• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

My old mill drill needs some work

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Last night I finally got a quote and a few answers.

Change the order to 4-axis and watch the price quadruple. Jeepers Creepers! (still laughing about that!) And I'm still not sure I know what I'm getting! They just couldn't (or wouldn't) answer the question "Can I add z + Quill to get total z?"

In fact, when I look at the panel, I don't even see how additional functions like that would be accessed. There is no menu button that I can see. So I'm thinking this is a really simple box - what you see is what you get. But I have zero experience with DROs. Anybody here know more?

Ask them to email you an electronic copy of the Operation/User Manual. That will explain it's functions and how to access them.

I started poking around looking at 4 axis DROs and ya the prices are anything from $500 to $1000+. I didn't see anything with 4 scale inputs and 3 axis display outputs. Some call the lathe function a combine function.

That Arduino combiner I posted sure looks like a slick solution doesn't it. I also found an off the self combiner for around $120. M-DRO Linear Encoder Summing Interface | machine-dro.co.uk

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ask them to email you an electronic copy of the Operation/User Manual. That will explain it's functions and how to access them.

I started poking around looking at 4 axis DROs and ya the prices are anything from $500 to $1000+. I didn't see anything with 4 scale inputs and 3 axis display outputs. Some call the lathe function a combine function.

That Arduino combiner I posted sure looks like a slick solution doesn't it. I also found an off the self combiner for around $120. M-DRO Linear Encoder Summing Interface | machine-dro.co.uk

Already asked for the manuals. Prolly get them tonight.

If I have to pay 500 for a DRO, it won't be happening. I can do my own math for that kind of coin.

I love the Arduino solution. It's been a while since I last looked at what Dr Arduino has in his latest boxes. Then there are other faster more capable boxes around too. The raspberry pie intrigues the crap out of me. But I don't know a lot about it...... Yet.

I have this horrible feeling that I won't be able to resist buying linear scales and making my own touch screen box....... I'm too old for that. I'm starting to feel a bit like @Mcgyver - too many projects.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you are considering an encoder on the quill that ties into the DRO box, the challenge will be where to mount the scale & encoder & not conflict with other functionality. Typically for quills people use these for that reason. I might be dating myself as the conventional encoders are getting smaller all the time but I think they are pretty thick compared to shown. Newall makes Microsyn ~ 6mm dia carbon rods, but big bucks & not sure it will speak your DRO language anyways.

1631211876044.png

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have to replace a scale and encoder on the lathe I just got, while turning some leveling feet the swarf grabbed a cable and of course it’s discontinued so the replacement is $300. US plus delivery from South Korea ( fed ex ) and was here in five days the adapter coming from the States that was ordered on the 1st arrived at Vancouver on the 8th and supposedly here on the 9th. Total $422. Canadian

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have to replace a scale and encoder on the lathe I just got, while turning some leveling feet the swarf grabbed a cable and of course it’s discontinued so the replacement is $300. US plus delivery from South Korea ( fed ex ) and was here in five days the adapter coming from the States that was ordered on the 1st arrived at Vancouver on the 8th and supposedly here on the 9th. Total $422. Canadian

Holy crap. 300 US just for the scale....... I guess I shouldn't complain.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I’ve done some transactions with CDCO. Not rock-bottom pricing, but can be ordered a la carte.

http://www.cdcotools.com

After months of messing around with Raspberry Pi stuff, I gave up. I think in bits and wiring and can reel off TTL chip pinouts from memory, RPi is all software and trying to write Python code to direct a Linux OS was just too much. Too many layers of software between the inputs and outputs. You mainframe guys would be better at it, I’m a hardware guy with iffy coding skills.

johnnielsen

John (Makonjohn)
Premium Member
I know I've said it before but the simplest way to maintain alignment is to drill, tap and bolt the rack the milling head lifts and lowers on directly to the column.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well it was a glass 40" with 37" travel so it was a larger one.

I see. I only need 30" of travel on my lathe. It's a 12x36. Yours must be a biggie in comparison. Even so, maybe that's partly why the quote was so high. They were back on line last night. I asked them to itemize their quote so I can see if any of it makes sense for me. Wow...... What an ordeal.

Turns out the original ad that @YYCHM provided said it was magnetic but it was really optical. They told me that Magnetic is what drove the price up. But I looked around and there was lots of info to the contrary.

The ads are very misleading and so is the sales job. I feel preyed on. Makes me want to pay more to buy from dro pros instead.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I know I've said it before but the simplest way to maintain alignment is to drill, tap and bolt the rack the milling head lifts and lowers on directly to the column.

Wouldn't you also have to add ways and Gibbs to the rack to accomplish that?

My rack doesn't seem to move at all. At least not judging by the grease tracks on the column. But my head probably wobbles a good inch.

Anyway, I really don't see why this is a huge problem. If you crank the head up, I simply re-index as part of the process.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve done some transactions with CDCO. Not rock-bottom pricing, but can be ordered a la carte.

http://www.cdcotools.com

After months of messing around with Raspberry Pi stuff, I gave up. I think in bits and wiring and can reel off TTL chip pinouts from memory, RPi is all software and trying to write Python code to direct a Linux OS was just too much. Too many layers of software between the inputs and outputs. You mainframe guys would be better at it, I’m a hardware guy with iffy coding skills.

Too funny @whydontu!

I don't think of myself as a mainframe guy. But I probably was. I did a lot of high level work in Catia, Fortran, and proprietary software. So that shoe does fit.

However, I think of myself as a bit guy like you. My first love was at the hardware level working with sensors, circuits, TTL, cmos, and hardware drivers. etc. That usually meant that most coding was in machine or assembly language.

While most coders would call that binary, I like to say that I actually think in octal! As someone like you would know, octal is 3 bits - a perfect three bits! It is sooooo beautiful! I believe I already posted somewhere else on this forum, if only we humans had only used our fingers to count and left out our thumbs, we might all be thinking in octal today and we would all be so much better at math than we are. (Insert big huge sigh here......)

Please forgive me a short story I love to tell. I once programmed an hp41 calculator to play chess. I did it to enter a competition. A chess board is 8x8. So I converted all the positions into two octal pairs with rules for piece moves and weights for value. The game could be told how far to look ahead and maximum thinking time. It was formidable. But it also turned a light bulb on in my head. I converted all the octal data to decimal for the calculations and then back to octal for the play, and then back to decimal for output. So the program actually worked in octal. And slowly but surely, so did my brain. When the dust cleared, I had a working program and a mind that loved octal. I could do complex math in my head! I didn't win the competition, but I maintain that was only because the judges didn't have any clue about how hard good chess is. They probably compared my program to pacman. That's my story anyway.

The main result though was a lifetime love for octal. Ya, I can do hex and sometimes have to. Binary is a given. But octal will run rings around hex and decimal and that horrible SAE crap we all love so much too!

Sorry for the diversion......

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Turns out the original ad that @YYCHM provided said it was magnetic but it was really optical. They told me that Magnetic is what drove the price up. But I looked around and there was lots of info to the contrary.

The ads are very misleading and so is the sales job. I feel preyed on. Makes me want to pay more to buy from dro pros instead.

Did they provide you with the Operation/User Manual to look over?

Part of the pain with dealing with AliExpress, Banggood etc is the language barrier but they are good with issuing refunds etc if things fail to meet your expectations or get lost.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

I think you would like Arduino. You can easily write statements in C that read and write to pins.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did they provide you with the Operation/User Manual to look over?

Part of the pain with dealing with AliExpress, Banggood etc is the language barrier but they are good with issuing refunds etc if things fail to meet your expectations or get lost.

Nope. No manuals. Used the excuse that they haven't been converted to pdfs yet..... Ya, right. More likely wanted me to buy on blind faith since odds of returning go down on receipt or just didn't want to bother looking for one.

Yes, the language barrier is not trivial, but if she can call me "dear" and writes pretty damn good English, I think it's as above not lack of understanding.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you would like Arduino. You can easily write statements in C that read and write to pins.

As I said in another post I am familiar with it, and have danced all around it, just never used it.....yet. Pics, micro controllers, Parallax basic stamps, etc etc etc. Just no Arduino yet.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Nope. No manuals. Used the excuse that they haven't been converted to pdfs yet..... Ya, right. More likely wanted me to buy on blind faith since odds of returning go down on receipt or just didn't want to bother looking for one.

Yes, the language barrier is not trivial, but if she can call me "dear" and writes pretty damn good English, I think it's as above not lack of understanding.

Now listed as C$ 257.70 time to look else where.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, and contrary to the ad, that did NOT include the sensors! It was almost 400 at the old price after three optical units were added in, and over 500 with the magnetic ones the ad said it had! :mad:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, and contrary to the ad, that did NOT include the sensors! It was almost 400 at the old price after three optical units were added in, and over 500 with the magnetic ones the ad said it had! :mad:

WHAT??? That doesn't sound right.....

This order includes : 1pcs 3 axis digital readout/DRO GCS900-3/ , with 3 pcs linear scales travel length is 50-1000mm (Total length=travel length+138mm , Resolution is 5u , Travel length can be customized ) ,with mounting bracket , cable , It is one whole set .

I could see the magnetic scale vs optic scale thing being a screw up on the ad.

Something went sideways with how your quote request was interpreted.

Last edited: