• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

machine paint?

Very interesting the comment on adding talc (powder?) to the paint prior to spraying to dull the gloss slightly. I will have to try that.

EDIT: Huh, TIL about 'Flattening Binders' that come in a premixed liquid form for various paint systems - and they seem to contain talc-like ingredients. Awesome info... I've only shot single stage urethane automotive/industrial finishes as an amateur before, so this is new voodoo to me.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can't deny the results, but just be mindful. Talc that used to be what was called baby powder was the subject of the great J&J lawsuit. What they now sell is some variant of cornstarch, well, until someone snorts a kg & it will be eliminated altogether LOL. Personally I don't care for it as a substitute (and its still available commercially elsewhere). Anyways, my recollection was talc was helpful to make finishes sand-able because the mineral is very soft (1 on Moh scale). Its common in putties & fillers. And some also used to increase viscosity a bit for fill coats (aviation dope). Just do some experiments with your paint system. Some accept fillers & others react poorly.

Kind of a side tangent but I was messing around with water based spray systems (specifically Createx) which are very different animals. They sell a reducer which works well but expensive as an airbrush cleaner. Of course I had to try everything in my vast arsenal. It did some very bizarre things especially in the presence of higher % hydrocarbons. Sometimes it gathered from a cloud into a single suspended globule like mercury, sometimes it fragmented into little grains. Windex actually dispersed it. methanol I think worked.... Etc. Etc.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I used to use fine silica dust to achieve a satin traction surface on climbing walls. It had a very slight texture, but turned the epoxy paint quite dull.

Last edited: