• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Planning a manufacturing class for coworkers

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Gosh, this forum occasionally sounds like a bunch of old codgers whining about “kids these days”.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gosh, this forum occasionally sounds like a bunch of old codgers whining about “kids these days”.

Ya, maybe a bit. But to be honest, I'm not fussed about the kids. They have lots of time to learn. It's all those old people my own age that can't make a proper fire that depress me.

Anyways, while we are on the subject of fire starting, one of my boys got me this really cool fire starter from Africa. I'll have to see if I can find it and take a photo. You put a bit of tinder from a dead tree in the bottom of it and then compress the plunger as fast as you can. The gas gets so hot from the rapid pressurization that it ignites the tinder. It's VERY COOL!

Tom O

Ultra Member
My sister in law watches Survivor so one Christmas I bought her a flint/striker just in case she wanted to Challenge the kids.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Good memory Tom. Yes I did in fact make a few of those. Here is a video clip I made 5 years ago of one of my fire starters actually working.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Good memory Tom. Yes I did in fact make a few of those. Here is a video clip I made 5 years ago of one of my fire starters actually working.

I love stuff like that!

I'd love to make one. Maybe modify it to be as effective as possible.

I don't suppose that you have plans for it?

Also tips and tricks.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I probably do have a drawing. I will have a look for a drawing when I get home. I got the idea from clickspring. I see they are selling them now but they were not when I first made mine.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@historicalarms and @YYCHM

That's it. You have both failed. No campfires for either of you until you attend an obligatory campfire class and get a passing grade from @Chickenlights.

Diesel fuel and gasoline for Pete sake...... (Insert image of grumbly old man shaking his head in disgust.)

historicalarms

Ultra Member
@historicalarms and @YYCHM

That's it. You have both failed. No campfires for either of you until you attend an obligatory campfire class and get a passing grade from @Chickenlights.

Diesel fuel and gasoline for Pete sake...... (Insert image of grumbly old man shaking his head in disgust.)

Hmmm Dont recall hearing any complaints from Chicken on the couple BBQ meals prepared over my "Indian fire" :):)

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The absolute best is birch bark from a DEAD tree. Stuff burns HOT and will even get wet wood going.
People pay millions for fire starting products every year yet the best product is free, I scrounge all my firewood in the neighborhood always great to find some birch and build up a supply of bark, as you say burns hot always have success using it.

mikefrost

I really like the idea of what you are doing.
Engineers will have learned pV=nRT.

So a fire piston would be a great way to make someting "practical"

Takes theory and makes it practice including safety.
Planning, measuring, machining are all involved, and the results are immediately evident (pass / fail / try again)

Marks could be presented for how the thing looks as well as how well it works.

I (sort of) did the same thing as you in the YLab Maker Space members in York Region - we have access to the machine shop at the Dunlap Observatory. I'll steal the idea of the fire piston.

Mike

SparWeb

Some things I've come up with for the course.

Angles.JPG

The goals would be simply to make the angles bent from sheet-metal and drill holes in a straight line across the flanges. Different holes can have different functions, such as rivets, countersunk rivets, or screws/bolts. Lots to talk about just with that. Then if a group is making these angles, then they can assemble the pieces together. Alignment of the respective pieces requires matching the holes - starting with pilot holes and up-size drilling would be necessary.

Another lesson would use the lathe to make a simple bushing from round stock. To simplify, we can start with tube stock. To make it more challenging, the bushing can have a shoulder. Even more challenging would be to control the diameter of the bushing so that it press-fits into a hole (and drill+ream the mating hole).

Both of these offer a step-by-step series of operations, and time permitting allow the group to accomplish more or less tasks, depending on their ability and time available.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I commend you on your efforts to put together the training class. My input here is a bit late maybe but anyhow I think the many comments about safety are good advice. In my workspace (cramped corner of the garage), I don't have a picture of my ripped-off fingernail or one of my other ER trips. I do have this paint can permanently on display close to where I do most of my grinding. It's not bloody but speaks volumes. A few years ago a cut-off disc broke. A few moments later I saw a puddle of paint at the back of my bench. Since then my sometimes worn face shield is now close at hand and used whenever grinding, drilling, or doing other such activities.
IMG-7053.JPG IMG-7054.JPG

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
. Since then my sometimes worn face shield is now close at hand and used whenever grinding, drilling, or doing other such activities.
View attachment 23173View attachment 23174

See Thread 'Angle grinders. Most dangerous tool in the shop?'