• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

RF45 too good to be true!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So here is an idea the scammer did not think of - actually send a mill to someone! Then he would get like 100 orders the next day! I.e. pyramid scheme.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Guys, a USED RF45 just sold on auction for 7800 CAD. Used.

So a price of " $4732 + $1500 shipping" is actually CHEAPER than someone paid for a used machine...

Heck at these prices one could buy in China, sell on auction and turn a profit!

For Made in China bench mill? $500 seems reasonable, 7800 seems like an insane scam. You can be into a quality full sized mill for half that.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I do sometimes thing some auctions are a way to "clean" money - i.e. Dude X buys through auction Dude Y items for insane price. Now Y has clean money as they gotten it from auction house.

However, given that this is estate sale and items fit estate profile as well as there is not millions to "clear" I don't find this likely.

I think someone went well over the top paying 7800 for that mill - new one costs https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-10-x-32-2-hp-hd-mill-drill-with-stand-and-power-feed/g0755 - with 5% off its 4150 USD plus some costs to get it to your home in Calgary - but I guess same for the auction - that is around 5650 CAD for new machine...

I once asked someone at an auction why they paid more than new for a machine... guy said it was not me, it was my boss and he does not know prices much. Could be the case here.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, I do sometimes thing some auctions are a way to "clean" money - i.e. Dude X buys through auction Dude Y items for insane price. Now Y has clean money as they gotten it from auction house.

Money laundering is big business in Canada. A lot bigger than most are aware of. So is getting rid of stolen goods.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
yeah but is money laundering going to be interested this sort of thing? Maybe, but how many mills are you going to auction off? I would guess it would chump change compared the volumes of money that make laundering a challenge.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
yeah but is money laundering going to be interested this sort of thing? Maybe, but how many mills are you going to auction off? I would guess it would chump change compared the volumes of money that make laundering a challenge.

I listened to a talk given by the RCMP a while back. It was terrifying to learn the scale of such operations as well as the extent to which uninformed individuals help them without any idea of what is really happening. Part of the problem is the proliferation of low level transactions that all add up.

I'm not suggesting that's what this is. Just that something smells fishy.

Jswain

Joe
Weird AliExpress I've kinda found to be broken some times when your looking for stuff it's easier to find threw google then off there website.
That's smart, I find the AliExpress search terrible lol try 5-6 times searching for something and give up then when you're looking for something else what you wanted previously is all you can find.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sometimes I search for something on Ali & it resets my language to Portugese or Russian or something bizarre. Changing currency or language doesn't hep. The only remedy I found was delete history for a week or so & clear the cache, then back in business.

MrWhoopee

Sometimes I search for something on Ali & it resets my language to Portugese or Russian or something bizarre. Changing currency or language doesn't hep. The only remedy I found was delete history for a week or so & clear the cache, then back in business.
Would you happen to be using a VPN?