• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Mini Lathe Tool Post

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Got 2.5' of 2" X 2" square in the recent Group Buy and realized it's the perfect size for a tool post on my mini lathe.

2PIECE.JPG

It's going to replace this two piece version. For some reason MSM couldn't supply me with a 1.5" X 2" X 2" piece, so we went with a 1" and 1/2" piece? This style tool post is much more ridged than the compound rest and frees up a lot of space on a mini lathe.

BAR.JPG

Here I'm lobbing of 1 5/8" of my 2" X 2 " square stock. Many thanks to johnwa for selling me the PHS.

MILL.JPG

In the mill, squaring up the PHS cut and reducing to size. Finally found a use for the angle brackets I made up.

Just need to flip it over now, and mill to final dimension. Then the hard part starts. Locating and drilling the holes.

More later.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ready to drill and countersink the holes for the hold down cap screws.

COUNTERSINK.JPG

The question is..... should I drill the counter sink hole(s) first and then the though hole(s) or the through hole(s) and then countersink?

Any suggestions?

FINAL.JPG

Ends up the fact that I layed out the hole positions on the bottom of the post dictated that the counter sinking be done last.

So thar she is. A solid one piece tool rest. Had a fun day, sawing, laying out, milling, drilling, and tapping.

Last edited:

Brian H

Super User
I have a QCTP purchased from banggood. It is all aluminum and I am seeing some weaknesses. I would like to replicate it in steel so I am going to follow your build. Thanks for sharing.