machine paint?

Very interesting the comment on adding talc (powder?) to the paint prior to spraying to dull the gloss slightly. I will have to try that.

EDIT: Huh, TIL about 'Flattening Binders' that come in a premixed liquid form for various paint systems - and they seem to contain talc-like ingredients. Awesome info... I've only shot single stage urethane automotive/industrial finishes as an amateur before, so this is new voodoo to me.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Can't deny the results, but just be mindful. Talc that used to be what was called baby powder was the subject of the great J&J lawsuit. What they now sell is some variant of cornstarch, well, until someone snorts a kg & it will be eliminated altogether LOL. Personally I don't care for it as a substitute (and its still available commercially elsewhere). Anyways, my recollection was talc was helpful to make finishes sand-able because the mineral is very soft (1 on Moh scale). Its common in putties & fillers. And some also used to increase viscosity a bit for fill coats (aviation dope). Just do some experiments with your paint system. Some accept fillers & others react poorly.

Kind of a side tangent but I was messing around with water based spray systems (specifically Createx) which are very different animals. They sell a reducer which works well but expensive as an airbrush cleaner. Of course I had to try everything in my vast arsenal. It did some very bizarre things especially in the presence of higher % hydrocarbons. Sometimes it gathered from a cloud into a single suspended globule like mercury, sometimes it fragmented into little grains. Windex actually dispersed it. methanol I think worked.... Etc. Etc.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I used to use fine silica dust to achieve a satin traction surface on climbing walls. It had a very slight texture, but turned the epoxy paint quite dull.

Last edited: