• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mistake

mbond

Premium Member
After further experimentation, I am sure that my biggest mistake was going too slowly. I am also sure that my mill does not have enough power to use this cutter properly with this material.

HSS center drill - cuts like butter

1/4" HSS drill - cuts like butter. Cuts better with a faster feed

a couple more HSS drills to widen the hole to 1/2" (the largest drill I have) - cuts like butter. Cuts better with a faster feed.

1" HSS countersink - Skates on the surface until enough pressure is applied. Then cuts well for a short time. Then goes back to skating (feed to slow) or stalls the motor

I than made a make shift boring bar from a chunk of 3/8th square HSS - I have no way to grind it, so it was a very crude tool. I managed to enlarge the hole from 1/2 to about 7/8ths, but the tool is so imprecise that I don't want to get any closer even when the fit up will be with wood

This all tells me that while the metal might be bad, it can't be _that_ hard. I think I either need to find a 1" drill, or figure something better to bore with than a square chunk of HSS gripped at an angle in a 3 jaw check. Having done this once, I don't recommend that anyone try this method ;)