Multi-machine tachometer and machining calculator

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @TorontoBuilder. Look at the depth of the gear cavity on the two mill varients. The step pulley cavity is shallow. No room for movement. The varidrive cavity is deep enough for the gear to move as you suggested. This tends to validate your assumption.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hey @TorontoBuilder. Look at the depth of the gear cavity on the two mill varients. The step pulley cavity is shallow. No room for movement. The varidrive cavity is deep enough for the gear to move as you suggested. This tends to validate your assumption.
You can see why I prefer a nice simple more universal solution that avoids cracking open a mill head... the guts of all these mills are similar yet dissimilar enough to be a huge pain.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You can see why I prefer a nice simple more universal solution that avoids cracking open a mill head... the guts of all these mills are similar yet dissimilar enough to be a huge pain.

Agreed. If you are selling or making a one size fits all, simple is WAAAAY better.

But for you and I it's just one painful experience and it's over. I like the simplicity and lack of interference of a sensor up top on the big gear. You would have to ratio it, but could you put yours on the small gear?

As already stated, I'll prolly do something like you are planning until I get into my head enough to be able to make something better.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Agreed. If you are selling or making a one size fits all, simple is WAAAAY better.

But for you and I it's just one painful experience and it's over. I like the simplicity and lack of interference of a sensor up top on the big gear. You would have to ratio it, but could you put yours on the small gear?

As already stated, I'll prolly do something like you are planning until I get into my head enough to be able to make something better.

Regarding the one size fits all approach...

Our device is programmed to work with a simple hall effect sensor which supplies the microcontroller with a single wire carrying hall voltage signal having a square waveform that triggers in response to a passing magnetic fields, ie our magnet array. In our device the speed is calculated based on the set number of pulses per revolution and interval between the pulses.

As such, in order to use our device to sense the proximity and speed of gear teeth, the selection of a sensor requires some care to select a compatible sensor that reliably outputs a similar variable hall voltage in the same range as the original hall effect sensor. Normally open, 5 to 30 volts, 150-250 mA. There are plenty of proximity sensors that are normally open circuit and that will output a square wave voltage signal, and the cheap inductance sensors you can find on amazon will often fit the bill. But being cheap I question the reliability of the oscillator circuit that converts the varying inductance into the square wave output.

In my case though I did not want to rely on sensors of such dubious quality so I selected a product type with a different trigger mechanism and of far higher quality. I was referring to a specific type proximity sensor that detects gear teeth based on a hall effect sensor, and a permanent magnet that supplies a biased magnetic field. the hall effect sensor triggers when interacting with an external ferrous target, ie the gear teeth. The Phoenix America Series P5000 and the Omega OMDC-MPU-A. They're about 25 times the price, but they also are far far less likely to miss a tooth which would be disastrous when the program calculates speeds based on interval between the teeth passing the sensor.

I'm sorry for contributing to the confusion around proximity sensors. I hope this leaves everyone with a better understanding of the types of products available.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm sorry for contributing to the confusion around proximity sensors. I hope this leaves everyone with a better understanding of the types of products available.

No need to apologize TB!

I think your first question needs to be whether or not you are interested in making a gear tooth sensing unit. I can see lots of reasons why not and only a few reasons to do it.

If you decide its something you would like to do, then what about a built in signal conditioner? It's not hard to do. A square wave would stay a square wave. A low level ramp, sine, square, or whatever shape would become square too.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
No need to apologize TB!

I think your first question needs to be whether or not you are interested in making a gear tooth sensing unit. I can see lots of reasons why not and only a few reasons to do it.

If you decide its something you would like to do, then what about a built in signal conditioner? It's not hard to do. A square wave would stay a square wave. A low level ramp, sine, square, or whatever shape would become square too.
As I look at this more and more, I am becoming more interested.. And because we are cracking this puppy open anyway why not fully pimp this ride out. My brother even mentioned he wanted to anodise the aluminum scale mount parts.

I'm going to see if my brother will let me paint the mill in my chosen chipmaster colours too... tangerine pearl - Copy.PNG
passion pearl shimrin2 - Copy.PNG

eastman dead rat flat black - Copy.PNG