• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Printing with nylon filament

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I don't have experience with Nylon, but just a quick comment on temperature. When I was hunting around for a printer 3 or so years ago I distinctly remember warnings about if your extruder has a PTFE liner, it will start off-gassing neurotoxins temps above 250C LOL.

Agreed you don't want hot PTFE.....but afaik I the PTFE is on the other side of heat break and should never see temps like that. As for outgassing and risks with filaments....yeah, we should probably be more concerned than most are. Enclosure with a carbon filter would be best.

I've heard popping when printing some filaments - it was not printing well. The popping is moisture exploding into steam? How are you drying your filament? There are some filament dryer appliances. I tried to use a toaster oven once on the above filament that was popping. I ruined the spool - all the filament melted all together.

I've used Polycast (for investment casting) and its suppose to be super hydroscopic. What worked is a dehumidifier in the room, get things down to its lowest setting, unseal the filament then reseal after use in the provide bag. It worked well, no issues.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
afaik I the PTFE is on the other side of heat break and should never see temps like that.
I hope this is true for all printers currently on the market, but the ender 3 atleast (not sure about the ender 3 v2 or ender 3 Pro) had the PTFE tube go all the way through the heat break and butt up against the nozzle.

1682215345020.png

Attachments

• 1682215211493.png
    1682215211493.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 2

Maker Mike

Premium Member
I have printed Taulman 910 with good success. I added a garolite bed and use a glue stick. I'll try checking my settings. Might be a bit above 250C but I'm not sure. I have my printer in an enclosure but it isn't heated, so I'm not sure if an enclosure is needed. My printer is a lulzbot mini. Prints well but has a tiny print area.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
some printers have an all metal hot end, anything with an e3d v6 for example, but most have a ptfe lined hot end for ease of use and reliability (less prone to jams/clogs)

in either case, swapping to an all metal hot end is pretty easy, depending on your hot end you may even just be able to swap the heat break for an all metal version

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I changed my Ender 3 hotend to a all metal Microswiss. The ptfe stops before the extruder gears so not much heat there. Haven't printed much with ABS or NYlon but wnated to have the option.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I hope this is true for all printers currently on the market, but the ender 3 atleast (not sure about the ender 3 v2 or ender 3 Pro) had the PTFE tube go all the way through the heat break and butt up against the nozzle.

Wow, that is not good! I have a prusa which has an ED3 hotend (actually theirs is a a slightly modified ED3 hotend, lots of problems until I made it a true ED3) and the PTEF terminates on the cool side of the heat break

The whole topic has me thinking enclosure with carbon filter air exit. I'd rather not breathe any of it, and who knows what they'll one day discover some this crap does do you. Enclosures also make for better prints (no drafts)

Johnwa

Ultra Member
My extruder has been sketchy for a couple of years with areas where it was clearly under extruding. This week it got so bad my prints failed. The attached picture shows the ptfe tube. I print ABS at 230C. The ptfe is likely about 10 years old and has shrunk to the point cold filament won’t go through it. Even heated up with the nozzle removed it was difficult to push filament through.
E13F86DD-6F4E-463A-A183-685B6342D2B9.jpeg

Cryoine

First off, I have had great success with PLA so far. Only one messed up print out of about 150 pieces because I didn't have the bed leveled quite right.
however, I warned you I'd be a pain the butt with questions so here goes.
I purchased a roll of nylon filament and wanted to print a couple things and have had nothing but failure and frustration. I have spent several hours on google and youtube trying to figure this out with no success. I cannot get the prints to adhere to the bed, and have had to unplug and clean out the nozzle several times (glad I have an extra one)
Here's what I've tried so far:
-gone through all the slicer settings (I'm using Cura 4.5) and tried many different combinations of temperature and fan settings as per several suggestions on the 'net
-installed a glass bed with glue stick and retried the different settings.

If anyone has suggestions that could help me sort this and figure out what I'm missing would be awesome.

BTW...It was a brand new sealed package so I don't think I need to "bake" it and dry it out, or do I?
we have success with our ultimaker printers and nylon, what settings are you using to print?
also what size filament are u running?

we run with glue stick on the bed
glass bed
250C nozzle temp
255C for first layer
60C bed temp

thermal settings
image_2023-05-30_153943489.png
also print cooling and 2-5mm brim helps to keep it on the bed
image_2023-05-30_154005896.png