TorontoBuilder
Sapientia et Doctrina Stabilitas
I'm thinking of redesigning this as a round tube so I can have a clear acrylic body to see the mechanism in operation.... to aid in adjusting the force of the snap and de-caking operation.
My process exactly. In this case its $16.68 from Ali including (happens to be free) shipping or $14.87 next day delivery from Amazon prime, presuming comparable item. Sometimes it works out this way, usually Ali is cheaper.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005010328200969.html is always the first place to look to avoid Amazon upcharges. These things are made in china so why not go to the source.
Good tip. I should make it a habit to check there more often, even to get ideas. I dont see the Ridgid type tooth serrations at a glance but doesnt mean its not somewhere on the site, I would think would be quite popular.Makerworld has a lot of parametric hose adapters, e.g. https://makerworld.com/en/models/481868-parametric-vacuum-hose-connector#profileId-396315
including for specific brands

My point is to not give any money to a US company if avoidable. Plus the tariff money going to their government. AliExpress shipping is less than 2 weeks now.My process exactly. In this case its $16.68 from Ali including (happens to be free) shipping or $14.87 next day delivery from Amazon prime, presuming comparable item. Sometimes it works out this way, usually Ali is cheaper.
I expect that in order to get the rapid release the vacuum motor has to brake rapidly.... the spring has about ~15 pounds of force, depending on how much it will be compressed in operation.Sometimes you just have to play with such ideas to see how they work and how to improve them. The so called proof of concept and development process.
If (a very big if) there is a flaw in the idea, I suspect it is in the inertia of the vacuum system airflow and the blower fan. The combination of these two factors may not allow for the rapid release you envision. You may need some kind of mechanism that changes the release speed vs the apply speed like a shaper does, or a triggered system that traps vacuum and then releases it suddenly.
Of course, the only real way to find out is to build a testing prototype and test it!
Are you really allowed to have that much fun? My bride is sick and tired of me experimenting with stuff on "our" nickel. She would insist I just buy extra filters from Ali.
I didnt know auto filter cleaning was a thing. Apparently Bosch has a system. Not sure how I feel about an occassional Bang, my brain goes into autopilot, Bang = Bad 😱
![]()
Dust extractors for professionals | Bosch Professional
✓ High protection ✓ Easy to use ✓ 100% Compliant. Discover our latest dust extractors now:www.bosch-professional.com
What I thought would be a good idea is a timed vacuum like suck every 5 seconds like vacating chips in a pocket or on a scroll saw vs having the vac going full bore in the background. Thats probably required for lots of woodworking equipment, saws, sanders, routers... making constant dust/shavings. Pulsed blowing is easier because its just opening a valve to a compressor tank, but then you just have to deal wherever it blew the chips to, probably including your hands your eyes... So with a vacuum either you are turning the motor on & off which is not condusive to long life or you need some kind of vacuum chamber which is yet another clunky vessel. Probably why nothing exists outside of the dentist & medical equipment, Eeuuuw
Probably why nothing exists outside of the dentist & medical equipment, Eeuuuw