• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Refurb my Atlas

Chawbeef

I want to disassemble the apron on my 10 x 24 Atlas. What should I watch out for?? I have already removed the cross slide. Thanks for any tips....................................Chawbeef

Attachments

• 146_4774.JPG
    146_4774.JPG
    604.2 KB · Views: 12
When you pull the bolts holding the apron to the saddle make sure you support the apron so it's no hanging on the lead screw.
The picture doesn't show up when selected, I get an "image not found" message.

Take lots of pictures every time you remove something that way if something comes up and time goes by before reassembly you know where every little part goes.
Do this 100%, also baggie and label any and all hardware. I like to print off the manuals and drawings for equipment if possible. Then high light the sections I worked on. I have project stallitis, as in I start a project get on to something else and return to prior project later. Fasteners can get lost, assemblies left apart and forget how they go back together. Now I have little folders and baggies to prevent or help mitigate not completing a project.

Fasteners can get lost, assemblies left apart and forget how they go back together. Now I have little folders and baggies to prevent or help mitigate not completing a project.

I don't have to go onto another project to lose track. It happens in the same day! My memory sucks! So I like to take lots of pictures to avoid redesigns and left-over parts.

I typically use yogurt cups to hold small parts, but I like your baggie idea better. That said, I can already hear the wife....."why do you have a box of baggies in the shop? They belong in my kitchen!" And my reply..... "I had no idea I was allowed to fix my stuff in your kitchen Honey!" ..... Followed by the sound of flying cuttlery, heavy pots, and the yelps of Hairy Critters......

Back