Milling Vises

Rauce

Ultra Member
Or so busy they have no time for auction watching.

Everyone I talk says they are crazy busy right now.....hope the interest rate hikes aren't too big a dose of cold water....its been good times the last two years despite Covid.
That's mostly what I hear as well. Job market for machinists and related professions is very tight right now as well.

Yes indeed! I was worried that we might be bidding against each other! Was tempted to connect with you to coordinate that. There were some pretty good deals there. I had the impression the bidding was not very aggressive.
I really only had my eye on the chucks I bought. There was a Gerardi vise and a gage block accessory kit I was watching but was only going to bid if they stayed cheap.

When I picked up the chucks on Friday just before noon there was a guy carting off dozens of boxes of toolholders and end mills, so there were some of the usual suspects at least.

When I picked up the chucks on Friday just before noon there was a guy carting off dozens of boxes of toolholders and end mills, so there were some of the usual suspects at least.

We must have just missed each other! I was there about noon on Friday as well! But when I was there no one else was in sight. The guy running the show had lots of time for me.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re: US border address (comments by @Degen, @Tecnico, @Susquatch)
FYI: I use Kinek in Niagara Falls NY (kinek.com). They also have other locations. They work like Susquatch's option #1.
They have worked well for me, with no issues.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re Auction: @Canadium, @Rauce
I'm in Burlington and would be interested in attending a Millen auction. What is their www address/contact info, I couldn't find them in a quick search?
- Maybe if CHMW members are attending such an auction they should post or PM so as to avoid bidding against each other.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Re Auction: @Canadium, @Rauce
I'm in Burlington and would be interested in attending a Millen auction. What is their www address/contact info, I couldn't find them in a quick search?
- Maybe if CHMW members are attending such an auction they should post or PM so as to avoid bidding against each other.
Millen was the name of machine shop closing down. Infinity Asset Solutions was the auctioneer.

All their auctions are run online through Bidspotter.

Typically there’s a day you can go and view the lots in person a day or two before bidding closes.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was thinking I would post the below question/photos in the "Looking for Answers" section. but I'll start here -
Yesterday my downsizing neighbour gave me a couple of very similar vises. I would like more info on this type of vise - use, manufacturer, value. They hold a part very securely and will be a much lower profile than a regular milling vise + can be placed on their side.
I cleaned them up and have them functioning perfectly. They seem to be very high quality and apparently tight tolerances. The one photo shows a AKT trademark but I couldn't find a match for that logo.
FYI: I'm on the hunt to add a mill to my toys, I have no milling experience. I have been adding things like: a milling vise (kijiji, 5" Precision Matthews); bar clamping kit; measuring instruments; cross sliding, T slotted table for my drill press; etc - so that my jump to milling will be a step, not a jump.
So here are the pics: (one of the pics is of the underside of the bases, where they differ a bit). Also, one came with a plastic box and appears old but maybe the box indicates it's not really that old or the box would be wood. IMG-7132.JPG IMG-7136.JPG IMG-7137.JPG IMG-7139.JPG IMG-7144.JPG

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re: bar clamping kit comment by @Janger, post 42.
A bar clamping kit is not as quick/convenient as a vise but will do almost everything you need to hold a part + things a vise can't. Good vise advice from John, with an inexpensive vise and bar clamping kit then the expensive vise can be added later.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was thinking I would post the below question/photos in the "Looking for Answers" section. but I'll start here -
Yesterday my downsizing neighbour gave me a couple of very similar vises. I would like more info on this type of vise - use, manufacturer, value. They hold a part very securely and will be a much lower profile than a regular milling vise + can be placed on their side.
I cleaned them up and have them functioning perfectly. They seem to be very high quality and apparently tight tolerances. The one photo shows a AKT trademark but I couldn't find a match for that logo.
FYI: I'm on the hunt to add a mill to my toys, I have no milling experience. I have been adding things like: a milling vise (kijiji, 5" Precision Matthews); bar clamping kit; measuring instruments; cross sliding, T slotted table for my drill press; etc - so that my jump to milling will be a step, not a jump.
So here are the pics: (one of the pics is of the underside of the bases, where they differ a bit). Also, one came with a plastic box and appears old but maybe the box indicates it's not really that old or the box would be wood.View attachment 23587View attachment 23588View attachment 23589View attachment 23590View attachment 23591

I believe these are all varients of what is often called a machinists vise. They can be used alone, but are more often used by clamping the machinists vise in a bigger vise and putting the work part in the smaller machinists vise. They come in a VERY WIDE range of quality. To use them alone, you usually have to make Pin Clamps.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Yesterday my downsizing neighbour gave me a couple of very similar vises. I would like more info on this type of vise - use, manufacturer, value.
Grinding or toolmakers vise. Use for, well, grinding :). They get used on the mag chuck and should be very accurate - ground all over, parallel and square. Used, around here (toronto), they'd be $100-$125 unless some special make. I don't know that brand, but a large percentage of the ones I've seen were shopmade, made by toolmakers likely during their apprenticeship. The quality of those is usually very high.

Lots of guys use them on benchtop mills, I guess because they are the right size. Nothing wrong with that, if it works, it works. Personally I'd prefer a milling vise in that those don't have a milling vise's clamping force and they're pain to adjust for size (well, the pin right through is, the scalloped style, on the left is less so). otoh the clamping force might not matter so much on a small mill where cutting forces are less

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
There are at least four types:

1. Outfits that give you a US Address where things get delivered to. They email you when you get a package. You have to go get it.

2. Outfits that you ship to in the US but they import it for you and then deliver to you or hold for you.

3. Outfits that do everything including delivery. AND GET AN IMPORT CERTIFICATE for things that are not normally allowed.

4. A buddy of yours in the US who helps you out.

Too many individual outfits to list. Just pick your poison and google it.
5. Friendly cross border truck driver
*coughs*

What do you mean? Up until January 2022 I didn’t see any changes
I speak with the owner of the shipping address I use, and she has been seeing a lot more trucks turned back to return the goods as they are not licensed/insured couriers then the goods listed on their manifests. I has lead to a few PO'd truckers. Additionally, I have been suggested on several occasions last year not to being doing that (which I wasn't in any case) in case I was thinking of it. Not sure what is going on or why, but it is a bad thing to get in their bad books.

Not sure how this is going to be now that restrictions are being lifted. Just be careful and aware.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I speak with the owner of the shipping address I use, and she has been seeing a lot more trucks turned back to return the goods as they are not licensed/insured couriers then the goods listed on their manifests. I has lead to a few PO'd truckers. Additionally, I have been suggested on several occasions last year not to being doing that (which I wasn't in any case) in case I was thinking of it. Not sure what is going on or why, but it is a bad thing to get in their bad books.

Not sure how this is going to be now that restrictions are being lifted. Just be careful and aware.
I’m not following? Are they declaring commercial goods at the booths not on the manifest?

Rookies :D

I don’t go anywhere near the border unless all commercial goods have been cleared for entry

I hadn’t heard about restrictions being lifted, I still can’t cross, what have you heard?