real old lathe is gonna follow me home

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
a few bargain basement 4" mini lathe chucks as you describe but all 5" are more than 150 and 6" are 200 oor more.

Ya, the bigger ones are more.

Hopefully someone on here has one. FWIW, the vast majority of your 3-jaw jobs will be small stuff. A 4" chuck might just be all you really need!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
ya gota just love the members in this forum, 140mower came up with a perfect solution for the old girl, a 5".
If this Lathe were to be my "primary hobby, do it all machine" I would have sprung for a new chuck but at the most this thing will be a novelty machine for the odd specific job ( tapering Daves Cannon for instance comes to mind) or "slow speed threading so a "make shift workaround" is appropriate.

many thanks Don!!!

G'day Doug...... your chuck is in the mail. :cool:..... and just for clarity, it's a lathe chuck and not Chucky the mass murdering doll from the movies.....:rolleyes:

For those who may not know, Doug went well out of his way a couple winters ago and picked up a large shaper vice for me. Broke it down into manageable pieces and packaged them up in separate boxes, and much to the horror of his local post mistress mailed them to me. I definitely got the good end of the deal on this one. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For those who may not know, Doug went well out of his way a couple winters ago and picked up a large shaper vice for me.

I knew there was something special about Doug..... But I gotta add that it's been my experience that the entire membership is an amazing bunch of awesome talented skilled knowledgeable people. Some of them could even make a good living as a comedian too!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
G'day Doug...... your chuck is in the mail. :cool:..... and just for clarity, it's a lathe chuck and not Chucky the mass murdering doll from the movies.....:rolleyes:

For those who may not know, Doug went well out of his way a couple winters ago and picked up a large shaper vice for me. Broke it down into manageable pieces and packaged them up in separate boxes, and much to the horror of his local post mistress mailed them to me. I definitely got the good end of the deal on this one. :)

Thanks Don, but I feel like Im the "start the car start the car" bandit on this deal tho

historicalarms

Ultra Member
The chuck arrived friday and yesterday I had some time to mount the thing in the 4 jaw on the lathe. I was going to make a purpose-built backing plate but after looking at it, i decided to try gripping the chuck body directly in the jaws.
It seemed to mount square with the lathe axis center because ,so far, I have "O-O" runout on a piece of ground shaft I have gripped in it.
Very close to "making chips with the old girl" but honey-do list before freeze up in the yard keeps interfering.