Post vise and striking anvil stand combo

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Sunday is usually my run around finishing projects day.....

I finished the fitting on the vise spring. Surprisingly it didn't really need much, just reduce the width under the clamp to 1.25" with the angle grinder, and clean up some of the edges. I was pretty chuffed when it fit the first time. I'd rather be lucky than good
pnDmw5M.jpg
vqbuAK8.jpg
RBGEHWJ.jpg

It will spring the jaw open to about 4", and from there gravity will take over. Only thing left is to pick up some 5" 1/2-13" SHCS to replace the hold down hardware. The nuts sticking out impeded the passage of long stock. I didn't really take that into consideration when I made that cap. I may have to punt on that idea in the future if it becomes too much of an issue, but recessing the cap screw into a counter bore should suffice. I hope....

I also got the first glimpse at how much this stuff is going to rust in there over the winter :(. That shed has always been pretty bad for storing stuff in. I really wanted to paint all this stuff, before I filled it, but it got too cold before I could. The kids and I will have a sandpaper party in the spring, before I slather on some tremclad.

A few odds and ends I still want to do with this vise stand, but I'll chip away at it, and update accordingly.

Chicks dig blacksmiths....:D
FmEXaqJ.jpg

Ironman

Ultra Member
Very nice, Dan.
I do enjoy a step by step pictorial on how and what you did to achieve this. We all used to do this at Shopflootalk, but old age and smaller projects mean I don't even bring the camera to the shop very much.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks Ironman. I find it tough to really do a proper step by step documentation of the process, taking really well setup and detailed photographs. It really adds a lot of time (for me anyway), so I've gravitated more towards a "look over my shoulder while I do this" approach and just try to snap pics of things I'd find interesting while I'm building stuff. It's a balance between getting stuff done, and taking people along for the ride. I miss some things, pics aren't as well staged as I'd like them to be when I get around to posting them, or missing altogether, but for the most part I think it's an entertaining balance.

I've tried to be a bit more Professional and polished, I've tried doing the youtube video thing, but in both cases the amount of extra effort and time is really noticable, and doesn't really fit the scope of what I'm trying to do, and that's simply just share some projects that I make because someone might find them interesting.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've tried to be a bit more Professional and polished, I've tried doing the youtube video thing, but in both cases the amount of extra effort and time is really noticable, and doesn't really fit the scope of what I'm trying to do, and that's simply just share some projects that I make because someone might find them interesting.

This is why I find using my phone to take and upload photos to be so handy. I don't bother using a computer. My phone is in my pocket anyway, so I just take photos when I feel like it, then upload them to the forum along with comments whenever I take a break and feel like posting. I can do that right in the shop.

Videos are a whole nuther matter. I don't generally make videos cuz I have zero interest in doing it and even less interest in sharing them.

Tom O

Ultra Member
The video program I have lets you copy frames for pics using a go pro or similar camera that would make it easier, there is also a program that removes the go pro distortion.