• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New to me Bridgeport Mill

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ICAI Online order is due early next week.

Trying to decide between an inexpensive VFD and another TECO (100 VS 300) for the Bridgeport. I'd like to be able to demo the machine when I sell it this spring. If I were buying it, I'd pay the extra 200 for the TECO. But I don't think the average buyer out there would do that. 200 bucks is 200 bucks. The mill repairs are already adding up. It might already be past the breakeven point.

I have a few inputs already. What do the rest of you think?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I always wire the output of my VFD to a plug anyway, so:

To demo the BP, I'd make a point of disconnecting the Hartford and connecting up the BP, explaining that the 'box' is dedicated to the Hartford, but this is for demo only.

after all, the guy may just change the motor. not your problem.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

To demo the BP, I'd make a point of disconnecting the Hartford and connecting up the BP, explaining that the 'box' is dedicated to the Hartford, but this is for demo only.

So the problem is all the custom tuned settings on the Hartford VFD ready motor VS a plain Jane rewound non-vfd motor on the BP. Once or twice won't kill me, but more than 3 times isn't a good idea - plus the potential for screwing something up. Plus maybe the desire to use the BP once in a while before I sell it.

Edit - AND I am in the process of making a control box with switches, readouts, etc for the Hartford & the VFD.

Or be running the shop on a phase converter..... A home built one at that. :) I agree, keep your cost down and let the buyer decide which option he takes.

I'm a slow typer...... In light of that, I would be inclined to purchase which ever vfd I would be happy being stuck with, and plan for that, if the buyer wants it, so be it, otherwise having a spare in waiting isn't a bad thing, you can always make a belt grinder. :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do that all the time too.

Ya, a spare VFD for other equipment isn't a bad idea at all. In fact, I've been eying that motor on my lathe ever since I fired up the VFD on the mill. I think maybe you have the answer. I'll mull it over tonight.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The TECO support guys tell me that the VFD will accomodate based on back EMf as long as the 2 motors have similar current ratings...

Good point. And I don't have to use the full Hartford Motor speed range.

I do that all the time too.

Ya, a spare VFD for other equipment isn't a bad idea at all. In fact, I've been eying that motor on my lathe ever since I fired up the VFD on the mill. I think maybe you have the answer. I'll mull it over tonight.
I recently got this one for next to nothing, I figured it was better to have and not need, than to need and not have. It's just a cheap offshore one, and one day I will attempt to wire it up to the lathe. It's way too big at 10 hp and the lathe is two, but I have read that I should be okay, and if not it cost me little more than a couple packs of cigarettes, and I quit them years ago, so it was free...:) In fact, as I describe it to my wife the whole machine shop was free. Because I bought everything in it with the money I saved, when I buy another truck, I remind her of when I quit drinking. :cool: 20211201_151427.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I recently got this one for next to nothing, I figured it was better to have and not need, than to need and not have. It's just a cheap offshore one, and one day I will attempt to wire it up to the lathe. It's way too big at 10 hp and the lathe is two, but I have read that I should be okay, and if not it cost me little more than a couple packs of cigarettes, and I quit them years ago, so it was free...:) In fact, as I describe it to my wife the whole machine shop was free. Because I bought everything in it with the money I saved, when I buy another truck, I remind her of when I quit drinking. :cool:View attachment 18657
This is all GREAT info.

I just wish I could remember all that when I'm being attacked....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The TECO support guys tell me that the VFD will accomodate based on back EMf as long as the 2 motors have similar current ratings...

But still, reprogramming all the set points and switch settings, speeds, and break points is a royal PIA. I really like @140mower idea of just buying another VFD for myself. I will be needing one soon enough for my lathe anyway and I'd prefer to get one the same as the one I have now.

So I think I will just get the good Teco VFD and install it on the BP. If whoever buys the BP wants the VFD, I'll just add the price, if not they can buy their own or get another motor or whatever they want.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I mentioned it because I use my VFD on 3 machines, all with a 6.2 - 6.5Amp rating.

Yes. That is good info.

FWIW, mine has already worked on both machines. Their current ratings are similar at 60hz, but using the VFD on them was two different experiences.

I just don't want to be constantly reconfiguring them for all the switches, the external pot, and the settings.

And since I'm gunna want another one for my lathe at some point anyway. It just makes sense to get it now. At least that's my thinking on it.

I dunno if I ever thanked you as much as you deserve to be thanked. Your advice on motors, VFDs, and so much more when I first started down this path was absolutely priceless! Lord only knows how much trouble I would have gotten myself into if you had not coached me as you did.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Teco VFD Ordered. ETA Monday.

Base to Turret Spider has cleared customs and arrives Monday too.

Edit - Think I'll remove all those industrial switches and breakers and set them aside in case a buyer wants them. Nice place to mount a VFD.

Let the "Spit and Polish" begin!

Should be a nice looking machine when we are all done!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The great thing is they converted M1/2 fastener to 4 significant figures of mm length so you can be assured of accurate dimensions.
Must be an oversight, but I wonder if that's M1/2x 1.934mm coarse pitch or 1.270mm fine pitch? LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-12-14 6.06.26 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-12-14 6.06.26 PM.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm going to guess it should say 12mm thread as the major diameter of that would be about 11.7mm. I believe 1.00mm pitch is considered fine 12mm thread while 1.25mm and 1.75mm are most common, but there can be 1.5mm 12mm threads also. ???????