• Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Mini Lathe Tool Post

Got 2.5' of 2" X 2" square in the recent Group Buy and realized it's the perfect size for a tool post on my mini lathe.

2PIECE.JPG

It's going to replace this two piece version. For some reason MSM couldn't supply me with a 1.5" X 2" X 2" piece, so we went with a 1" and 1/2" piece? This style tool post is much more ridged than the compound rest and frees up a lot of space on a mini lathe.

BAR.JPG

Here I'm lobbing of 1 5/8" of my 2" X 2 " square stock. Many thanks to johnwa for selling me the PHS.

MILL.JPG

In the mill, squaring up the PHS cut and reducing to size. Finally found a use for the angle brackets I made up.

Just need to flip it over now, and mill to final dimension. Then the hard part starts. Locating and drilling the holes.

More later.

Last edited:
Ready to drill and countersink the holes for the hold down cap screws.

COUNTERSINK.JPG

The question is..... should I drill the counter sink hole(s) first and then the though hole(s) or the through hole(s) and then countersink?

Any suggestions?

FINAL.JPG

Ends up the fact that I layed out the hole positions on the bottom of the post dictated that the counter sinking be done last.

So thar she is. A solid one piece tool rest. Had a fun day, sawing, laying out, milling, drilling, and tapping.

Last edited:
I have a QCTP purchased from banggood. It is all aluminum and I am seeing some weaknesses. I would like to replicate it in steel so I am going to follow your build. Thanks for sharing.