• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Robot Arm

Hey John,
Can you build your robot to do the soldering on your 12 Circuit Boards ?
(There is that mass production CREEPING UP again !!)

Hey John,
Can you build your robot to do the soldering on your 12 Circuit Boards ?
(There is that mass production CREEPING UP again !!)
It's possible the AR4 with the enhanced drive might be able to do that. Many years ago for my JGRO CNC router I bought a solder paste dispenser. The idea was to place the circuit board into position and have the G-Code push some paste onto each pad. Then, one could either use tweezers or add the whole pick and place mechanism along with camera to correctly orient the parts. Lot's of kits or plans out there for that sort of thing.

However, twelve boards aren't a lot of boards for all the work. And the solder paste flux has a pretty crappy life so one has to be prepared to do lots again. But I think if the robot arm can position close enough to put the say 0603 parts in place and also line up the pins on a QFP device so the hot air oven just lets them slide into place. It's the surface tension that does that. Really cool to watch.

While setting up to cut the longest part of the robot arm I discovered two things. One is my mill is short about 1" X axis motion to be able to do the darn thing in one go. I'm going to have to set up registration pins and flip it over to profile the outer perimeter.

1724736074804.webp

I do have a CNC question though. My Machinist toolbox (catering to HAAS type CNC I think) says that if I run 2500 RPM with a 6mm 2 flute cutter that 27 IPM is well below max speed especially with a 1.27mm depth of cut (0.050").
I plan on using mist coolant. Is this still to fast or too slow or not deep enough per pass?

And I found this interesting online G-Code viewer.

While setting up to cut the longest part of the robot arm I discovered two things. One is my mill is short about 1" X axis motion to be able to do the darn thing in one go. I'm going to have to set up registration pins and flip it over to profile the outer perimeter.

View attachment 51064

I do have a CNC question though. My Machinist toolbox (catering to HAAS type CNC I think) says that if I run 2500 RPM with a 6mm 2 flute cutter that 27 IPM is well below max speed especially with a 1.27mm depth of cut (0.050").
I plan on using mist coolant. Is this still to fast or too slow or not deep enough per pass?

View attachment 51064

Shifting pieces on my mill and registering position is a common operation on my small mill.
I used an Electronic Edge Finder or Dial Indicate Bores to pickup positions.
Just make sure your WAYS are TRUE.

Well’ on the bright side it is still good in 3 directions.
Actually I can relate Iv’e shattered the ceramic/ruby one before they are not cheap.

Back