• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sawing Metal

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Jig saw will likely shake apart.
I did look at a MAXXT porta-blade with 24tpi.
I have a few contractor friends that may let me experiment.

Further testing is planned.

GregOston

My father really likes working in a metal workshop. He dreams of getting on a show where unusual swords are created. How hard do you think it is to get on such a TV show?

LenVW

Premium Member
My latest acquisition is going to save me a lot of sweat generated by the HACK saw.
Picked up this MAXXT porta-blade and Base from a HYPER-Tools rep on a stop in Oakville.
Powerful and quiet !!
Metal cutting made easy !!
It is going to be nice for re-purposing some weldments I have on-hand.

Attachments

• CA185FF4-FE07-4CB3-B396-6C996EA640FC.jpeg
    CA185FF4-FE07-4CB3-B396-6C996EA640FC.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 11
  • 366E926D-5DC1-462E-B3F8-2AC1690949B3.jpeg
    366E926D-5DC1-462E-B3F8-2AC1690949B3.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 11

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My latest acquisition is going to save me a lot of sweat generated by the HACK saw.
Picked up this MAXXT porta-blade and Base from a HYPER-Tools rep on a stop in Oakville.
Powerful and quiet !!
Metal cutting made easy !!
It is going to be nice for re-purposing some weldments I have on-hand.
Looks just like my King saw and stand.
I found I had to back off the pivot nut a bit to get smooth action on the stand.

LenVW

Premium Member
Initial tests with aluminum and angle iron have been been like a ‘hot-knife thru butter’.
I had a discussion with the rep from Hyper-Tools who are working on developing more . . .
DIY and Hobbyist grade tools that are very reasonably priced.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
This came up on my YouTube today.

The channel is mostly woodworking with a bit of RC and metalwork.

LenVW

Premium Member
This came up on my YouTube today.

The channel is mostly woodworking with a bit of RC and metalwork.
Good apparatus but don’t forget to put shaft wipers on those Linear Bearings because the balls will cease once some dirt and cuttings build up on the shafting.
If you want to avoid cleaning out the bearing blocks occasionally, replace the ball bearings with Simplicity Bushings or bronze bushings.
(I had to make a design change on a vacuum former with reciprocating carriages)
The Linear Ball Bearings are designed for years of constant use.
A set of bushings made of bronze would last you quite a while at a fraction of the price.