• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool My most hated tool

Tool

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I fight with this $#&@ thing every time I use it. I need to bolt a plate to the side of the quick change and clamp it to the compound to keep it from rotating on the tool post, Does anybody have a Knurling tool they like? Style, Type? I need something big enough for a 14 inch lathe. PXL_20220808_202223599.jpg PXL_20220808_202256927.MP.jpg

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
To me the "Scissor" type is the best way to go. I've seen a couple of really nice homebuilt ones but can't find the at the moment, I'll keep looking.
I have a smaller (.750 capacity) scissor type but now I need to find those homebuilt ones and make a bigger one.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
This is the style I was thinking of.
There must be others out there that aren't charging for plans but this looks like a good one.

I have knurl on my Logan lathe with only a 1/2 hp motor.

I find the best result comes from gradually increasing pressure and depth of cut on multiple passes. Too deep is just hard on everything.

Oh one other thing lots of oil and in this case there is no such thing as too much.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
cut knurlers are the best knurlers, but I cannot afford to buy a commercially made one. Thanks. @YYCHM for the link to the design.... it *is* tempting...

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
yeah, get rid of those pressure knurlers, bin 'em, toss 'em, recycle 'em....yuck and your lathe likes them even less.

The scissor style work well. Crank it up, no undo pressure on any lathe parts and a full knurl in one pass.

Best are cut knurling tools. Run them at speed and get great knurls in a single pass.

Aghast at the price, I designed and made one several years ago that ended up running as a build article in Home Shop Machinist. It started in March 2010, can't believe how time is racing by. Its a bit the deluxe model with gearing to adjust for different diameters, done via a knob on the left side second photo (its otherwise a pain the get them set right) and a fine height adjustment (otherwise a pain to get even knurls). Second photo is of a knurl it cut in brass; brass can be notoriously hard to get good knurls on because it work hardens and get crumbly...but it s a breeze with a cut knurling tool.

2JnCW1f.jpg

veuU0SJ.jpg

OS6sqNO.jpg

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oooh very nice, but wow, gearing and adjustability! just when I started to think that a home build cut knurler might be a possibility for me, your exquisite example kind of set me back:rolleyes:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Thanks....its a bit complex, but imo necessary to stop it being a complete pain to use as you need to make those adjustments each time you use it. A pic below of the simpler Mk I being used. The complexity came as a result of, sans those two adjustments, and me concluding "what a pita this is to use!". Pay me now or pay later sort of thing lol.

However don't let the complexity turn you away. While a complex project takes more time, there is no single set up, cut or op anyone wouldn't be able to do...and thats all any project is, a series of set ups and cuts.

dlxDNWa.jpg

The innards:

h5k4ocw.jpg

Last edited:
Cut vs pressure, one of the ideal things with pressure knurling is it work hardens (forges) you knurling. In essence it leaves a case hardened finish increasing the life of the finished product.

In some materials this introduces other problems.

eotrfish

Super User
I made one a few years ago but dispensed with the height adjustment since the body was made to fit an AXA toolpost. I adjust height by turning the brass T-knob on top of the body.

CN 001.jpg

It's an interesting project and as Mcgyver said so eloquently...
there is no single set up, cut or op anyone wouldn't be able to do...and thats all any project is, a series of set ups and cuts.

Aliva

Super User
I just purchased a scissor type kit from Doug Gray Drafting and Design in Winnipeg.
The kit I got was the complete kit with all he required laser cut parts, a complete set of dimension and assembly drawings.
The literature is very well done and was easy to follow. I tried it out on various pieces of material and the results were better than I expected. I would highly recommend it.
I decided to go with the scissor style as the bump style I was using puts a massive amount of pressure on the spindle bearings, were as the scissor type does not. Here's the link to his site.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Doug Gray, a Canadian, has designed a knurler that might fit your needs:

Plans only are C$7. It is also available as a kit which includes all the materials, even HSS knurling wheels.

Craig
@Aliva hit "Post" just before I finished typing!

tourmax

I use the pressure type without issues. The key is to have your QCTP locked down good and solid and make a couple passes to create the knurls. Has it's limitations, but has always worked fine for me.

My QCTP sits on a solid plinth, I ditched the top compound for regular use. I do everything on the plinth and only install the top compound when I need it for a specific task. I also milled two shoulders on the plinth to lock the QCTP in place. If anything turns, it is down at the angle adjustment on the saddle and if that turns, I know that I'm doing something very wrong....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I made one a few years ago but dispensed with the height adjustment since the body was made to fit an AXA toolpost. I adjust height by turning the brass T-knob on top of the body.p

It's an interesting project and as Mcgyver said so eloquently...

This is absolutely beautiful @eotrfish. I like the way I could adapt the geometry to fit my BXA Toolpost.

Do you have a drawing and a parts list?

You and @Mcgyver are two VERY Talented Machinists!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just purchased a scissor type kit from Doug Gray Drafting and Design in Winnipeg.
The kit I got was the complete kit with all he required laser cut parts, a complete set of dimension and assembly drawings.
The literature is very well done and was easy to follow. I tried it out on various pieces of material and the results were better than I expected. I would highly recommend it.
I decided to go with the scissor style as the bump style I was using puts a massive amount of pressure on the spindle bearings, were as the scissor type does not. Here's the link to his site.

Boy, I'm tempted. Do the prices include shipping? How long did it take for the kit to arrive?

Six O Two

(Marco)
wow, some really amazing self-built knurling tools on display here!

In comparison, I feel like I hit the easy button on mine. I looked at the Doug Gray kits, but ended up just buying something off amazon. Having said that, these scissor-type ones have met my needs for the time being. Of course, when I bought them 2 years ago only, they were 2/3rds of the current price...