• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Shop layout, making use of every square inch.

Shop

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks good. I want to add a shed with lean to (move existing old shed, and replace with new 10-12x16 ish) in the side yard this year. I'd like a dedicated blacksmithing area under the lean to, and hopefully move my welding/fab stuff out in the shed so I can add more machine tools to the garage, and not be so worried about fire hazards and grinding dust in my attached garage shop. I don't mind the small dedicated to one thing spaces. Easier to keep clean and isolate the messes and I don't think it's far enough away that the commonly shared tools would be a big problem. Maybe in the winter......
Thanks for the idea. If you see the picture with the cement pad, I will make sure to put outside plugs in that area of the new structure and I may actually design it. We would need the posts in while concrete is being put in. This will provide a covered area to cut the wood outside, or store more stuff....

Great input !!

Attachments

• OVERALL.JPG
    OVERALL.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 1

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That outdoor covered slab is a great idea. I've wanted to pour one outside the front and back of my garage for a few years now, but have never had the time or free money to do it. I like doing fab stuff outside the backdoor of my garage as I can wheel my welder and plasma right over to the door and work that way, but having a covered slab would be even better. Keeps all the messy grinding dust and fire babies out of the shop. I'd put a compressor shed out there too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd be like a crazy cat lady and fill it with projects and machines until you couldn't walk through it.

Hmmmm...... You might be onto something there...... My barn is big - you can't walk though it. I might even be crazy. But I dunno about the cat lady image.......

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Looks good. I want to add a shed with lean to (move existing old shed, and replace with new 10-12x16 ish) in the side yard this year. I'd like a dedicated blacksmithing area under the lean to, and hopefully move my welding/fab stuff out in the shed so I can add more machine tools to the garage, and not be so worried about fire hazards and grinding dust in my attached garage shop. I don't mind the small dedicated to one thing spaces. Easier to keep clean and isolate the messes and I don't think it's far enough away that the commonly shared tools would be a big problem. Maybe in the winter......

One day I'd love to have a giant everything under one roof shop, but small spaces/shops is all I've ever known. I wouldn't know what to do with all the floor space of a big shop. I'd be like a crazy cat lady and fill it with projects and machines until you couldn't walk through it.
@Susquatch I am thinking of adding a lean to and more overhang. Does the lean-to count as square footage for the structure? I am attaching a revised drawing to show what I mean. The provincial and town bylaws state 161 square. Another potential issue is that the new structure would impede the fire department potentially.

One other question I have is on the pouring of concrete. The main pad is one level. I would think the shed should be 1.5 inches taller to not have water issues. Main pad will be sloped for drainage.

Attachments

• drawing-02.JPG
    drawing-02.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 11
  • shed-matt4.JPG
    shed-matt4.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 11

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think overhangs are excluded from the bylaw limit. Always good to be aware of fire access.

Let me ask my son. He is a volunteer fireman in Amherstburg and his close friend is the bylaw officer. He is at work today but he calls us every morning on his way to work. I'll ask him then.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Aburg Rapid Prototype - According to my son after he spoke with the bylaw officer, don't worry about fire access. Instead use common sense. It's your stuff that will get destroyed.

For the building, the max is 166 on the outside dimensions at the ground. The bilaw hasn't been updated yet but they are going by the 166.

You can have a bigger roof, but not if it is supported. Roof supports are considered to be part of the structure. So a caltilevered lean-to is ok. A porch roof on pillars is not.

However, you can build a separate roof that is not connected to the main roof or the structure if you build it as a separate structure under the 166 limit. The roofs can overlap.

There is currently no practical limit on how many sheds you can have.

For a shed, there are no foundation limits, but you need to be conscious of frost heave, rats, and drainage yourself. It's your shed and your contents.

Does that answer your questions?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
You can have a bigger roof, but not if it is supported. Roof supports are considered to be part of the structure. So a caltilevered lean-to is ok. A porch roof on pillars is not.

However, you can build a separate roof that is not connected to the main roof or the structure if you build it as a separate structure under the 166 limit. The roofs can overlap.

There is currently no practical limit on how many sheds you can have.

For a shed, there are no foundation limits, but you need to be conscious of frost heave, rats, and drainage yourself. It's your shed and your contents.

Does that answer your questions?
So adding an attached lean-to as I have drawn counts against the 166 sq.? A separate supported roof with 4 corner posts is considered another structure?

I am now thinking there will be a 2 foot deep rat wall as / the suggested construction techniques in the guidelines. This is considered a shed, but will be build like an auxiliary building. I am going to look at example plans and such soon. My concrete guy needs to make sure this is poured proper.. and probably needs rebar.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So adding an attached lean-to as I have drawn counts against the 166 sq.?

Yes, because you have posts to hold the roof up, the post location counts against your sq footage allowance.

A separate supported roof with 4 corner posts is considered another structure?

Yes. Along with its own 166 ft2 size limit.

I am now thinking there will be a 2 foot deep rat wall as / the suggested construction techniques in the guidelines. This is considered a shed, but will be build like an auxiliary building. I am going to look at example plans and such soon.

That's what I'd do too. The rat wall will gaurd against frost heave.

My concrete guy needs to make sure this is poured proper.. and probably needs rebar.

If your concrete is thick enough, I might not bother with the rebar. A 12.5 x 12.5 pad isn't likely to crack unless its really thin. But it won't hurt anything to do it.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Yes, because you have posts to hold the roof up, the post location counts against your sq footage allowance.

Yes. Along with its own 166 ft2 size limit.

That's what I'd do too. The rat wall will gaurd against frost heave.

If your concrete is thick enough, I might not bother with the rebar. A 12.5 x 12.5 pad isn't likely to crack unless its really thin. But it won't hurt anything to do it.
OK, a rollout awning if I deem this as needed down the road. but outlets on that wall for sure.

Thanks for your answers.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have been updating the design again and again. Now I am thinking the small lathe and less used tools will go there also. I will be storing the table-saw, but all woodcutting is going to happen outdoors so as not to dust my room. I also am showing the workstation with a turntable for scanning. This needs to stay dust free for sure.

On the driveway, the cement has expanded to have pad in front of the existing garage-shop and allow for easier re-configurations if the machines move AGAIN.. The dig is going to start within two weeks after I clean the accumulated mess on Monday and Tuesday....

Attachments

• shed-frame-and-skin.JPG
    shed-frame-and-skin.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SHED-2D.JPG
    SHED-2D.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 1
  • OVERALL.JPG
    OVERALL.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 1