• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Planning a manufacturing class for coworkers

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I commend you on your efforts to put together the training class. My input here is a bit late maybe but anyhow I think the many comments about safety are good advice. In my workspace (cramped corner of the garage), I don't have a picture of my ripped-off fingernail or one of my other ER trips. I do have this paint can permanently on display close to where I do most of my grinding. It's not bloody but speaks volumes. A few years ago a cut-off disc broke. A few moments later I saw a puddle of paint at the back of my bench. Since then my sometimes worn face shield is now close at hand and used whenever grinding, drilling, or doing other such activities.
View attachment 23173View attachment 23174

Nice handle. Glad it turned out ok for you. Could have been a forehead.

SparWeb

Thanks for posting that!
It speaks clearly, without saying a word.

Recent developments at my workplace: one of the young members of the engineering department on his own initiative set up a 2-week work-sharing with our sheet-metal shop. Only partly at my suggestion; a number of other "old hands" in my department encouraged him to do this. He starts it Monday.

One thing it means (and how can I complain?) is that he won't be available if I start the course. That's actually put the brakes on my plans, but on the other hand, I can see later what he got out of his work-sharing experience before going ahead with mine. If two other people in the Engineering department take his lead and do the same, then my plans are for naught, but the goal will be served!

Currently, we have an idle mill and lathe because the machinist quit, so even if my guys get experience with manufacturing for a while, they won't see those machines running. I could re-tool my class plan a bit, because knowing how parts are made on those is very complementary to the sheet-metal experience they can get now.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for posting that!
It speaks clearly, without saying a word.

Recent developments at my workplace: one of the young members of the engineering department on his own initiative set up a 2-week work-sharing with our sheet-metal shop. Only partly at my suggestion; a number of other "old hands" in my department encouraged him to do this. He starts it Monday.

One thing it means (and how can I complain?) is that he won't be available if I start the course. That's actually put the brakes on my plans, but on the other hand, I can see later what he got out of his work-sharing experience before going ahead with mine. If two other people in the Engineering department take his lead and do the same, then my plans are for naught, but the goal will be served!

Currently, we have an idle mill and lathe because the machinist quit, so even if my guys get experience with manufacturing for a while, they won't see those machines running. I could re-tool my class plan a bit, because knowing how parts are made on those is very complementary to the sheet-metal experience they can get now.

As they often say, all is well that ends well. I'd celebrate if I were you! Teaching young engineers some practical skills is often as not an exercise in herding cats. A few will drink the coolaide, a few will even swim in it. But the majority need to be thrown in to sink or swim whether or not they like it. Those are also the ones who show up at the job site wearing shiny white hats and pleated dry-cleaned & ironed safety vests complaining about the tradesman who makes more money than they do...... ;)

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
- SparWeb: Sounds like delaying the course would be your best option. The work-sharing would be great experience for him that you could build on with your course or maybe get all your students to do a work-sharing as a prerequisite to your revised course. Also maybe the machinist might be replaced by then. No one said it would be easy.
See Thread 'Angle grinders. Most dangerous tool in the shop?'

Yes, agreed - grinders are most dangerous. My only serious shop incident was thanks to a grinder.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@CWret That is a nice looking shop made press under the paint can. You make that one ?
The hydraulics are a 10t Princess Auto port-a-power. Yes I made the press using salvaged 3x5/8" steel flat bar (Hwy bridge demo) and salvaged 3x4" aluminum channel (from RR bridge demo). The press frame was one of my first welding aluminum exercises using both my new spoolgun and some TIG. This new bench got my vise off of my fab bench where the vise always seemed to be in the way. The grinder sits on a sled that slides on a track on the edge of the bench. The grinder can be easily/quickly set aside and out of the way. The table is extra heavy construction because of the heavy combo vise/anvil, also I didn't want any cross members in the front. IMG-7075.JPG IMG-7073.JPG IMG-7074.JPG IMG-7076.JPG IMG-7072.JPG My plasma water table (top of 45 gal drum) and plasma tool cart neatly roll under the press/vise bench.
Craig

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As they often say, all is well that ends well. I'd celebrate if I were you! Teaching young engineers some practical skills is often as not an exercise in herding cats. A few will drink the coolaide, a few will even swim in it. But the majority need to be thrown in to sink or swim whether or not they like it. Those are also the ones who show up at the job site wearing shiny white hats and pleated dry-cleaned & ironed safety vests complaining about the tradesman who makes more money than they do...... ;)
Like your comments about teaching young engineers. Hands on field experience (dirty hands) should be a prerequisite to entering engineering or at least before graduating. Prior to finishing high school I had been an airtrac (rock drill) operator one summer, was on the blast crew the next summer, and in my spare time I rebuilt the motor on my 2 stroke dirt bike. All great experiences that helped make sense out of the applied science theory.
Craig