• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Shop layout, making use of every square inch.

Shop

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have been renovating for the better part of 2 years now. I want to show where it is now (sort of). Where it is going, and the needed shed to free up space (in the spring. Note that both CNC Mill and CNC lathe are conventional machines with conversions done by CNC Masters out of sunny California. If I do end up going to a robust ATC Machining Center, I will be selling the Supra milling machine. The 1440 lathe is now active again. I will follow up with photos as we go... in time.

Attachments

• FLOOR-PLAN.JPG
    FLOOR-PLAN.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 62
  • layout-1.JPG
    layout-1.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 62
  • layout-2.JPG
    layout-2.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 62

That-Guy

Premium Member
Might just be my weirdness, but anything to do with grinding I try to keep as far away from machines as possible. My tool grinder, bench grinders and angle grinders are all on the other side of the shop. Away from computers as well. I've seen a shop environment kill a few.... Just food for thought. I'm on the 4th iteration of my shop layout (I've only had it for a year now), so it's not as if I'm an expert. I, like yourself, am after efficiency.... and cramming as many machines into it as I possible can! I also ended up moving my table saw out of the shop, they just take up so much floor room.

Now, crazy thought (I did it hence I know the crazy of it), would you consider moving the air system to a shed? I put my compressor and dryer out in the shed and ran a remote switch (with a door interlock for safety, and then used IPEX 1.5" water supply line buried up to the shop. From there its business as usual.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Might just be my weirdness, but anything to do with grinding I try to keep as far away from machines as possible. My tool grinder, bench grinders and angle grinders are all on the other side of the shop. Away from computers as well. I've seen a shop environment kill a few.... Just food for thought. I'm on the 4th iteration of my shop layout (I've only had it for a year now), so it's not as if I'm an expert. I, like yourself, am after efficiency.... and cramming as many machines into it as I possible can! I also ended up moving my table saw out of the shop, they just take up so much floor room.

Now, crazy thought (I did it hence I know the crazy of it), would you consider moving the air system to a shed? I put my compressor and dryer out in the shed and ran a remote switch (with a door interlock for safety, and then used IPEX 1.5" water supply line buried up to the shop. From there its business as usual.
I am thinking of moving the grinder out to the lean-to addition. Air Compressor is a huge system, I am going to photo that room because it is basically done. The dust collector also needs to stay in. The main reason is heat. I do not want to heat the shed. Getting a powerline to it might present a problem too, but I have all winter to think it out. At this time, I think that shed is only going to be storage. Possibly a big rack all along the back wall and shelfs opposite the table saw. I will roll the table saw out to use it, keeping the dust outside. See latest iteration with Craftex lathe already heading down the driveway.

Attachments

• layout-3.JPG
    layout-3.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 17

That-Guy

Premium Member
I am thinking of moving the grinder out to the lean-to addition. Air Compressor is a huge system, I am going to photo that room because it is basically done. The dust collector also needs to stay in. The main reason is heat. I do not want to heat the shed. Getting a powerline to it might present a problem too, but I have all winter to think it out. At this time, I think that shed is only going to be storage. Possibly a big rack all along the back wall and shelfs opposite the table saw. I will roll the table saw out to use it, keeping the dust outside. See latest iteration with Craftex lathe already heading down the driveway.
I like what you've done with the place!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Here is the compressor room. It is complete except to begin using the chiller. For now, I just drain every day and also drain Franken-dryer. Notice that I also put a drain on the bottom of my storage tank. I release that too, and I have valves on all of my drops on the closed loop in the shop. I check every day when I shut down the valve on top of my holding tank. I release all the air in the closed loop and have never had water so far... Just with the Franken-dryer and storage tank.

Attachments

• DSCN1341.JPG
    DSCN1341.JPG
    433.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN1342.JPG
    DSCN1342.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1343.JPG
    DSCN1343.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am ready to move the machines starting tomorrow.

First step is easy. I need to lift the 1440 off the skates and leave it out from the wall. This is due to maintenance that is ongoing. New controller and fixing sheard pin on feed gear. I can run CNC without the gear being fixed but I still am stuck in manual knowledge. (Never graduated yet).

Second step is to move the Supra mill over about 4 feet to the right and 1 foot towards the wall. This presents some challenges, of which I am not sure best way. Last time I moved it, I used the eyebolt. The center of gravity is very bad on this machine. It required turning the head 180 degrees about the Z axis to get it to lift properly. Likely I will need to do this regardless of if I use the chains again or the bottle jack. If I use the bottle jack it needs to be done a bit at a time front to back, to front, 1 board at a time until I can get the skates under. Once on, we simply push it over, I have a chain imbedded over at the other spot also. (Advice on this would be appreciated).

Third step is easiest. I will be moving the CT043 from its current location to in front of the garage door, it will have its back to the door, so it will be usable after its electrical issue gets repaired. Once I fix the gears on the 1440 and have the dual CNC-manual lathe functioning, then maybe the Craftex can be rehomed. This last machine is the easiest and lest scary machine to move. Skates and imbedded chains but starting with the engine hoist.

Attachments

• 1440.JPG
    1440.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 29
  • supra.JPG
    supra.JPG
    395.5 KB · Views: 29
  • craftex-CT043.JPG
    craftex-CT043.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Six O Two

(Marco)
Second step is to move the Supra mill over about 4 feet to the right and 1 foot towards the wall. This presents some challenges, of which I am not sure best way.

have you done this yet? How did it go?

If not, I'd suggest going old-school Egyptian style with it. Just get a few lengths of 1" cold rolled steel. I was surprised how easy it was to roll my mill around the garage this way.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
have you done this yet? How did it go?

If not, I'd suggest going old-school Egyptian style with it. Just get a few lengths of 1" cold rolled steel. I was surprised how easy it was to roll my mill around the garage this way.
This part of the move is done. I moved the Mill by lifting with the single point. The skates were put under, and it was move to it new place. I then used the bottle jack to lower it (supported all 4 corners). I then removed 1 board on side 1. opposite side 2 boards were removed. I had to leave 1 board under each corner to get the bottle jack out.

My preference is by far, using the bottle jack. It is much safer. I will do picks later, just now time to take a break before the next round.........

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today I moved the Craftex out and it is between the Supra and 1440 I left in in the middle of the floor until it gets serviced. I am also attaching another layout picture. I may have a line on a 36 x 24 x 6 surface plate (pink granite) for free. I have the room but will need to get another table to support it. I am now maxed on space pending a shed to take all material and storage bins (fasteners, dowels, and metal). I will post phots soon as a finish moving my miscellaneous machines to their places.

Attachments

• LAYOUT-3.JPG
    LAYOUT-3.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 11

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today is a big day. I am installing a desk, touchscreen monitor, and articulating Arm for the Supra mill. I will be installing them starting today. In this updated layout, I decided that putting the surface plate and toolbox with measuring instruments in with the grinder was a bad idea. Drill press moving back into lean-to and reshuffling that corner. BUT my main objective is placing the computer and designing an adapter to be 3D printed for the articulating arm.

Attachments

• LAYOUT-4.JPG
    LAYOUT-4.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am putting a stock articulating arm on my Supra today. I am not exactly sure how high I want the display. This is an example from the manufacturer (they try to sell this and a 200 dollar arm as an add on). I am thinking to show progress today, I am just going to mount my 60 dollar arm as high as possible on the flat surface below the turrent. If I need to make an extension, I have 2 inch x 3/8 aluminum in stock.... No 3D printing.

Attachments

• Touch-Screen-CNC-1.jpg
    Touch-Screen-CNC-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 4

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Well, looks like I need to fabricate or 3D print a part. The clamp that's supposed to hold a monitor up to 27 inches would not tighten up to lock it from drooping. I kept on going until I heard a snap. The part is a cheap casting of some sort.. could be AL, but it is irrelevant now. I am looking at combining several parts into one and removing supposed adjustability on the segment that holds the monitor (21.5). I have no time or desire to pursue this with Amazon or the manufacturer. For 60 dollars, I got 90 percent of a good design. The part that broke is a bad design... until this Canadian re-designs it. See the snapped piece below.

In so far as swinging the monitor to see it at the desk, that would be very uncomfortable. (I am not an ostrich) I will utilize my 12 year old ACER 27 for the desk and run two monitors on duplicate mode.

Attachments

• DSCN1397.JPG
    DSCN1397.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 3

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today I set the CT043 lathe in it's near finished home position. The 1440 still needs more millwright work and so is still out from the wall by 2 feet. BOTH lathes are operational. Note that on the CT043, I took the chip plate out long ago since it is so much easier to put a box under for swarf than trying to dig the crap out with the tray there. I still have them and they are in brand new condition. Both lathes need some serious cleaning to remove the decolorization, but all ways are not damaged and in near new condition. I have not updated drawings to reflect the changes yet. I am SO behind on my 30 project's.

Attachments

• DSCN1585.JPG
    DSCN1585.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1586.JPG
    DSCN1586.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1587.JPG
    DSCN1587.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 16

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Updating 2D layout of shop and driveway, with shed. Looks like it will be a 12 x 10 shed with a conduit running from the garage to it. The shaded area will be getting dug up, removed and a proper driveway placed. Quoted with 5 inch deep limestone and 1 inch of dolomite on top. The will be tampering below shed area.... I am in negotiations with both the graveller and shed company now, before they get busy busy...

Note that existing driveway was really only a couple inches of gravel over dirt which has turned into a mud puddle.

1678251309348.png

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
The ever expanding project has expanded again. I have gone to a 13 x 10 foot shed with 8 foot walls. The guy that is doing the gravel is now quoting concrete floor and pad surrounding the building and going over to my garage, from the gate. This shed will have a 30 amp sub-panel from the garage. With the additional space, I should be able to run the wood tools and have lots of room for shelfs still. This project might be starting as soon as 2-3 weeks. Gravel for sure, shed pending quote. All buildings will have the same siding on and roof same color. Shed has 36 metal door and 4 windows as shown in the drawing.

Attachments

• shed-matt2.JPG
    shed-matt2.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 5
  • shed-matt.JPG
    shed-matt.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know both your lathes are working now, but sometime in the near future I need to stop by your place, bring you coffee and donuts, see everything you are doing, and ply you with a million questions....

Don't forget you are welcome here too. Just have to be careful where you walk...

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I know both your lathes are working now, but sometime in the near future I need to stop by your place, bring you coffee and donuts, see everything you are doing, and ply you with a million questions....

Don't forget you are welcome here too. Just have to be careful where you walk...
One day, I will go out there for a ride to get away from this house... I am going to wrap up the Griffith job this week, and then I have to do a PowerPoint for the Marina. That Marina job looks very promising for ongoing work. I went the other day to ask him his expectations for data. He was in the back trying to fix a skyjack, and not really in a good mood. Anyway, he started answering, so I went to the nearest flat surface to begin writing and he snapped a little.. "Don't !!!, that's a 1.5 million dollar boat". We then went to the office and he also gave me a tour of the future machine shop area. 4000 square above the office, capable of holding 30000 pounds. Like I say... great potential !!!!
That G course I am taking to get my certificate from 10 years ago is half done too. I am sitting at 82 percent.. with only two more things to be marked... so already 41 percent towards my end mark.

You are welcome to come here anytime.. Of course you already know my favorite coffee brand.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
More updates to the drawings today. I am showing the layout for driveway, shed with stuff in it, final shop1, 3D view of shop and shed and 60 x 20 sign.

Now time to go work work again in the shop on Griffith housings. (near done)

Attachments

• OVERALL.JPG
    OVERALL.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 9
  • SHED-2D.JPG
    SHED-2D.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SHOP-FINAL1.JPG
    SHOP-FINAL1.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 10
  • shed-matt3.JPG
    shed-matt3.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 10
  • drawing-01.JPG
    drawing-01.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 6
  • SIGN.JPG
    SIGN.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 6

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Looks good. I want to add a shed with lean to (move existing old shed, and replace with new 10-12x16 ish) in the side yard this year. I'd like a dedicated blacksmithing area under the lean to, and hopefully move my welding/fab stuff out in the shed so I can add more machine tools to the garage, and not be so worried about fire hazards and grinding dust in my attached garage shop. I don't mind the small dedicated to one thing spaces. Easier to keep clean and isolate the messes and I don't think it's far enough away that the commonly shared tools would be a big problem. Maybe in the winter......

One day I'd love to have a giant everything under one roof shop, but small spaces/shops is all I've ever known. I wouldn't know what to do with all the floor space of a big shop. I'd be like a crazy cat lady and fill it with projects and machines until you couldn't walk through it.