• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Planning a manufacturing class for coworkers

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Pictures?
I should learn not to rely on memory. Actually 1/2” plate and 5/16”-18 UNC.

Hacksaw, file, lathe, drill press, tap & die, torch and hammer to flatten bar ends

Attachments

• 99E0ECF2-0714-4C67-B849-F64D0F0CCC14.jpeg
    99E0ECF2-0714-4C67-B849-F64D0F0CCC14.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 927BEF99-E7D3-4CAB-9D3C-790CD76F24D7.jpeg
    927BEF99-E7D3-4CAB-9D3C-790CD76F24D7.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 7
  • D88324DF-77C6-450E-8AB1-B86C2BF8E5A6.jpeg
    D88324DF-77C6-450E-8AB1-B86C2BF8E5A6.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 6

SparWeb

Hey, yeah! Those are fun ideas. +1vote for the photo of that C-clamp!
At some point SAIT switched over to making a machinist's hammer. We even heat-treated the head. Still got mine.

SAIT Aero class of 1999, here, by the way.
Eagle, Borek, Field, Avmax - I've worked with them all, now (except Viking, lucky me).

SparWeb

@Janger,
You're right, of course, but in order to lay the groundwork for success, I shouldn't be setting up operations that need 90 pounds on a breaker bar, for example.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey, yeah! Those are fun ideas. +1vote for the photo of that C-clamp!
At some point SAIT switched over to making a machinist's hammer. We even heat-treated the head. Still got mine.

SAIT Aero class of 1999, here, by the way.
Eagle, Borek, Field, Avmax - I've worked with them all, now (except Viking, lucky me).

My son worked for Viking and Caribou(?). He works for WestJet now and just loves it there.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Ok - here is my input from a guy who went to school and learned from some great guys (may they Rest In Peace)

Girls/guys - don’t even go there - both sides can be stupid and what to enforce is SAFETY

- projects: several layers depending on what you intend on
Displaying - hand tools- files, grinding , sharpening etc

- machines - lathes, mills drill press etc - maybe a clamp, hammer, stepped shaft

-welding - stick, TIG, mig etc. positions ???

- sheet metal work
- soldering
-so many things

Probably easy to demonstrate some stuff - complicated to even show all the trades let alone the talent to make most of the items people dream up.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
@Janger and I took the into to machining course at saint and made a machinist hammer. Great project. Good course. The part I found lacking was basic hand tool education. Hacksaw, filing, tin-snips, rivet gun, using a utility knife...... my dad instilled those skills into me, but I think the basics are long overlooked.

The curriculum you laid out looks good, I think it will bear fruit!

Perry

Ultra Member
It may not be feasible to what you are trying to achieve, but there is nothing like working on your own project which becomes a take-home trinket. Even if its a non-functioning demo object. Somehow you have skin in the game & become more focused. Maybe its fear of not making the ugly one LOL. My first machining class was making a plumb bob with instructor assistance, then a center punch on your own, no help. . I still use the (O1) center punch to this day. The plumb bob wasn't doing a lot of bobbing but was made from nice 12L14 so it donated its soul to a higher purpose. And I still have my useless TIG welded coupon which holds a single pen (mostly to remind me that I still don't have a TIG welder).

If the class structure or machine / material availability doesn't lend itself to individual projects & it has to be a team project, consider throwing names in a hat & the lucky (or unlucky) winner takes home a riveted stainless steel bottle opener.

If the local tech college is anything like ours, man, the prices are getting steep. Example $650 for 30 hour welding class.
Sounds like you went to SAIT. I still use my center punch and had to use the string on the plumb bob to cut the flow of blood off coming out of my two fingers a few years ago.....lol.

Perry

Ultra Member
One of the first classes in Sait's Aeronautical Engineering program in the late 70's involved duplicating a C-Clamp using nothing more than a hacksaw and file. You measured the sample and laid it out on a chuck of steel with a scribe and layout fluid and then spend the next 5 classes sawing and filing. It was one of the classes that made me realize the program wasn't for me LOL.
Oh, I have my C clamp too. I forgot about that one. Should make a few C clamp kits on the CNC mill to help the students out and pay for some new toys for me ....lol

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you went to SAIT. I still use my center punch and had to use the string on the plumb bob to cut the flow of blood off coming out of my two fingers a few years ago.....lol.
Yes, I did. But the machining interest disease inflicted me even in high school. So I took an evening class, what they called Basic Machining. The project was a brass canon. I mentioned it in this post.

Perry

Ultra Member
This thread brought up a bunch of memories. That center punch and the plumb bob was my first real exposure to a lathe. I was hooked. Just too poor and too busy to get into the hobby when I was that young. :)

So I went to grab the items for a fast picture and yes that is dried up blood on the plumb bob from the string I used as a tourniquet.

I think with the internet most people can learn a lot of things these days on their own. Something that can not be learned off the internet is safety, common sense and patience.

I would try to teach the students safety, common sense and patience. The idea of thinking a process fully thru.
What are the consequences if this doesn't work the way I planned? What could go wrong and is there a backup in case it does? Will it put myself at risk?

I would have to agree the C clamp tested the patience of many in my class. Only about 2/3rd of the orignal group got past that first class.

Attachments

• DSC_4254.JPG
    DSC_4254.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 3

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Janger and I took the into to machining course at saint and made a machinist hammer. Great project. Good course. The part I found lacking was basic hand tool education. Hacksaw, filing, tin-snips, rivet gun, using a utility knife...... my dad instilled those skills into me, but I think the basics are long overlooked.

The curriculum you laid out looks good, I think it will bear fruit!
I’ve had the pleasure to work beside young staff at a summer camp for many years but it’s shocking how many basic skills they lack. Building a fire, splitting wood, using a cordless drill, reversing a vehicle, paddling a canoe etc. Mind you a lot come from Toronto and surrounding area for the summer but still. Who the heck can’t build a fire???

The funny part is that some of these same kids were in school at the same time to be accountants architects and you guessed it engineers :D

SparWeb

@Perry,
I like those tips about planning.
When you get a new drawing, your first step isn't to grab the material. It's to look it over to understand the part first.
Then think about all the processes and get them in order in your mind.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
it’s shocking how many basic skills they lack. Building a fire, splitting wood, using a cordless drill, reversing a vehicle, paddling a canoe etc. Mind you a lot come from Toronto and surrounding area for the summer but still. Who the heck can’t build a fire???

I don't find this shocking at all. Even the country kids don't get to do all that basic stuff anymore. Our modern world of electricity, computers, entertainment systems, our throw away mentality, modern appliances, hotels, glamping, trades licensing, and general fear/ignorance of the outdoors get in the way all too often.

And for what it's worth, I think you are being WAY TOO GENEROUS! I'd guess that only 1 in 10 people today can get a fire going. Even so, it will take work to do so because it will keep going out. On the other hand a good fire practically lights itself. I'd guess only 1 in 50 can build a decent fire that they can light and then walk away from. Lastly, I'd guess that only one in 10,000 can light a fire without a starter flame (ie no matches, lighter, fuel & spark, etc allowed).

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
We had a great industrial arts class in high-school. The only rule (beyond the safety rules) was that you had to provide drafting drawings of ANYTHING you made. You spent about a week in class doing your drawings, going back, redoing them until they were right, then you could build your stuff (metal/wood -- didn't matter). Taught some really useful skills.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I don't find this shocking at all. Even the country kids don't get to do all that basic stuff anymore. Our modern world of electricity, computers, entertainment systems, our throw away mentality, modern appliances, hotels, glamping, trades licensing, and general fear/ignorance of the outdoors get in the way all too often.

And for what it's worth, I think you are being WAY TOO GENEROUS! I'd guess that only 1 in 10 people today can get a fire going. Even so, it will take work to do so because it will keep going out. On the other hand a good fire practically lights itself. I'd guess only 1 in 50 can build a decent fire that they can light and then walk away from. Lastly, I'd guess that only one in 10,000 can light a fire without a starter flame (ie no matches, lighter, fuel & spark, etc allowed).
We had a friendly 1 match limit (or badge of honour) for fire starting. If you used two or more you were considered a failure.

One of the cooler campfires we hosted we waited until dark. We had toilet paper rolls on sticks, we soaked them in naphtha then once lit they made an impromptu torch. We had a huge log cabin style fire already laid and the two guys leading threw the torches on the kindling and WOOF we had fire :D