real old lathe is gonna follow me home

other than the top drive that is an exact smaller mirror version of what I have....is that a pumpjack engine that drives the belt??
The previous owner claimed "fill those oil journals with oil every 2 or 3 hrs and she'll run cool as a cucumber".
I believe that it's a 3hp three phase motor driving a 4 speed Drive-all gear box sitting atop that one.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Bling Man????

I know, typo. You meant Blind Man.

But it's funny as hell to think maybe that big iron you just acquired is exactly the kind of stuff we machinists might consider to be Real Bling!
couldn't agree more....Last night i came in dead tired but smiling all the way to the big chair...I am just sitting here now thinking "I couldnt be happier uncrating a brand new, all the whistle's, new machine than I am with this ol' girl.

couldn't agree more....Last night i came in dead tired but smiling all the way to the big chair...I am just sitting here now thinking "I couldnt be happier uncrating a brand new, all the whistle's, new machine than I am with this ol' girl.
As a lover of old iron, I think I know just how you feel...... If that was being moved into my shop I don't think you could slap me hard enough to wipe the smile off my face.......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If that was being moved into my shop I don't think you could slap me hard enough to wipe the smile off my face.......

Now that there would be fun to try! You could be the slap gauge and we would all line up to see who could get the most smile off you! I'll go last..... :oops: Too funny! ;)

I am just sitting here now thinking "I couldnt be happier uncrating a brand new, all the whistle's, new machine than I am with this ol' girl.

My old girl didn't have a bore big enough to handle a decent barrel so I had to do everything between centers or on a steady. When I saw the bore size on that girl I smiled too. An experienced old girl big enough to handle a big tube! NICE!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
slap me hard enough to wipe the smile off my face.......
Well, I didnt get slapped but a damn back injury yesterday took some of the smile off:(:(

The shop move was going very well, once i got er' slung between two engine hoist's and a quad pulling a bit to keep it lined up with where I wanted it and the Kubota pushing, that part went good ( sure was nice to have no shortage of old load binding chains around left over from the trucking days).
The back injury came about when trying to re-sling that top drive for re-installation....man that thing has more flexible folding joints than any pole dancer I've ever seen;). It tried to roll out of the chain set-up I was wanting to use and I tried to stop it....wasnt a good idea so we will have to give that project a rest for couple of days.

Frcsc6el8

Regarding the headstock taper, it could also be a 4 1/2 Morse taper. If it is you may have a tough time finding one.
If you are interested, I have a whole lot of Hendey collets and an adapter to fit a Hendey headstock. As I recall, the adapter is about 2/3 the length of a MT4/5 taper. If you are interested I can dig them out of storage. John

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Regarding the headstock taper, it could also be a 4 1/2 Morse taper. If it is you may have a tough time finding one.
If you are interested, I have a whole lot of Hendey collets and an adapter to fit a Hendey headstock. As I recall, the adapter is about 2/3 the length of a MT4/5 taper. If you are interested I can dig them out of storage. John
how much would you be wanting for them?

historicalarms

Ultra Member
$100 for the adapter and all the collets(about 20 ranging up to 1”)
I think théy are size 3H. I also made a draw tube to go through the headstock to tighten the collet. You would be welcome to it as well. Located in Vancouver
I will take those pls. I can get the boss involved to do an e transfer or I can do snail mail cash if you prefer. Let me know when you find out the shipping charges to Alix Ab. pls.

I will PM you my contact #.
thanks man.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I think that is what mine is but I will re-measure mine with calipers today. I had a little chuckle when I found a PDF of the operators manual of the Tie-bar lathes, they referred to spindle bore as " a little over 1 and 1/2 inches" ...no reference to an actual # which I thought strange because the rest of the manual is very precise in content. That manual also offered up that Henley offered 4 different set of collets with their lathes, all for the same spindle just different numbers of collets in the sets so I'm hope-full yours will fit.
A bit of an update; I managed to get the top drive bolted back up to the bed, it hasnt been tightened down yet tho, I need to plumb-bob the cone pullies for line up so the leather belt runs true and doesnt chafe itself on an edge.
So far I have narrowed down manufacture date to between 1907 and 1911 from other ser #'s researched on Practical Machinist (thanks again 140 for that link).

historicalarms

Ultra Member
More fun than practical (for me)
absolutely for me also, as I said before "I need this thing like a hole in the head" and came within a hairs breath of turning it down but leaving to be hauled to a metal recycler wasnt gonna happen. Now, even after all the work to move it, I'm very happy to have it saved for a while.
Might even get the power cord hooked this week yet.