• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine DRO

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Shawn,
I am interested to know if your Offshore DRO came together easily.
Do you have a background with precision metrology ?
I just got it and need to clear a few things off of the plate before I tackle the install so it has not come together yet. I did power it all up and slid the scales and it all looks great!

I told myself to quit starting projects without finishing some,...but that is not going so well..... but I am trying. Butterflies are my nemesis! (Hey, that should be my new tagline....;) )

Sorry, not sure what you are asking? Low EMI in the environment in which I work? or do I do precision work? Those answers would be yes and no, respectively. ;)

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I am used to gauge blocks, dial indicators, optical comparators and height gauges for laying out work pieces (Ten-thousandths of an inch accuracy and similar precision machining).

The Chinese DRO probably registers to that accuracy, but, do you have the equipment to quantify the digital readout that is displayed ?

Measure a piece with a vernier or mic that you know is accurate and compare it to the DRO by taking a reading of a dimension that uses 80% or more of the axis total scale length.
This will give you a comparable measurement.
Let me know if your mic reading is the same as the DRO scales.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am used to gauge blocks, dial indicators, optical comparators and height gauges for laying out work pieces (Ten-thousandths of an inch accuracy and similar precision machining).

The Chinese DRO probably registers to that accuracy, but, do you have the equipment to quantify the digital readout that is displayed ?

Measure a piece with a vernier or mic that you know is accurate and compare it to the DRO by taking a reading of a dimension that uses 80% or more of the axis total scale length.
This will give you a comparable measurement.
Let me know if your mic reading is the same as the DRO scales.

Yeah I did that with mine. they are bang on. excellent. I did the X scale to high precision. You should do the test anyways, just to make sure your install is good. Chinese scales are very, very good.

Setup is with something you know, say with gage block & test indicator or similar. repeatability with any flat surface and test indicator. Scales that are set with measuring interval of a 2 tenths (5 micron - standard) are good enough for any B-port style machine.