• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Sawing Metal

Brian26

Premium Member
Another possibility is to use a cut-off saw with a Steel Demon blade. I have an old battery-operated Makita 7.25" saw that I use to cut just about anything - within its range of course. I have cut 2" square tubing for a 2" x 72" grinder I am building. Takes about 25 seconds to make one cut using this saw. It's pretty amazing. I had an old Grizzly bandsaw and that was taking over 3 minutes to make a similar cut.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Another possibility is to use a cut-off saw with a Steel Demon blade. I have an old battery-operated Makita 7.25" saw that I use to cut just about anything - within its range of course. I have cut 2" square tubing for a 2" x 72" grinder I am building. Takes about 25 seconds to make one cut using this saw. It's pretty amazing. I had an old Grizzly bandsaw and that was taking over 3 minutes to make a similar cut.

And the dry cut saw will do it in 5-10 seconds :) Having the right saw for the job makes a world of difference.

Oh, and I agree, bandsaws are generally slow.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Can't be slower than a hacksaw.......
lol I mean, depends on the hacksaw :D

HP-200.jpg

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Have any of you guys used a inverted jigsaw.
Rockwell makes a BladeRunner that looks interesting for small shops with a variety of cutting required.
Just looking for some first hand experiences.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Rockwell makes a BladeRunner that looks interesting for small shops with a variety of cutting required.

Nope.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Kinda like a scroll saw but without blade support on both sides?

LenVW

Premium Member
They say it can handle some metal cutting, but it seems to be a light weight hobby saw for wood. I am guessing Aluminum would be the only metal it would cut.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Never use an inverted one, but my Bosch top handle jigsaw has probably cut 10x more metal than wood in it's lifetime. Works really well for sheetmetal too, and sometime I prefer it to plasma.

LenVW

Premium Member
Are you talking about bar and plate . . . or just sheetmetal ?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Mostly sheet, but lots of angle and tubing too. It's chewed through some aluminum plate (1/4"-1/2") a time or two as well. Even some 1" tooling plate. I used to keep it in my box at work, but took it home as I always needed it more there. Nothing worse than needing a tool at home you have at work, or the other way around.

If I didn't have a horizontal bandsaw I'd still use it for 45* mitering of angle (ex 2x2x1/8"). Really quick, and imo way better than a portaband, or angle grinder. Super easy to follow layout lines, and get a nice fitting joint.

Variable speed is what makes it so versatile. And good blades are necessary.

For a good while it was my only metal cutting tool besides a recip saw, and angle grinder at home. I don't use it much anymore because I have better options, but I should bust it out more as it IS pretty handy to have around. Portaband tends to be the go to because it hangs on a hook next to the vise. Even if it isn't always the best tool for the job.

EDIT: one of the best reasons I liked it so much is that it was quiet. I hate air tools, and loud angle grinders etc. I'd rather take a bit longer, than listen to that racket. It's also pretty clean too. Chips just fall to the floor, and don't get flung around the shop all over the place. I used a wax stick lubricant on the blades too.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I never considered using my jigsaw on metal. What blades do you prefer?
I just buy home centre blades. they are cheap, expendable, and reach inside enclosed circles when I need them. For heavier cuts I use the reciprocating saws-all type saw with a metal blade - it works well enough when I have to cut stuff outdoors.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I was fortunate enough to get a pretty large quantity of Starrett bimetal blades in an auction lot many years ago for pennies on the dollar, but have used bosch blades as well. Maybe others? Slow speed will make your blades last exponentially longer, thats where the variable speed comes into play and is pretty essential. It's just another cutting tool where proper speeds and feeds are vital to it's survival.

LenVW

Premium Member
I like the JIG SAW for cut-off purposes.
- Little heat buildup
- No sparks
- Small blade cost (Use the HSS blades for metal)
As @DanDubeau says, variable speed control is a ‘must’ option.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Another vote for the Bosch jigsaw. I’ve cut up to ¼” steel bar with it. I’ve also used it for cutting propane cylinders as there’s no sparks.
It cuts thin aluminum almost as easy as it does wood. The Bosch blades are far superior to the regular Home Depot type blades.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’ve used my Bosch jigsaw on aluminium, I’m reluctant to try it on steel as it’s primarily a woodworking tool.

I’m suspecting I should try it before I commit to a portaband saw.