• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine - $950 - Mississauga

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'll be going to look at it tomorrow. Anyone own a Darbert? I can't seem to find much on them. Seems they are similar to a King Rich.
Darbert is a local machinery company that imported mostly taiwanese clones of popular machines.

They are still in business and repairing every old mill they've sold so they must have parts inventory.

I should add, Darbert branded mills and parts come up fairly frequently in the GTA. I dont know what model this one is a clone of, but it is surely a clone of something

trevj

Ultra Member
Thanks for the info. It has a 10x50 table. I'm hoping it has a manual with it, but I won't hold my breath. This will be my first real milling machine. Good thing is I don't need to get it working in a hurry.
Pretty much any outfit that sells electric motors will be able to source a face mount motor that will bolt right in. Some research online, should get you the basics, as far as the flange and bolt spacing, but I would not expect it to be too unique. I would be pretty surprised if the step pulley needed, was not out of a catalog, and readily available as well.

If you pass on it, let us know what you figure it has going for or against it!

If you can do the work, and do the legwork, you should potentially be able to put a far better machine in your shop, than the money would normally buy!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Thanks for the info. It has a 10x50 table. I'm hoping it has a manual with it, but I won't hold my breath. This will be my first real milling machine. Good thing is I don't need to get it working in a hurry.
I'm pretty sure that this model is a Series 1 bridgeport clone with a 3 HP motor. R8 spindle...

If you're in the GTA you can count on help from my brother and I

Rauce

Ultra Member
as far as the flange and bolt spacing, but I would not expect it to be too unique. I would be pretty surprised if the step pulley needed, was not out of a catalog, and readily available as well.

That’s a vari-speed head machine so not a simple pulley. If it’s a clone it may not be too difficult to get though.

As for motors they aren’t necessarily standard. I can’t speak to this mill but on mine it’s not a standard face mount size and the shaft is longer than typical for mounting the vari-speed pulley.

Maker Mike

Premium Member
If I get it I'll try posting to information on what I am doing to it. Any movers in the GTA anyone would recommend. I am not up to trying to move it myself.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If I get it I'll try posting to information on what I am doing to it. Any movers in the GTA anyone would recommend. I am not up to trying to move it myself.

I think any pro mover would probably charge more than the price of that machine…

If the seller has a crane or forklift the only hard part is getting it off a trailer at your end. I’ve moved probably 6 or 7 machines in the last few years for myself and friends with Uhaul trailers.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

I do not know of any movers to use, which is why I am always moving our own equipment.

I do know where you can rent a gantry crane, and a pallet truck. Sadly, I think that machine exceeds the capacity of the 5x8 uhaul trailers.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For this money if it does seem otherwise OK adding a motor from used market is a small price to pay for full size BP. Come on. Its under 1000 - you cannot even easily get a new mini mill for that price nowadays!

Gantry can be rented for just over 100 or so. Search on Kajiji for trailer rentals - should be no more than $30 or so per day.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
For this money if it does seem otherwise OK adding a motor from used market is a small price to pay for full size BP. Come on. Its under 1000 - you cannot even easily get a new mini mill for that price nowadays!

Gantry can be rented for just over 100 or so. Search on Kajiji for trailer rentals - should be no more than $30 or so per day.
United rentals has gantry cranes whose legs can be spread just wide enough to straddle the larger uhaul trailers.

But United rentals suck. The last time I rented from them they gave me the wrong crane and we could not get sufficient height to pick up the bridgeport. It was the worst experience I've ever had. I bet it was the worst experience @Susquatch ever had as well.

You really have to trust who you rent a crane from... oh and united will make all sorts of other errors as well. I have never had a snmooth renal experience with them in Toronto.

They also charge for the chain hoist as well.

@Maker Mike please feel free to DM me if you want to get information that gives you the best chance of having a smooth move. I'd let you use my chainfall hoist and our pump truck. I'd let you use the gantry crane too... but I just dont know if we'd have the height or width for a trailer that can handle the weight.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Uhaul has double axle 6x12 trailers. That’s what I’ve used and before I had a vehicle that was rated to tow that, I’d get the Uhaul pickup with it.
yep that is what my brother and I used to use... but that trailer will not fit between the uprights of the princess auto gantry crane we own. :(

It will barely fit between the normal 2 ton 10" span aluminum gantry cranes from United rentals. If you want to use that uhaul trailer you must either rent the extra height 2 ton version with it set to the full height so you can get the cross supports high enough to clear the trailer rails as shown in the pic, or you need to rent the crane with a wider span option. I was never able to reserve a 12' or 15' span crane from UR, and half of the time they gave me the standard height version. They suck

We towed with buick redezvous with appropriate hitch.

This hydraulic surface grinder is the approximate weight of the mill in question.

IMG_20220301_131054834 (1).jpg

trevj

Ultra Member
That’s a vari-speed head machine so not a simple pulley. If it’s a clone it may not be too difficult to get though.

As for motors they aren’t necessarily standard. I can’t speak to this mill but on mine it’s not a standard face mount size and the shaft is longer than typical for mounting the vari-speed pulley.
Yeah, noticed that afterwards.

Still, it is the spring loaded side of the pulley, not the one controlled by the speed control... Snowmobile parts!

And with a VFD, a fixed pulley is not hard to live with!

Rauce

Ultra Member
yep that is what my brother and I used to use... but that trailer will not fit between the uprights of the princess auto gantry crane we own. :(

It will barely fit between the normal 2 ton 10" span aluminum gantry cranes from United rentals. If you want to use that uhaul trailer you must either rent the extra height 2 ton version with it set to the full height so you can get the cross supports high enough to clear the trailer rails as shown in the pic, or you need to rent the crane with a wider span option. I was never able to reserve a 12' or 15' span crane from UR, and half of the time they gave me the standard height version. They suck

Wider span would certainly make it easier but not absolutely necessary. When we moved Ian’s Bridgeport we used a vevor gantry to unload it and scooted the mill to the very back of the trailer to pick it. We supported the back corners of the trailer to keep it from tipping when the load got to the back.

I did something similar with my excello using an engine hoist. The engine hoist didn’t have the height or capacity to do it in one shot so I removed the head and ram on the trailer first.

Attachments

• A8DACA0A-358D-4BD0-90A9-31167E58C7C8.jpeg
    A8DACA0A-358D-4BD0-90A9-31167E58C7C8.jpeg
    664.3 KB · Views: 19

Maker Mike

Premium Member
I'm thinking if it is too expensive to hire out, then I get some machinery skates and rent a hydraulic ground level trailer. The place I'm picking it up from has fork lifts, so it shouldn't be a problem on that end. I just need to roll it off the trailer and into the garage. Might have to put an anchor in the back of the garage wall. Simple, what could go wrong, said my naïve self.

Attachments

• Blue Airtow Hydraulic Ground Level Equipment Trailer back view .jpeg
    Blue Airtow Hydraulic Ground Level Equipment Trailer back view .jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0