• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Vises

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think my clone was made in India, bought it a long time ago from a Winnipeg based outfit that has folded the doors. Vise serves my purposes.

Rauce

Ultra Member
In my experience the cheap vises (busy bee, vevor, aliexpress etc.) fall short in both accuracy and how well they clamp the part. Even if one of them happened to have all perfectly square and flat surfaces it would still be frustrating to use.

I have a “GS” brand Kurt clone I got from a buddy. It’s much better but still probably not as good as the top tier brand name stuff.

Also, I would add that I think the best place to find a good brand name 6” milling vise is industrial auctions. They usually get separated from the machines so you’ll often see a dozen or more vises in one auction. They don’t go for super cheap but you could easily get a Kurt or similar quality vise for $200-400.

I see things as follows on VISE's,

Do they clamp properly?
Are surfaces in the correct planes?
Since I set up my vice on the fixed jaw, that portion of accuracy is taken care of.

Don't forget all set up
Is off the part. So as long as those are met, the final is the becomes longevity then which is where the difference is between between Good cost effective Asian and Expensive Kurt.

For me that cost difference vs life of tool allows me to buy other important consumable items such as Carbide tooling as I won't likely wear out the Good Asian one.

Six O Two

(Marco)
There was one clone maker that seem to get some good press, Glacern. I think they are made in China but they either assembled and inspected or finish ground in California.

Glacerns are cast in Taiwan, same as Shars' Tegara line. For my money, that's a world of difference.

If I lived in the GTA, I'd definitely be looking at industrial auctions for a used Kurt, as Rauce mentioned. But I don't, and I couldn't even justify to myself the scratch and dent Kurts (which are a relatively good deal from Kurt, even with the exchange and shipping). I ended up looking at the mid-tier Taiwanese Kurt knockoffs - Homge (Precision Matthews and KBC), Teco, Tegara and the like.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In my experience the cheap vises (busy bee, vevor, aliexpress etc.) fall short in both accuracy and how well they clamp the part. Even if one of them happened to have all perfectly square and flat surfaces it would still be frustrating to use.

I have a “GS” brand Kurt clone I got from a buddy. It’s much better but still probably not as good as the top tier brand name stuff.

Also, I would add that I think the best place to find a good brand name 6” milling vise is industrial auctions. They usually get separated from the machines so you’ll often see a dozen or more vises in one auction. They don’t go for super cheap but you could easily get a Kurt or similar quality vise for $200-400.

If yours is a GS as in Gerardi Spa or Gerardi SOWA with a logo that looks like this one etched onto it,

20220420_130940.jpg

Then it's an outstanding quality Vise that is like 2 to 5 grand new.

There is some debate about whether the S stands for Spa (which is Italian for "Ltd") or SOWA who they partnered with here in North America. But regardless, the GS Vises are all first rate.

I got mine free with my Hartford mill. The seller had no idea that the vise was worth more than the mill!

It cost me 300 bucks just to buy new jaws for it.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If yours is a GS as in Gerardi Spa or Gerardi SOWA with a logo that looks like this one etched onto it,

View attachment 23316

Then it's an outstanding quality Vise that is like 2 to 5 grand new.

There is some debate about whether the S stands for Spa (which is Italian for "Ltd") or SOWA who they partnered with here in North America. But regardless, the GS Vises are all first rate.

I got mine free with my Hartford mill. The seller had no idea that the vise was worth more than the mill!

It cost me 300 bucks just to buy new jaws for it.
It’s not like the modular style GS vises we have at work, it looks like a Kurt and only opens to 5.9” or something like that. I know it originally came from Sowa but I don’t think it is a Gerardi, the newer ones like it under the GS branding are only $700.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The vise that @Janger and I bought is an Autowell vise made in Taiwan, and it goes on sale for around 500$ from time to time. It is an exact clone of as Kurt 633 vise, which is a very solid vise that opens to the same 6 inchish that all the clones do.

I got my Kurt, brand new, from the same place, Thomas Skinner by doing a 3 step price match... I picked it up in Calgary for just over 600$.

On the mill, your most used item is the vise, and between your ways and the vise, is responsible for all of your accuracy.

I have sold all my clone vises except the Autowell, which I am convinced is just as good as, or better than, my Kurt.

KAR has it on sale at $558.00 Thomas Skinner will price match it. If you are in Hamilton, there is going to be a distributor that will give you the same price. As I said, you won't notice the difference between this one and the Kurt DX6, and I own both.

here's the KAR link:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-- I should add that if you own an RF35 or RF40, a lesser vise will do. The limiting factor is in the rigidity of the machine more than the rigidity of the vise. I sold the best of my clones to a member, but he has a smaller machine.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
When I bought my first mill I also bought a Magnum brand 6" vise from KMS tools. I did some measurement checks on it and found that the bed was .010" higher at the rear than the front on one rail and .005 higher on the other.. I took it apart and used a flycutter to make the bed as flat as possible.

I also found that the fixed and moveable jaws were not the same height, both the permanent and replaceable ones. So after the bed was flat I also milled the jaws to match each other.

After all that the vise is pretty flat and square but I got frustrated with it's flexing when clamped tightly so I bought a Kurt DX6. The Kurt is a work art compared the the Magnum vise and the castings are so much harder and stiffer. It is a joy to use. I do still occasionally use the Magnum when I need 2 vises but I hate doing it.

Crosche

Super User
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here but I'm looking for opinions about milling vises.

First, how big a vise is the "right size" for a full size mill? 6 inch?

Second, right now I'm feeling mill poor so I'm not running out to invest in a Kurt, not to mention that they don't show up in the local Kijiji. I do know from using one that they're good equipment and quite desirable but..... is the equivalent Vevor 6" a reasonable option for a hobby machinist? Pro/Cons? I've seen some commentary/teardown that spoke favorabley of the Vevor/far east knock-offs.

Thanks

D:cool:

I have had my eyes on a 5" Tegara vise sold by Shars. https://www.shars.com/products/workholding/vise/5-550v-cnc-milling-machine-vise-0-0004-1

Crosche

Super User
I don't know if Shars has changed their UPS only to Canada shipping policy but I got hosed by UPS shipping and brokerage charges when I bought a 4-jaw chuck from them.

You are right, shipping could be quite expensive. If I were to purchase a heavy item like a vise, then I would have it shipped to the border and go pick it up.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Call Shars first. They will ship items via USPS to Canada if requested (vs UPS = $ dinger fees over & above shipping). But only up to a certain weight. My guess is vise will be outside that range. So yes border pickup or intermediary drop point probably advisable. I don't think their online cart system is smart enough to provide options knowing the customer location, but they are accommodating over the phone.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I did a lot of business with them they told me that USPS would only be possible for international shipments up to 30 lbs. They insisted I used UPS, but I got them to use Hercules transport instead. But man, they are $$$. (UPS was more) that's why I stopped using shars for anything biggerish. I like Shars, but not for the heavy stuff.
Nowadays choose their free shipping for continental US and chose a border agency - it is about half the price.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
When I did a lot of business with them they told me that USPS would only be possible for international shipments up to 30 lbs. They insisted I used UPS, but I got them to use Hercules transport instead. But man, they are $$$. (UPS was more) that's why I stopped using shars for anything biggerish. I like Shars, but not for the heavy stuff.
Nowadays choose their free shipping for continental US and chose a border agency - it is about half the price.
I had a very negative experience with Shars early on and I'll never buy from them again.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Shars is where I got my D1-6 cams from, at half price, then doubled the price for shipping. but I got them in 2 weeks. Total ws 80$ , but the Canadian alternatives were almost double that.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Shars is where I got my D1-6 cams from, at half price, then doubled the price for shipping. but I got them in 2 weeks. Total ws 80$ , but the Canadian alternatives were almost double that.
They sent me a defective backplate for my 4-jaw and I had to pay $60 UPS charges for the warranty replacement.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I’ve ordered a fair amount from them but always using a border service. Nothing for the past year or so