• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New thread 3D Printing

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi All - I think we should have a new CNC forum for 3D printing. So here it is! Any comments on the thread itself put them here. Start new threads to discuss 3D printers, techniques, etc.

Tom O

Ultra Member
You could but there is way more 3D printers out there I’m just wondering if the site would be overwhelmed and steered off course!

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Im positive that this is a cross over medium, cnc steel printers are already using the same tech, built on a foundation of cnc programing widely used in metal fabrication and cnc machines. If i can get a grasp of the tech i would build a fluxcore printer, because why not!?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
You could but there is way more 3D printers out there I’m just wondering if the site would be overwhelmed and steered off course!

But as a prototyping medium, Gcode tutor etc it is an indispensable part of my shop now. If I can only get time to perform some lost wax casting...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Here is my ford boy making a really fancy aluminium part by casting from 3D printed lost wax process. Pretty neat stuff. My spouse was asking why did he need to fool around with all that piping through the sand. Why not just fill up the mold with aluminium to the top? I mean just fill the white investment cast mold?

Tom O

Ultra Member
I tried using some plaster and sand for a casting once after drying in the kiln they become quite brittle. I used a printed mold and that microwaveable material from PMS Hobbies you just heat it and pour giving you a rubbery pattern although it is flexible but could be strengthened with wire in the cavity or cooled in the fridge.

Tom O

Ultra Member
But as a prototyping medium, Gcode tutor etc it is an indispensable part of my shop now. If I can only get time to perform some lost wax casting...........

Are we talking about using the centrifuge type of casting? I have been toying with the idea of building one for my Sons wife and Daughter.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I think 3D discussions on this group should center around mold making, casting, and of course making any accessories /holders that we use in metal working.

There is a Calgary 3D Facebook group. They seem to be fairly active with monthly(?) meet ups.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Janger
Adding the top of the mold and the can on the top increases the hydrostatic pressure which helps to fill the mold.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
1fe604bc78b3418444604a90334a853d.jpg
7dd85a2910e6891632e5b8d73f7f21e9.jpg
a930da32f8fcb117474423150f79c6a2.jpg
e30597effce2e967871135522fcb4f3a.jpg
50e00ea2c97223cb0acdcfc13f340653.jpg
d4ee111f598e0207c5d65e9d00670f70.jpg

I mostly print parts as models for sand casting but have also replaced parts on my equipment including the pulleys on my cnc mill

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
How long did it take to print that?
42 hours. Allot of time was spent printing the supports that were needed for the top. I think I could have printed it upside-down and saved 10 hours but then it wouldn't look as nice from the front.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So since I have lots of people that have printers is this is a good thread to ask for suggestions about a FDM printer purchase? I was thinking about more basic model up to say $500 but fully functional, not a kit, just something that will do some prototyping and look decent. There seems to be a lot of choices - is there a trustworthy site comparing the models?

My research of resin vs. FDM show that resin is around 3x more expensive to run then FDM but in the same printer class produces a bit better resolution. Through the main "shine" area is use of resin that is "special" - for example - one that is resistant to heat.