• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rust is the Enemy

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Imagine he drills 10ft away and water squirts out like a fountain!

What could have happened is combination of things, not just one, for example, drain was getting clogged more and more, it rained causing water saturation. Both together are now causing the issue. Or maybe even more things, such as some extra dirt etc.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
How much rain have you had recently @Chicken lights ? We had 2.5 inches on Monday. The outside water was up 2/3 of our basement windows. It was like looking outside into an aquarium. Fortunately I noticed how much rain was coming down and saw the windowz early enough to be able to use a shop vac to keep up with what came through the window seals.

If your ground is as saturated as ours is right now, the water has no place to go. I'd bet the gravel under your shop floor is filled with water.
We’ve had a few good rains, leading to me thinking soggy water table

I would’ve thought a week or two would’ve corrected things, however

There was some light water spillage 20 feet away, by a crack in the concrete, that was dry by morning

Just one of those things that makes you ponder about during the day

Chicken lights

Imagine he drills 10ft away and water squirts out like a fountain!

What could have happened is combination of things, not just one, for example, drain was getting clogged more and more, it rained causing water saturation. Both together are now causing the issue. Or maybe even more things, such as some extra dirt etc.
I was curious if gravel could get “clogged” with fine sediment, and am not discounting that

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was curious if gravel could get “clogged” with fine sediment, and am not discounting that

I have seen clogged gravel but it's rare and it requires a LOT of very slow water flow over a long period of time. Usually it is only localized.

But you have water coming out of your drain. It had to come from someplace to flow like that. So unless you have a steady water flow INTO the drain that is getting blocked off, your gravel is not plugged.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, @Chicken lights,

Feel free to call me - even tonight. I know what water problems like that are like. It strikes me that a phone call might be better than posts on a forum thread. I'll help if I can.

PM me if you misplaced my phone number.

If you are having back flow this is hydraulic pressure, which means you water table has been raised. This can be local ie high rain fall or global gradual table rise. High rain fall is like a 1:100 year events so no worries, gradual increase means you have other issues that need investigation.

My field of study oh so many years ago.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good luck with the water issues. We have the opposite problem, cracks in the soil that you can lose tools in if you drop them while fixing in the field. :(

I have a similar problem. Huge giant cracks from the dry spell. Then I got all that rain. I slogged out to look at what was happening. You could see vortices all over the place where the rain water was pouring down the cracks. I think most of the water went down the cracks to the tile to the ditches. The cracks are still there and the mud is gone so you can already walk out there. But you need bring climbing gear just in case you fall into a cravass...... I can only hope some water stayed......

Chicken lights

I have seen clogged gravel but it's rare and it requires a LOT of very slow water flow over a long period of time. Usually it is only localized.

But you have water coming out of your drain. It had to come from someplace to flow like that. So unless you have a steady water flow INTO the drain that is getting blocked off, your gravel is not plugged.
The dehumidifier fed the drain/filled the drain/then water just dumped on the floor
Hey, @Chicken lights,

Feel free to call me - even tonight. I know what water problems like that are like. It strikes me that a phone call might be better than posts on a forum thread. I'll help if I can.

PM me if you misplaced my phone number.
It’s too late- some of us still work for a living :p
*ducks for cover*

But thank you! I’ll mess with it this weekend, the water in the drain was mostly gone earlier today

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The dehumidifier fed the drain/filled the drain/then water just dumped on the floor

I see. The Dehumidifier water should not have any fines in it and should not plug anything. But it might be disolving the stone a bit which could result in calcification.

My barn Dehumidifier has been going full tilt most of the summer. It usually fills a 5 gal pail once a day. That's a lot of water to dump into the gravel under a concrete floor.

I dump mine manually. If I couldn't do that I'd run a hose or pipe outdoors.

It’s too late- some of us still work for a living :p
*ducks for cover*

But thank you! I’ll mess with it this weekend, the water in the drain was mostly gone earlier today

Ya, I'd be ducking if I were you too!

But feel free to call. You have my number.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'll add my two cents here. My shop is in the carport, closed in and insulated with some vapor barrier. Some of the walls are concrete as is the floor. These are not insulated; yet. As it was a car port the perimeter drain tile (hollow concrete pipe sections) were not around the carport. The house was built in 1967.

We bought it in 1997 and a few years ago started seeing water coming up through the basement floor drain. Because we're on a hill the underground water level would come up against the basement wall and not flow through the now plugged up perimeter drain which BTW, was connected to the floor drain in the basement by that same wall. Water ran like a river through the shop diagonally from mid January to the end of February. The odd thing is with just a 1500W fan heater on the floor near the lathe and mill I had no rust problems.

Long story short, we had new plastic perimeter drain done, ($20K) which included now the outside of the car port. The next winter instead of water the shop was dry. The water level in the floor drain remained below the concrete level instead of 6" above. (I had a plastic pipe inserted and calked).

And that winter although I ran the same fan heater everything started rusting. Steel that had been rust free for 20 years now was in awful shape. The Gecko Stepper Driver that had been functional for more than 10 years developed fuzz on the power connections, shorted and destroyed itself. However it was now inside the CNC electrical cabinet rather than hanging on the wall so more likely to attract condensation.

I bought a PA refurbished dehumidifier and also ran the fan heater and was able to stop the rusting the next winter. This year I plan on insulating the concrete walls in the shop and I'm considering different options for sealing the floor to prevent moisture from coming in that way.

And I have a small Raspberry PiZeroW connected to a DHT-22 RH/Temperature sensor broadcasting a web page.

The trick has been to keep the metal about 5 degrees warmer than the dew point. Don't care what the RH is since it's derived from the dew point and the temperature (hence 'relative')
ShopReadings.jpg

And in the last few days I've been running the metal bandsaw with coolant which has often splashed onto the floor so the dehumidifier is fill the bucket more often but nothing is rusting.

IMHO, the key thing is to keep the items that can rust at a temperature above the dew point to prevent condensation from forming on them.

Attachments

• RH_Temp_Sensor.jpg
    RH_Temp_Sensor.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1
  • ShopLeak2.jpg
    ShopLeak2.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 1
  • ShopLeak1.jpg
    ShopLeak1.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 1
One of the things I learned was use a cloth drop sheet over metal machinery. When the temperature changes so that metal becomes a moisture attractant....the cloth acts like a moisture soak greatly reducing the condensation on the metal.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
One of the things I learned was use a cloth drop sheet over metal machinery. When the temperature changes so that metal becomes a moisture attractant....the cloth acts like a moisture soak greatly reducing the condensation on the metal.
My SouthBend Heavy 10L arrived before I closed in the carport. My solution was to use the same technique I used in our sailboat. A 2' foot long section of 4" aluminum duct sitting on three legs about 3" above the plywood base. On the plywood under this pipe was a 60W light bulb socket so the bulb was inside the pipe. I positioned this under the lathe and then draped a blanket and then tarp over the lathe.

The bulb warmed the air in the pipe and the air rose up drawing in new air from underneath. The lathe never rusted. Effectively this heater kept the metal warmer than the dew point.