• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New 10" X 54" mill ordered.

John Conroy

Premium Member
When I ordered the mill I originally went with a single phase motor option but after some thought I changed my order to a 3 phase. I had a Huanyang vfd on my old mill and loved the ability to adjust spindle speed during a cut so easily. The programability of acceleration times is also nice and really like soft starts on motors instead of the large inrush of current you get with a single phase unit. VFD's are so inexpensive now, and I went with a Teco L510 the same as the one on my lathe, total cost including the enclosure, switches, fan etc was under $500. Even the el-cheapo ones seem to work fine as I have had no trouble with the $80 no name one I installed on my drill press. I actually had the VFD installed in the enclosure and pre-wired long before the mill arrived and all that was left to do was connect the motor and the brake switch.

20210615_133254.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I ordered the mill I originally went with a single phase motor option but after some thought I changed my order to a 3 phase. I had a Huanyang vfd on my old mill and loved the ability to adjust spindle speed during a cut so easily. The programability of acceleration times is also nice and really like soft starts on motors instead of the large inrush of current you get with a single phase unit. VFD's are so inexpensive now, and I went with a Teco L510 the same as the one on my lathe, total cost including the enclosure, switches, fan etc was under $500. Even the el-cheapo ones seem to work fine as I have had no trouble with the $80 no name one I installed on my drill press. I actually had the VFD installed in the enclosure and pre-wired long before the mill arrived and all that was left to do was connect the motor and the brake switch.

I see. All good choices @John Conroy. My Hartford is a step pulley so it needs the VFD more than my Varidrive does. But I used the VFD (an L510 too) on the Varidrive before that and absolutely loved it there too.

If I can find an inexpensive new or used 2HP VFD, I would install it on the Varidrive and just up my price accordingly. I think it would sell better with a VFD on it - ready to use on 220 single phase power.

Watching a Mill make an ultra low speed cut using a VFD is nothing short of amazing. That demo alone would pop the eyes of a seasoned machinist right out of their head!

And I love your idea of using a VFD to bring down the spindle speed at max belt position to maintain a smoother belt. Just imagine what a cold winter shop would do......... :eek:

John Conroy

Premium Member
Today I made an update to the tachometer on the mill. I'm using one of the cheap digital/hall sensor tachs available on ebay or amazon and generally have been happy enough with its performance. When I installed it I machined a ring that is slip fit over the spindle nose to mount the magnet and I mounted the sensor in a threaded hole in the same aluminum housing I used to mount the spindle halo light.

I really didn't like the collection of swarf that built up on the magnet. Only a matter of time until some of that made it's way into the spindle taper. I got brave yesterday and drilled a 8mm hole 3mm deep into the edge of the lower sheave on the spindle belt pulley and installed an 8 X3 mm magnet with epoxy. the hard part was measuring the exact height of the pulley compared to the outside of the head casting but I managed to hit it dead center. I started with a 1/8" hole then went to 1/4" then 8mm. I had to make a sleeve with M12 X1.0 internal thread in order to get the sensor close enough to the magnet to trigger. This arrangement will only be accurate when using high range but I'm OK with that.

Of course I dropped the hall sensor and had to buy a new one but it works fine and I'm relieved I don't have to worry about that magnet on the spindle nose. anymore.