• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

R8 collets

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Little Machine Shop has a solid column conversion kit for the X2 mini mills that drastically improves rigidity, as well as a 2” riser block. Also really nice folks to deal with, very knowledgeable and helpful.

I like LMS, I just can't handle their shipping rates.

I see. Nice machine!

I would not bother with a post extension unless you can find a good one pre-made to fit the mill and then only at the bottom.

But it looks like it has plenty of Z travel for its size. What are you making that you need more Z travel?

But ya, I think the whole R8-ER20 thing is the way to go with perhaps a few R8 collets in common sizes (1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 6mm, 12mm).

If you need more headroom for drilling, drill bits should work fairly well in the ER collets.

It doesn't look like a better drill chuck will get you anything. It's already pretty compact.
For drilling I have a half horse power drill press if I need long drill usage in larger pieces. My longer term plan is possibly custom triple trees on my competiton Trials Motorcycle, some time in the future though.

You will have to pull the draw bar and measure the dia. and thread pitch. Before buying collets you need to ensure the threads match you draw bar.

R8 collets will buy you the most head room and if you want to bypass using your drill chuck you will need a full set of metric collets. I use a R8-ER20 collet chuck with a full set of metric collets when the drill chuck is a problem. The ER20 collet chuck and collets are a lot cheaper than a full set of metric R8 collets.
Looks like I have a 7/16th with 20 UNF thread. does that sound right ?

Oooops..... fixed.

The head is raised/lowered via a rack and pinion that's rather sloppy. You would be down feeding with the fine feed and the head drops as the pinion picks up a new tooth on the rack. The torsion head support spring isn't stiff enough to prevent it. The air spring supports the head much better and alleviates the problem some what. Shimming the rack closer to the pinion helps as well. All very annoying and documented on the web.

Waiting on this as its back ordered till August but plan on getting it the the other two DRO's I need , I have one on the column.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Eric,
Here is set of R8 collets that I posted on Saturday.
Drawbar is 7/16”-20
Metric Bores.
Amazon has the whole set on for $102.00

BrandHHIP
MaterialSteel
Included componentsRound Collet Set

About this item​

• Made of hardened, high grade tool steel
  • Precision ground to close tolerance
  • Internal thread is 7/16"-20
  • Includes 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, and 20mm
  • Collets minimize the amount working height used. Much less then drill chucks and boring bars with required cutting tips.
The LINK is included here.

Specifications for this item​

Brand NameHHIP
Ean0769053092423
Global Trade Identification Number00769053092423
Included ComponentsRound Collet Set
MaterialSteel
Measurement SystemMetric
Model Number3903-0006

My appologies I should have introduced myself at the beginning !
I took two metal shops in high school then in Art / trade school studdied precious metals in the Jewellery and Silver smithing trades. 9 years training as a goldsmith and diamond mounter, now since 1960 I have been in the trade 61 years. Covid slowed things big time but still do a bit to keep my hand in now. If it helps take a look at www.brackenbury.ca
Last couple of years started getting a few tools together in the garage where I fight for space with my competition Trials motorcycles. Been a fix it person all my life. Hope that enough to clue you in where I am at now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For drilling I have a half horse power drill press if I need long drill usage in larger pieces. My longer term plan is possibly custom triple trees on my competiton Trials Motorcycle, some time in the future though.

A million years ago I had a trials bike. Never competed though. Just loved the go-anywhere ability. Had an enduro after that and missed the trials bike so much that I switched the enduro to knobby tires, and swapped in a giant ring gear and smaller drive gear.

What the heck is a triple stack?

Eric,
Here is set of R8 collets that I posted on Saturday.
Drawbar is 7/16”-20
Metric Bores.
Amazon has the whole set on for $102.00

BrandHHIP
MaterialSteel
Included componentsRound Collet Set

About this item​

• Collets minimize the amount working height used. Much less then drill chucks and boring bars with required cutting tips.
The LINK is included here.

Specifications for this item​

Brand NameHHIP
Ean0769053092423
Global Trade Identification Number00769053092423
Included ComponentsRound Collet Set
MaterialSteel
Measurement SystemMetric
Model Number3903-0006

Will they take the 7/16 draw bar ?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Look at the . . . “About this item”

Look at the . . . “About this item”
Getting late and you can take the horse to the trough but it won't always drink ;-)

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I took two metal shops in high school then in Art / trade school studdied precious metals in the Jewellery and Silver smithing trades. 9 years training as a goldsmith and diamond mounter, now since 1960 I have been in the trade 61 years. Covid slowed things big time but still do a bit to keep my hand in now. If it helps take a look at www.brackenbury.ca
Last couple of years started getting a few tools together in the garage where I fight for space with my competition Trials motorcycles. Been a fix it person all my life. Hope that enough to clue you in where I am at now.
Beautiful work Eric! Welcome to the forum!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
really beautiful stuff. Not going to show your site to the cruise director, could have an adverse effect on our retirement funds

A million years ago I had a trials bike. Never competed though. Just loved the go-anywhere ability. Had an enduro after that and missed the trials bike so much that I switched the enduro to knobby tires, and swapped in a giant ring gear and smaller drive gear.

What the heck is a triple stack?
Triple Trees are the two units holding the forks ;-)

Nice site Eric. I've been doing some lost wax casting recent myself, mechanical not jewellery, but there's often interesting overlaps with these metal crafts. Just got a Smith torch and have to learn to do the .001" gas welds now :)

Welcome to the forum.
Mike
Thanks, I don't do lost wax but if I need castin I use cuttlebone all my other work is from scratch and I use propane and oxygen. yes many skills overlap and for me its getting back to high school pleasure denied my (not great teachers) plus I am an avid Trials motorcyclist so wil be updating some parts on my vintage bike and doing mods on my modern Moto Trials machine :)