me?

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I did notice that the problems from 10 days ago or a week ago changed, but I'm still getting intermittent outages as of yesterday afternoon. Today it is running like a racecar. I got one 502 error yesterday, and pages that took up to 5 minutes to refresh. I'll reboot my computer to remove any browser or windows problems and keep an eye out for any new issues.

Brent H

Ultra Member
It was running slow a few minutes ago and I got this message:

can’t post the image - still running sporadic.

Attachments

• 09C48CC0-D2EC-4516-A397-D86624F01A8A.png
    09C48CC0-D2EC-4516-A397-D86624F01A8A.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 7

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Dang. I was hopeful that this wasn't an issue anymore.

I am going to turn off cloudflare for a bit, not sure if it will make the issue better or worse. Stay Tuned.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Definitely slow for me here.
Shaw 300Mbps service. Posting reply is a 10 second affair.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Just received a 522 error but then was able to open several threads in quick secession.

Craig

Attachments

• canadianhobbymetalworkers.com | 522: Connection timed out 2020Nov16.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 2

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Okie dokie,

Well, that was a bit of a trainwreck. Site was down for about half an hour there. But, I think I found a possible culprit to the site weirdness lately.

Keep the reports coming

Edit: Testing on my end looks good. Things seem real smooth. You guys seeing the same or no?

Definitely getting faster, just not sure if more reliable:
1605589209335.png

Last edited: