Playing around with Fusion 360

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here are some of the corrections involved in internal module gears. Lots more on the interweb & machineries handbook.
If the plug-in app is cognizant of corrections based on basic input parameters, you are good to go. If not, then.... its not! LOL.
It would be comforting if they provided some kind of ANSI or whatever spec reference in their docs, otherwise with nothing its essentially a leap of faith unless maybe someone else has corroborated. Again, it may or may not be an issue based on relative tooth count & module combinations. About all you could do is do run interference detection in CAD, but that's just once condition to check, other factors are involved.

I'm curious, what size gear are you talking & what is the cutter diameter? Be interesting to see your pics when the time comes.

Upnorth

I started modeling the oil pump. It's a bit of a weird shape so it was confusing to draw. For some of the parts you have to reference other parts and drawings to figure out how to drill the holes. It gets confusing. The drawings and written instructions are not always clear. It's possible they are clear though and I just don't know what I am doing. Drawing shapes and then trimming away your reference points can be risky. Still lots of slots and holes to make. Then I'll have to model and fit the gears.
Oil Pump.jpg Oil Pump Model.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you have the Hodgson documentation binder? from what I've seen its as good as it ever gets, albeit more machining sequence. Other engines are basically drawings & very miniscule instructions ranging from nothing at all to sparse LOL. My Ohrndof 5-cyl fit on 2 pages & it was in German. Well, keep at it, I suspect it will slowly sink in especially with the HMEM build posts. Its a good habit to build subassemblies of inter-related parts. Sometimes that makes geometry more meaningful, this mates to that, this hole lines up to that hole etc.

Upnorth

Do you have the Hodgson documentation binder? from what I've seen its as good as it ever gets, albeit more machining sequence. Other engines are basically drawings & very miniscule instructions ranging from nothing at all to sparse LOL. My Ohrndof 5-cyl fit on 2 pages & it was in German. Well, keep at it, I suspect it will slowly sink in especially with the HMEM build posts. Its a good habit to build subassemblies of inter-related parts. Sometimes that makes geometry more meaningful, this mates to that, this hole lines up to that hole etc.
I do have a full set of plans. I purchased them from the son of the original designer. So they are legitimate. I find some of them to be clear and some not so much. I think some of the references are for a specific piece of equipment that would be used in a manual shop. I'm going to be doing all the drilling on a CNC mill so it would be nice to just have instructions based on distance from centre and clock angle. I do agree with what you say though about it slowly sinking in. I can better visualize how things fit together from a solid part than a paper drawing. I find a computer model to be in the middle for me to understand things.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup, his engines were replicated in 2D CAD which was actually a big step forward to some other engines of the vintage, before CNC was popular any home shop. I actually met him at NAMES event in the 90's & saw it run. That was the model engineering show that really gave me the 'one day I'd like to do that' bug.

Have you seen Tom's site? I'm not sure he ever finished it but some nice build details.

I have one better, the textbook the give you all the formulas, which how I designed my gears in the mid '90s along with the cutter. Had a friend grind the cutter for me.