• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Rifle Action Truing

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back to muzzle devices- can you trust factory threads on a barrel to have concentric ID to OD parameters? or as @Susquatch pointed out would the factory care about such tolerances?
Trust is a dangerous game! I'm sure the concentricity is within some tolerance...but what that is, who can say until you actually measure. And the manufacturer's muzzle brake will be designed around those tolerances. Looser the tolerance at the threads, means larger the brake bore...(for safety and liability issues).

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is one of the first targets from the new barrel and all the work that went into the action. 3 shot group, 280 Ackley Improved, Nosler 140gr. Ballistic Tip factory ammo. Original wood stock, no bedding. Looks less than 1/2" group. Barrel is still not broken in yet, and I'm sure with a good pillar bedding job and good reloads, it will get much tighter.

Attachments

• 680055156.jpg
    680055156.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Back to muzzle devices- can you trust factory threads on a barrel to have concentric ID to OD parameters? or as @Susquatch pointed out would the factory care about such tolerances?

The factory will do ok within their tolerances. For liability and cost reasons, those tolerances will be quite wide. If they always did a perfect job, there would be no need for custom work. Similarly, not everyone wants, needs, or can afford custom work - assuming they can even shoot well enough to see the difference. So there is a demand for factory hardware.

It's all a bit of a crap shoot though. Sometimes factories build a tack driver. More often they don't. The better factories have better averages.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Trust is a dangerous game! I'm sure the concentricity is within some tolerance...but what that is, who can say until you actually measure. And the manufacturer's muzzle brake will be designed around those tolerances. Looser the tolerance at the threads, means larger the brake bore...(for safety and liability issues).
True, and mixing one barrel manufacturer with another brake manufacturer is going to make it even more of a guessing game, for tolerances.

Can someone with your skills “fix” barrel threads to be more concentric? I’m guessing no, unless starting with a brake that was undersized.

Chicken lights

The factory will do ok within their tolerances. For liability and cost reasons, those tolerances will be quite wide. If they always did a perfect job, there would be no need for custom work. Similarly, not everyone wants, needs, or can afford custom work - assuming they can even shoot well enough to see the difference. So there is a demand for factory hardware.

It's all a bit of a crap shoot though. Sometimes factories build a tack driver. More often they don't. The better factories have better averages.
True. I fall into the no need for custom work category, however it’s an interesting rabbit hole to chase. It’s probably a leftover from playing mechanic, you need to know what the thing is supposed to do, in order to diagnose it before fixing it

Chicken lights

5C265AF1-DE1F-48D5-A086-525506FBBC26.jpeg That’s a fantastic book. It started with bows and arrows, then some history on firearm development, moved onto barrels, then actions and triggers.... I think I’m 105+ pages deep and it hasn’t mentioned any actual shooting tips. Educational and factual, yet fairly easy to read