• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Product Shop vac filters

Product
I'm thinking of redesigning this as a round tube so I can have a clear acrylic body to see the mechanism in operation.... to aid in adjusting the force of the snap and de-caking operation.
 
I just bag mine out as well, then blast some air at the inside of it. I like the idea of the Amazon ones PeterT, would never go to HD for that stuff.
 
My process exactly. In this case its $16.68 from Ali including (happens to be free) shipping or $14.87 next day delivery from Amazon prime, presuming comparable item. Sometimes it works out this way, usually Ali is cheaper.
My point is to not give any money to a US company if avoidable. Plus the tariff money going to their government. AliExpress shipping is less than 2 weeks now.
 
Sometimes you just have to play with such ideas to see how they work and how to improve them. The so called proof of concept and development process.

If (a very big if) there is a flaw in the idea, I suspect it is in the inertia of the vacuum system airflow and the blower fan. The combination of these two factors may not allow for the rapid release you envision. You may need some kind of mechanism that changes the release speed vs the apply speed like a shaper does, or a triggered system that traps vacuum and then releases it suddenly.

Of course, the only real way to find out is to build a testing prototype and test it!

Are you really allowed to have that much fun? My bride is sick and tired of me experimenting with stuff on "our" nickel. She would insist I just buy extra filters from Ali.
 
Sometimes you just have to play with such ideas to see how they work and how to improve them. The so called proof of concept and development process.

If (a very big if) there is a flaw in the idea, I suspect it is in the inertia of the vacuum system airflow and the blower fan. The combination of these two factors may not allow for the rapid release you envision. You may need some kind of mechanism that changes the release speed vs the apply speed like a shaper does, or a triggered system that traps vacuum and then releases it suddenly.

Of course, the only real way to find out is to build a testing prototype and test it!

Are you really allowed to have that much fun? My bride is sick and tired of me experimenting with stuff on "our" nickel. She would insist I just buy extra filters from Ali.
I expect that in order to get the rapid release the vacuum motor has to brake rapidly.... the spring has about ~15 pounds of force, depending on how much it will be compressed in operation.

But no matter, my design has a minor tweak to make it manually operated just in case.

What I want to see is the static pressure and velocity drop from different filter media with the same area of filter material.

I'll sacrifice some filter efficiency to maintain higher flows if necessary.
 
I didnt know auto filter cleaning was a thing. Apparently Bosch has a system. Not sure how I feel about an occassional Bang, my brain goes into autopilot, Bang = Bad 😱


What I thought would be a good idea is a timed vacuum like suck every 5 seconds like vacating chips in a pocket or on a scroll saw vs having the vac going full bore in the background. Thats probably required for lots of woodworking equipment, saws, sanders, routers... making constant dust/shavings. Pulsed blowing is easier because its just opening a valve to a compressor tank, but then you just have to deal wherever it blew the chips to, probably including your hands your eyes... So with a vacuum either you are turning the motor on & off which is not condusive to long life or you need some kind of vacuum chamber which is yet another clunky vessel. Probably why nothing exists outside of the dentist & medical equipment, Eeuuuw
 
I didnt know auto filter cleaning was a thing. Apparently Bosch has a system. Not sure how I feel about an occassional Bang, my brain goes into autopilot, Bang = Bad 😱


What I thought would be a good idea is a timed vacuum like suck every 5 seconds like vacating chips in a pocket or on a scroll saw vs having the vac going full bore in the background. Thats probably required for lots of woodworking equipment, saws, sanders, routers... making constant dust/shavings. Pulsed blowing is easier because its just opening a valve to a compressor tank, but then you just have to deal wherever it blew the chips to, probably including your hands your eyes... So with a vacuum either you are turning the motor on & off which is not condusive to long life or you need some kind of vacuum chamber which is yet another clunky vessel. Probably why nothing exists outside of the dentist & medical equipment, Eeuuuw

I heard that festool had self cleaning but didn't know how they implemented it. I see Bosch now has it too... but the manner that they have looks like a recipe for high failure rates...

My use is always limited and it will only clean every time I turn off the vacuum when Im done.

Festool and bosch are designed for systems without cyclone ahead of the vacuum.... because they want to charge $1500 for a vacuum cleaner.
 
Probably why nothing exists outside of the dentist & medical equipment, Eeuuuw

I grew up without flourine so my teeth are horrible.

I don't care for freezing so normally I just let them drill away without freezing. Sometimes I even fall asleep in the chair. A root canal they did a few years ago that went south caused me to reconsider that practice. I've had a few involuntary tooth extractions that were not frozen over the years so extractions are ok - until they aren't. When it comes to colonoscopies, I prefer to not remember anything.
 
Back
Top