• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Radial engine build

DaveMc

Hi Don

Now that I see who you are, I cannot thank you enough for your comments on my artwork. Very high praise indeed from someone with your skills

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't been posting much, but I have been progressing at my usual glacial speed. I found these glow plug ignitor modules out of China. I think they are voltage regulators but have some desirable features. they can accept elevated voltage input, say from a 2 or 3S lipo battery at 8 or 12v respecively, but delive the requisite 1.5-2.0 volts to the plug. Each plug can draw 2-5A depending on some variables which makes them a bad match for any kind of standard cell for all 5 cylinders, especially old school NiMH cells. Anyways I ganged them in parallel, made some copper bus bars & basically have a dedicated switch for each plug. Turn them on to start, turn them off when running/glowing. I can test combinations like lower cylinders only at idle. I tested on a mockup & the plugs all lit, so magic smoke escaped. I also found these nice harness plugs which engage the glow plug stem. They have a contact spring inside.

Attachments

• IMG_5010_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5010_edited-1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5013_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5013_edited-1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5019_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5019_edited-1.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5022_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5022_edited-1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4864_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4864_edited-1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 7

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made a test stand out of plywood. Basically houses the tank, throttle control, glow ignition box. Glued, screwed & 2K clear to resist the usual mess of fuel, oil, exhaust...

Attachments

• IMG_5089_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5089_edited-1.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5094_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5094_edited-1.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5134_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5134_edited-1.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5124_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5124_edited-1.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1503_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1503_edited-1.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 12

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I made a model scale version of a leak down tester like auto engine techs use. Basically you have high pressure feeding a gage from a compressor regulator, then an orifice restriction in between the second engine reading gauge, then a hose to a shop made plug fitting. Pressure was set about 40 psi initially. I initially used a sensitive needle valve rather than what would be a teeny small orifice hole, somewhat guessing at diameter. The procedure is: put piston at TDC, open the inlet valve to source pressure, open needle valve slightly & observe. Ideally both gages should read the same number with no hissing coming past either intake or exhaust valves, or blow-by past ring into crankcase.

Attachments

• IMG_5114_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5114_edited-1.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5115_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5115_edited-1.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5117_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5117_edited-1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5118_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5118_edited-1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did I mention the initial TDC thing? Yeah if its not there the prop kicks when it sees pressure causing much bench commotion LOL. I didn't have enough hands to hold the prop in position & snap the trophy pic with both gages gages reading very close to equal pressure for as long as I want to stare at it (ie. success!). I have no valve loss & just very slow leak off past the ring gap. Everything is new so should get better yet when broke in. For sanity check I pulled one of my dads old engines which I knew was running & got identical results (again, a dummy picture before pressure up & TDC). So on to the text task.

Attachments

• IMG_5197_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5197_edited-1.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5199_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5199_edited-1.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5198_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5198_edited-1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

JustaDB

Ultra Member
<sigh>

Just read the entire thread. I am so out of my league...

Peter, stunning work. Good for you. I am in awe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Just a bit out of my league as well.
Thing of beauty second to none, well done Peter.
In airplane terms I think the saying is 90% done with 90% left to do. ;)
Any idea of the big day? (running the engine)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. Regarding test run... 'soon' LOL. I'm slowly running out of things to deal with machining/construction wise, so its more about careful top end assembly, rechecking timing & rocker gaps, all that stuff. I need to make some custom gaskets for certain surfaces I'm pretty sure will leak nice things get warm & shaky. I'm quite certain I'll be into the engine many more times yet, thinking otherwise is probably wishful thinking. What I'd like to do is run it my back yard close to my shop where the tools are. But I don't think my neighbors would appreciate my hobby & I don't really have anything secure to mount it to yet. My flying field has a clapped out picnic table that could use some castor refinishing, but the entry is still snowed in & it would be a long drive knowing I'd forget or require something.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks guys. Regarding test run... 'soon' LOL. I'm slowly running out of things to deal with machining/construction wise, so its more about careful top end assembly, rechecking timing & rocker gaps, all that stuff. I need to make some custom gaskets for certain surfaces I'm pretty sure will leak nice things get warm & shaky. I'm sure I'll be into the engine many more times yet, thinking otherwise is wishful thinking. What I'd like to do is run it my back yard close to my shop where the tools are. But I don't think my neighbors would appreciate my hobby & I don't really have anything secure to mount it to yet. My flying field has a clapped out picnic table that could use some castor refinishing, but the entry is still snowed in & it would be a long drive knowing I'd forget or require something.

Where abouts is your flying field?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It runs! I need to figure out a way to link a video.

Doing an inspection teardown down. Things look pretty good, but a few tweaks here & there. I decided to make some head shims to adjust CR a bit. These are 0.005" thick & rather fussy things to make. Ideally I would like some even thinner. Perhaps there is an easier way than these fixtures but clamping & alignment& tolerance is rather important so kind of what I came up with. Just in case you find yourself having to make something similar. Step-1 ID bore

Attachments

• IMG_5373_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5373_edited-1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5376_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5376_edited-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5377_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5377_edited-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5378_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5378_edited-1.jpg