• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

R8 collets

Hi folks, new to milling and need to get R8 collets to gain some height with my sieg mini mill.
Other than LMS, any recomendations whether to buy a set or singles as required and from whome ?
TIA
Eric B

Sorry these ones : Collet Set, R8 Metric, Set of 10
Havent got three posts up yet so cannot put the link
Part Number: 5915

Or the larger set
Collet Set, R8, Set of 23
Part Number: 2872

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So you want R8 metric collets? What size/thread is your draw bar?

The set of 23 you listed is imperial?

If you want to get a set of metric R8's (BTW the draw bar is still usually imperial I have a metric R8 of 10mm)

Try ebay.de and to ensure you get on the german version use a VPN with the german address.

A better recommendation is to to add a spacer usually 6" is the right amount to compensate for the vise yet still allow full contact at the upper end.

Now you can use R8 ER32 system which gives better coverage at lower cost.

Before
1658544105591.jpeg

After

1658544150348.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi folks, new to milling and need to get M8 collets to gain some height with my sieg mini mill.
Other than LMS, any recomendations whether to buy a set or singles as required and from whome ?
TIA
Eric B

I didn't see an introduction in the new members area. Consider doing that and introducing yourself.

In the meantime, a big welcome from farm country south of Chatham Ontario!

As others have said, look for R8 not M8.

When I bought a few selected R8 collets recently, I made the mistake of assuming that the drawbar thread was a standard. It isn't. Just some are more common than others. Best to check what your machine uses before you go shopping for R8 collets.

Also, R8 collets are not ideal for holding end mills. You might be better off getting an R8 to ER32 or ER40 adapter instead and then getting a good set of ER collets on 1/16ths increments.

Of course, that will eat up some of your headroom. Many many users install a column extension on their mills to deal with this issue.

Again, WELCOME!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Eric,
BusyBee has a good selection of R8 collets at it’s Toronto stores.
I bought a few for my Mini-Mill up to 3/4” - $12/ea.

If you want to get a set of metric R8's (BTW the draw bar is still usually imperial I have a metric R8 of 10mm)

Try ebay.de and to ensure you get on the german version use a VPN with the german address.

A better recommendation is to to add a spacer usually 6" is the right amount to compensate for the vise yet still allow full contact at the upper end.

Now you can use R8 ER32 system which gives better coverage at lower cost.

Before
View attachment 25150

After

View attachment 25151
Wonder if I can extend the height on my SIEG X2 mini mill though, but I see what you have done.

Wonder if I can extend the height on my SIEG X2 mini mill though, but I see what you have done.
In your case you would need to add the extension at the base of the column, the hardest part us determining how much extra you need. It is a fine balance between work holding (directly on the table/ in a vise), tool holder, tool length and finally work size.

The second item is go solid spacer, it adds dead mass which basically adds dampening to vibrations. This is important in all lighter machinery.

In your case you would need to add the extension at the base of the column, the hardest part us determining how much extra you need. It is a fine balance between work holding (directly on the table/ in a vise), tool holder, tool length and finally work size.

The second item is go solid spacer, it adds dead mass which basically adds dampening to vibrations. This is important in all lighter machinery.
Perhaps a new thread on this subject might be the right thing to do ?

So you want R8 metric collets? What size/thread is your draw bar?

The set of 23 you listed is imperial?
Where can I find the thread size, there is nothing in the scant booklet I got with the machine.
I should say the intent is to give me more work height, at the moment I hace an R8 morse collet but I see it like the drill chuck reduces the size of what can be done. I figure the use of R8 collets will gain some in this respect.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Where can I find the thread size, there is nothing in the scant booklet I got with the machine.
I should say the intent is to give me more work height, at the moment I hace an R8 morse collet but I see it like the drill chuck reduces the size of what can be done. I figure the use of R8 collets will gain some in this respect.

Pull the draw bar out the top and measure the thread. Sometimes you have to push it up a bit from the bottom to grab ahold of it at the top. Also, there are often washers and sleeves in there. Watch when you pull it out to see their order or be careful to leave them on there.

Post a photo of your R8 Morse stuff. I think we might be hung up on terminology.

The taper is R8 not Morse.

Unless you have an R8 to Morse adapter. In which case it is best to put that in the drawer for some future time when you might need it, and get an R8 Drill Chuck instead.

For holding end mills, the best is R8 Collets,

or an R8 ER32 adapter and a small set of ER32 Collets.

I selected these for low cost not top quality. They will all work fine but some might say spend a little more.

Last edited: