• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Really ?

Quick connect fuel line connector was leaking on the return side of the engine. Before the car was purchased there was a previous fix with a repair kit that comes with the fuel connector, 18" of fuel line, clamps, and a union for the nylon fuel line. All I had to do was order the exact same replacement part. Checked online first, then checked some local parts dealers. Found the part in stock at a local parts dealer. The part was from a Canadian supplier who specializes in fuel system related parts. Get it home, remove the old repair part, and right away something seemed off. Without opening the package I could tell it was the wrong size. Supposed to be 3/8" x 10mm, that's what the packaging stated. Holding it up to the old part there was no question the new part inside the packaging was smaller. Took measurements with the digital caliper just to prove my eyes weren't playing tricks. The new part was 5/16", not the 3/8" as stated on the packaging.

Took the new part back to the parts dealer. Explained that the part inside the packaging is smaller than what is stated. Got a refund. Asked if they had a replacement. They did not. The kid behind the desk asked if I wanted to order the same part, 2-3 days, from Calgary. I said only if you can guarantee that the next one isn't going to be incorrect, too. He could not guarantee that. I said then I will order a different brand. He said it will be more expensive. I said but if it's the correct part then that will be worth the extra $$$. What are the odds that 2 different manufacturers have improperly packaged the same part? We shall soon see.

And that's how a quick afternoon job became wait another 2-3 days job. Plus, if the part comes Thursday instead of Wednesday there is a chance I will be working outside with "snow showers". So depending on how bad the weather is that might extend it to Friday. At a time like this Ray LeFleur would likely say, "Way she goes, boys."🙂
 
Also on my list of things I know nothing about. Sometimes I think you guys like playing silly buggers and I can never tell
The other one that pisses me off is redundant clicking. You're in an app and box pops up with "continue ?". Don't frigging ask me that unless you offer another option.
Do nerds get paid by the click or something ?
Really ?
 
The other one that pisses me off is redundant clicking. You're in an app and box pops up with "continue ?". Don't frigging ask me that unless you offer another option.
Do nerds get paid by the click or something ?
Really ?
Oh yeh, then there's the danged spell checker on this new phone. It's constantly changing words that I then have to go and change back again.
Really ?
 
Scan the QR code. Um isn't my scanny bit on the other side of my phone ?
Really ?View attachment 82229
I do alot of courses online on my phone and there is always a QR code that pops up at the end I have to scan to gain credit for the course. I believe there is actually a way for your phone to scan the code on screen but I found it was just easier to take a screen shot and scan it with another device or take a picture of the code with someone else's phone.
 
but I found it was just easier to take a screen shot

This! Once you have a screen shot, or a photo, it can be scanned directly. You don't need the scanny bit anymore.

Scanning QR codes these days is like clicking on spam email links. Don't do it.

As always, pay attention to who sent it to you and use good common sense about what the link says.
 
The other one that pisses me off is redundant clicking. You're in an app and box pops up with "continue ?". Don't frigging ask me that unless you offer another option.
Do nerds get paid by the click or something ?
Really ?

The current Lee Valley Tools web-site really P!5535 me off with this!
They seem to hold and wait, until I types search terms and hit enter then totally ignore what I entered to pop-up a "Let's do something!" box!
F* that I was trying to do something!!!!

Brian
 
Pulled a 5/16 nut and bolt out of the bin this afternoon, grabbed a 1/2" wrench and socket and went out to the barn. Put the bolt in, put a wrench on the nut but the socket was to big for the bolt head?????? WTF.
The bolt head was 12mm!! frickenfrackinfrackinfricken mumble mumble mumble.
 
Pulled a 5/16 nut and bolt out of the bin this afternoon, grabbed a 1/2" wrench and socket and went out to the barn. Put the bolt in, put a wrench on the nut but the socket was to big for the bolt head?????? WTF.
The bolt head was 12mm!! frickenfrackinfrackinfricken mumble mumble mumble.
8mm and 5/16 coarse are almost identical, and mixing them up is really easy
 
Pulled a 5/16 nut and bolt out of the bin this afternoon, grabbed a 1/2" wrench and socket and went out to the barn. Put the bolt in, put a wrench on the nut but the socket was to big for the bolt head?????? WTF.
The bolt head was 12mm!! frickenfrackinfrackinfricken mumble mumble mumble.
Makes me wonder, does anybody make wrenches with metric on one end and the SAE equivalent (or close) on the other?
Asking for a friend.
 
Back
Top