• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Mistake

mbond

Premium Member
I got this annular cutter from Acusize today and couldn't wait to try it out. And promptly ruined it.

I have a mild steel block that I am trying to drill a 1" through hole in. As I don't have drills that size I thought this might work.

I have only manual feed, so I felt it work well for the first 1/8th or so, and then grind to a halt

What kind of tools work well for this application?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you use coolant?
I drilled a whack of 9/16" holes with my new Vevor mag drill and annular cutters using Koolmist 78 coolant and the holes and cutter were perfect afterwards.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
What RPM were you running? Project Farm on youtube did a video on various Annular Cutters and even the cheapest one made atleast one cut through mild steel. Did you use cutting fluid or coolant? The teeth on your cutter look like they got too hot.

mbond

Premium Member
Yes, I used cutting oil. I'm not sure of the exact RPM but it was low. I applied light pressure on the manual feed for about 15 seconds and then retracted the tool and flooded with oil again

It seemed to cut well this way for about the first 1/8th. Then chips stopped coming up and it started smoking as soon as I entered the work

When I pulled the tool out, and cleaned it, it looked like this

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, I used cutting oil. I'm not sure of the exact RPM but it was low. I applied light pressure on the manual feed for about 15 seconds and then retracted the tool and flooded with oil again

It seemed to cut well this way for about the first 1/8th. Then chips stopped coming up and it started smoking as soon as I entered the work

When I pulled the tool out, and cleaned it, it looked like this
Other will have way more experience than me on this but counterintuitively I understand that coolant is more important than lubricant.
Found this on the web:

justin1

Super User
Are you sure the block your drilling into is mild steel? Cause even a cheap hss cutter should do fine with mild steel at low speeds and moderate down pressure.
I know I screwed up. I just don't know how
Can you take picture of chunk of steel? Maybe some back story on it. More or less out of curious but maybe able to help identify depending on source or if it has anything special marked on it lol

Last edited:

mbond

Premium Member
It started life as a fitness weight. I assume it is mild, but I don't know for sure

As you can see, there were lots of chips at the start. And the discoloration indicates a lot of heat at the bottom

justin1

Super User
In this case picture is worth its weight in gold

Cast iron is very different from mild steel. Friendly enough material to work with when good quality depending on type.

but being a weight probly not the case and most likely you either hit a hard spot and/or friction hardened the hole your trying to drill.

If you could get hands on carbide annular cutter would probably be able to punch threw it (still good chance of breaking cutter in material once deeper)

I would recommend trying to drill out then bore to the size your trying to get. Probably get away with good quality HSS drill bits then switch to carbide boring bar

What are your trying to make anyways? may need to rethink material depending on goals.

Last edited:

mbond

Premium Member
You guys are great. I didn't even think that it might be slag

I am trying to make a 'thumper'. Something I can use to dislodge the MT3 from my mill without ruining all the brass stock that I have. I grabbed the nearest thing that I could find. Adding a small brass or copper cap should be east, but as an exercise, I want to add a handle too - hence the hole

I guess a boring head with a center drill is the next think to try?

justin1

Super User
Ye I would try that next probly gonna be a slow go at her but should yield some results.

But if your just making a non marring hammer out of it maybe look into going to the local tire shop get a bunch of lead or zinc weights. (Should be able to few pounds for free fairly easy) Then make a mold that's hammer shaped or use a soup can and remove can after and drill a hole threw the newly poured lead or zinc slug and add a handle.

Bonus of lead or zinc hammer is when you dicker it up enough you can just melt down and remake.

Zinc is harder then lead I would recommend making it zinc also less toxic. But toxicity doesn't matter much if your not licking your fingers after handling lol.

Bonus points if you cast the lead/zinc around a bolt then you can just thread it to a custom aluminum handle or somthing and make various quick change heads :)

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I see you got your answer. I always tell guys to avoid fitness weights. They often contain impurities that will kill any tool.

The other thing is that I find annular cutters don't like really slow feed. That makes them rub a bit. They need a bit of pressure to work properly so the chips carry the heat out.

I've used annular cutters up to 4 inches on steel with no problems.

Aluminium is like cutting butter.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You guys are great. I didn't even think that it might be slag

I am trying to make a 'thumper'. Something I can use to dislodge the MT3 from my mill without ruining all the brass stock that I have. I grabbed the nearest thing that I could find. Adding a small brass or copper cap should be east, but as an exercise, I want to add a handle too - hence the hole

Mega tip for you here.....

Go get a plastic sledge. Not rubber, heavy plastic.

There is something about the plastic that causes the taper to vibrate or something and release easily.

I discovered this by accident years ago. I used to use a brass hammer. It would take several harder hits to release the taper. The plastic takes one light rap and it's over.

I'll take a photo for you tomorrow. Guessing the head is 2" diameter x 4" long on a short handle.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
But if your just making a non marring hammer out of it maybe look into going to the local tire shop get a bunch of lead or zinc weights. (Should be able to few pounds for free fairly easy) Then make a mold that's hammer shaped or use a soup can and remove can after and drill a hole threw the newly poured lead or zinc slug and add a handle.

Bonus of lead or zinc hammer is when you dicker it up enough you can just melt down and remake.
That's what I did: I made a lead hammer for tapping the drawbar in my mini-mill. Wood molds work fine for pouring lead, and lead can be melted (outdoors) in a pot over a camping stove.
I've also machined cast iron from dumbbells and old sad irons. Pouring lead is a lot easier. :)