• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Micro brazing torch - any good?

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I'm looking for an inexpensive brazing outfit, for small silver soldering and brazing work. The oxy-gas systems at KMS are overkill and far over my budget when the gas bottles are figured in.

Amaz*n offers this: 1676853005017.png https://www.amazon.ca/Welding-Solde...16&sprefix=micro+brazing+torch,aps,172&sr=8-7

Does anyone have experience with that product?

I'd probably run oxy-propane or MAPP. Question though - how do I connect a small oxy cylinder to this? And who stocks very small oxygen tanks?

Don

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
That is a smith torch knock off. My spouse uses the smith for jewellery. Little oxygen tanks are at can tire and Kms.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Arbutus - My Smith works great. But only for teeny tiny jobs. As long as you use it within its limits it is just fine. Mine stays lit just fine.

I get my cylinders at crappy tire.

I'd say try it and return it if you don't like it.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

there is this dual gas setup torch from bernzomatic. I have one but rarely use it. There is a learning curve to any dual oxy/fuel setup. As this torch is bigger than the smith sized one it eats through the little disposable tanks quickly. You have to be careful to keep the torch tip away from the work or it will melt and you can't get spares. So with caution and judicious use it's probably pretty good. look into what you are doing as a MAPP gas only torch might suffice.

Perry

Ultra Member
I'm following along on this thread.

I could use a little torch to harden special little cutters I make up for my watch hobby. Presently using a little propane torch on a bottle and it could be hotter.

This was in a collection of stuff I bought a while back. I was told its good quality, but not too sure what is the best approach (economical) to get it up and running.

Attachments

• DSC_4802.JPG
    DSC_4802.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 13

Perry

Ultra Member
You could buy the PA set and use its canister adapters? Or cough up for the better ones. e.g. https://www.europeandesign.ca/regulator-for-disposable-tanks-6406prod.html

Your Meco torch is now >$400
I noticed the prices. Crazy.

That P.A. set looks like it only has a regulator for the Oxygen.

Found those other two regulators on Amazon ,but pricey. $147.66

Probably going to have to piece something together. I see OttoFrei lists the parts they use in the Meco Oxygen/Propane kit.

or better yet

Everything I need. For only $588.00 US. :(

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback folks!

MAPP doesnt work for the brazing I'm doing. My torch tip is more of a rosebud type so the hot spot is quite diffuse. But it is just not quite hot enough. A fine oxygas flame should do the job.

Those little regulators run about $150! Suddenly that $80 torch isnt so much of a bargain!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This was in a collection of stuff I bought a while back. I was told its good quality, but not too sure what is the best approach (economical) to get it up and running.
MECO is highly rated OA torch. Its the weapon of choice for many specialty fields.

Perry

Ultra Member
Thanks for the feedback folks!

MAPP doesnt work for the brazing I'm doing. My torch tip is more of a rosebud type so the hot spot is quite diffuse. But it is just not quite hot enough. A fine oxygas flame should do the job.

Those little regulators run about $150! Suddenly that $80 torch isnt so much of a bargain!
Don, sorry for taking over your thread ..... a little.

Just been reading up on the little disposable tanks. They say you use about 5 oxygen tanks to 1 fuel tank. At Canadian Tire the Benzomatic Oxygen is $25 ea.

Purchasing a small 20L oxygen tank with a regulator might pay itself off pretty fast.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I could use a little torch to harden special little cutters I make up for my watch hobby.

For small stuff, propane/air is imo the goto - temps are plenty high enough. (flame is 3600F, steel melts at 2500F). To help get more heat, what really makes a difference is a couple if IFB's - insulated fire bricks. You know, the super light ones, NOT firebrick's. Just make a corner out of two and set the work on it. They reflect almost all the heat so parts get to the critical temp very quickly

I'm looking for an inexpensive brazing outfit, for small silver soldering and brazing work.

For small, another vote for the Smith torch.

but for cheapest/easiest, it really depends on what small is. I have about every conceivable rig for heating and welding, and for small parts, silver soldering or heat treating, propane/air is my go to choice. Regulator on a 20lb bottle with a I think a Torbo torch, irrc (also have a Siebert, scary stuff!). Fuel is cheap and easy to get and a bottle lasts years (usually unitl I have to donate it to the worthy cause of a bbq dinner because we ran out)

The biggest advantage though, is that while the temps from propane/air are enough to burn the flux, its a heck of a lot hard to do than with O/A.

As soon as the work gets a little bigger, propane will be inadequate.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Sievert, sorry about the typo.....

Scary in the sense its a lot of flame and heat to use indoors. It may not be an accurate thing as for all I know they make small torches as well, but the name is a bit synomous (at least to my knowledge) with large BTU torches used for weed burning and roofing.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And I blindly copied your typo, yes SIEVERT. Yes they do make the big burners, but this handle seems suited to smaller model engineering type work. Lots of smaller tips to choose from. You probably saw the same posts on the other forum, but rather impressive silver soldering jobs on loco assemblies, boilers, tooling. The simplicity of a BBQ propane tank, easy refill, reasonable cost etc. is appealing to me. Its not for all jobs but I can myself see using it.

1676912152284.png